No multi-track/channel support for MIDI? - Magic Music Maker 15

jamieohara wrote on 9/9/2012, 8:21 PM

Hey, guys. I have recently found my old copy of Magix Music Maker 15, and have tried importing a MIDI into the program. However, I cannot edit individual tracks (ex: Give instruments to individual tracks). Instead, it's all one big sound block, and it's frustrating when I want to add an VST to a track.

If you don't know what I mean, look at a program like Synthfont. It seperates a MIDI into 'tracks', where you can add instruments to them, such as drums on a drum track.

This program has potential for MIDI editing (having it's own VSTi software, but it's disappointing to see it can't split a MIDI into tracks for better editing. I have to go into Synthfont, delete every track except one, and then reimport it to get what I want.

Is there a way to do this in MAGIX Music Maker 15, or is this better suited for another MAGIX program?

Comments

johnny2 wrote on 1/12/2014, 10:00 PM

The solution is not elegant but it is possible using the channel filters. Quoting from the Manual ....

"It's easier if you assign different software synthesizers to the MIDI object after you
load it. MIDI files of complete songs, for example like you might find on the Internet,
often contain multiple tracks that control different instruments. MAGIX Music Maker
2014 Premium is able to use one software synthesizer per track. For this reason,
duplicate your MIDI one beneath the other asoften as there are different instruments
involved and set the corresponding Channel filters (view page 88) in the MIDI objects
("Options" menu in the MIDI Editor) so thateach object only plays the notes for a
single channel. Next, assign software instruments for the individual channels via the
Track (view page 32) menu."

Note that you also need to hide the 'un-filtered' channels. 

This situation should be addressed by Magix at some point in the evolution of this product. 

p.j.-vanhorssen wrote on 7/25/2018, 7:34 AM

I know this is an old post but I am wondering if this issue is resolved in the 2019 version of the program?

johnebaker wrote on 7/25/2018, 7:44 AM

@p.j.-vanhorssen

Hi

There is no change in the process.

Music Maker is for creating music not trying to disassemble MIDI or audio.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

ralftaro wrote on 7/27/2018, 9:24 AM

John is correct - nothing has changed with regard to this particular feature and the MIDI capabilities of Music Maker. Picking apart multi-channel MIDI files and assigning each channel to a project track (so you can map an individual software instrument to each channel) is still a feature exclusive to the Samplitude product line. This does, however, include the consumer version Samplitude Music Studio. So, maybe that's of interest to you:

https://www.magix.com/gb/music/samplitude-music-studio/

This product is often available as an affordable bundle, together with the Music Maker Premium edition.