Newbie question - create complete DVD output but don't burn it...how?

jdavee wrote on 3/25/2013, 11:30 PM

I'm evaluating Magix Movie Edit Pro 2013.  Been a user of Pinnacle Studio for some time but it's having problems rendering my H.264 MP4 video from my new camcorder.

Magix is reading the files just fine.  But I still have to learn the program, and I'm having problems with the "intuitive" aspect of the interface.

I have a short (under 3min) video edited and ready.  I just want to output as a DVD but not actually burn the disc.  Unfortunately all I'm seeing is "Burn" for DVD output.

In Pinnacle, I could select to do everything for a DVD output except burn it.  I'm looking for something similar here.

I can't imagine that Magix doesn't have such a simple option, so I'm obviously not seeing it.

Questions:

1. Does the trial version enable all features or is it crippled?  I'm getting a message about licensing issues with MPEG-2 when I click the burning disc icon.

2. Assuming the app is not crippled, where do I tell it to produce all of the DVD output (VIDEO_TS folder, vob files, etc.) without actually attempting the burn?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

cpc000cpc wrote on 3/26/2013, 12:57 AM

Jim

I think all you have to do is choose 'Image recorder:' as your burning device and note where the files are being saved -- the 'Encode in directory' button further down.

You should get .VOB and other files file that can be burnt to a DVD if you want or simply view the VOBs with a suitable media player. Many users do this to do a final check on a project before using a blank DVD.

Regards,

Carl

terrypin wrote on 3/26/2013, 3:09 AM

I just want to output as a DVD but not actually burn the disc.  Unfortunately all I'm seeing is "Burn" for DVD output.

In Pinnacle, I could select to do everything for a DVD output except burn it.  I'm looking for something similar here.

I never burn from MEP. When the message appears asking me to insert a disc, I click Cancel (and then Close, to tidy up the screen). The DVD folder is in the location I specified here:

I then play it in VLC and if required burn it with ImgBurn.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Last changed by terrypin on 3/26/2013, 3:09 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK. PC: i7 6700K, 4.0 GHz, 32GB with Win 10 pro. Used many earlier versions of MEPP, currently mainly MEPP 2016 & 2017 (Using scores of macro scripts to add functionality, tailored to these versions.)

jdavee wrote on 3/26/2013, 8:25 PM

Thanks for both answers!  I'll give them a try and see if I can produce the test DVD files from my H.264 video. 

What about the MPEG-2 licensing question?  Is this just part of the trial package?

Also, when I tried Export to WMV, it seemed to output a file but there was no user feedback that it working.  No progress bar or other indicatin that it was churning away.  I could only tell by the CPU usage and seeing the file grow, both outside of the app itself.  Withing the app there was nothing and it looked like it was locked up.

Is that normal?

johnebaker wrote on 3/27/2013, 3:30 AM

Hi

. . . . What about the MPEG-2 licensing question?  Is this just part of the trial package? . . . .

Yes the mpeg licence is included in the full version of the software - when you decide to purchase get the Premium version as this includes other licences as well.

. . . . Also, when I tried Export to WMV, it seemed to output a file but there was no user feedback that it working. . . . .

The progress bar at the bottom of the screen works here.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/27/2013, 3:30 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jdavee wrote on 3/29/2013, 11:43 AM

johnebaker, does that mean that the evaluation/trial copy won't produce a DVD output?  I can't get it to make any DVD, always getting the MPEG-2 license message then nothing is generated and I see "Aborted by user" in the window.

But making a DVD is the key thing I'm testing!  I have this H.264 video from my new camcorder that other video editing software can't handle.  Magix is playing it back fine.  Now I need to confirm that it will produce a functional DVD of this camcorder video.

If I can't make a DVD then I can't confirm that Magix is the editor I want to buy.

Is there any way to produce a DVD in the trial package without hitting this MPEG-2 licensing issue?  I've reviewed the options on the burning setup and none deal with MPEG-2.  I'm OK with the 3 minute restriction, I just want to confirm that the DVD video is functional with an H.264 source.

jdavee wrote on 3/29/2013, 11:47 AM

johnebaker, another piece of info.  I tried a test DVD burn using an older video source from a DV tape camcorder, not the new H.264 format.  It had the same MPEG-2 error message.

It sure seems that I can't produce any DVD output without first buying the product.  Is this true?

Jim