On playback cursor is out of synch with sound

AlanG wrote on 4/28/2022, 9:41 AM

Sound Forge Ver 16.0 Build 39 64 bit

Windows 11 10.00.22000 64 bit, 16GB RAM, Intel i7 1.3GHz processor

On playing back a sound file, the cursor moves through the waveform picture of the file approx 10 time faster and ahead of the sound heard and then shuts the sound down on reaching the end of the file making all editing impossible.

I have rebooted my pc and external usb sound card, reset all the Sound Forge preferences and deleted the cached data. Each time I have to reset the audio preferences from the default Windows Sound Mapper to my Asio Chord 44.1khz 768khz audio driver. The audio driver is working fine with other applications. Any ideas?

Comments

rraud wrote on 4/28/2022, 11:00 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @AlanG

- You already reset and cleared the cache?
- Are the file(s) on an external drive?
- Are there any Fx assigned to the automation Fx timeline chainer?
- Does SF behave normally with an internal sound card. Try another audio driver. ASIO-4-ALL works good for many folks with an external interface
- Does this happen with PCM audio files or just lossy formats like MP3?
(If this only occurs with lossy file types, enable: "Always proxy compressed formats" in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu).

I am not sure if Win 11 has anything to do with it, there are reports that SF Pro 16 runs without issue, no reports with SFAS (Audio Studio) that I can recall.

AlanG wrote on 4/28/2022, 12:35 PM

Hi @rraud. Thank you for your very prompt reply. I may have fixed the issue (see below) but I do not understand why when it has worked in the past directly linked to my external sound card driver. Anyway in answer to your questions ...

I have reset and cleared the cache (many many times!) plus rebooted the pc

Files imported from SD card I have been doing this for years with various SF versions

No FX assigned to the automation FX timeline chainer.

I have now tried a range of audio drivers and one appears to work - Windows Classic Wave Driver! It is mapped to the output channels of my external Chord sound card. The cursor now moves in real time when I play the audio so I am back in business! THANK YOU!!!

ASIO-4-ALL is not mapped to any output channels

I only use WAV files mostly 16bit/44.1khz

Cheers,

Alan

rraud wrote on 4/29/2022, 10:55 AM

You are welcome, I am glad your issue has been resolved.
Windows Classic Wave Driver is usually trouble-free and a ASIO driver is usually not needed with Sound Forge.