Need help! Where should I start? Magix Pro X4!

christianmcolon wrote on 1/18/2013, 12:21 AM

I am brand new to Magix Pro X4    Where do I start?  Should I read the manual or look at tutorials online....or what?  Seems quite overwhelming at this point.  I am tempted to forget Magix and try Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 16, but I know Magix is much better.  Any sugguestions for me?  Thank You so Much!!!!!!!!

-Christian

Comments

cpc000cpc wrote on 1/18/2013, 1:00 AM

Christian,

All of the above, but most importantly learn by doing!

Rule #1 Fear Not: MEP and VPX are 'non-destructive' editors -- cut, chop, change color, crop, stretch, delete (from the timeline, not the media pool!) -- and nothing has happened to your original material. The project you save (a .MVP file) is a set of instructions like 'use the first 30 seconds of clip A, cross fade it over 10 seconds with a blue shifted left half of image B' and then do some fancy transition to the last minute of clip C'.

Rule#2 Learn the Timelines: Have a play! Drag objects (video, still images, audio files) onto several tracks and hit the play button under the preview screen [Space bar] shortcut.You'll soon realize that images are seen up from the bottom -- the lower (higher number) track material is displayed in front of what's above. \

Rule #3 WoW: Select an object and experiment with things under the 'Effects' tab like 'Video effects' >> 'Distortion' or 'Movement effects >> 'Rotation/mirror'. See what overlapping objects (drag one across another) does...

Rule #4 Admire Your Work: ASAP check out 'File' >>' Export movie' >> Video as (format of your choice)...' and see what you've done so far. Default settings will be OK for now. Note that you can set a range to test rather than the whole project.

Rule#5 There are no Rules!

With some seriousness though, what are you wanting to create? Suggestions are easier when the questions are more specific. We've got users here who are tops with their travel documentaries like Terry; others make music videos; if I got labeled it might be impressionist/abstract digital never finish anything 'cause there is always something new to try! :-)

All this after a few good South Australian reds and getting ready for the Tour Down Under!,

Carl

johnebaker wrote on 1/18/2013, 2:59 AM

Hi

Rule #6  If you get stuck come back here and ask for help - probably the most important rule .

And welcome to the forum and MEP/VPX and I agree about the competitor software (ex Pinnacle 9 man from a long long time ago - been using MEP from version 11)

@Carl - will have to try the reds next time down under !  Currently into German reds.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/18/2013, 3:01 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gandjcarr wrote on 1/19/2013, 5:17 AM

Hi Christian,

Don't rush from one product to another.  I have used the Pinnacle product and it has a pretty steep learning curve as well.  They all do!  I personally use Magix products to do all of my final editing.  I have two other products that I also use mostly because some of the free "extras" they offered with their premium product was cheaper than buying those extras directly.  I simply use the plug in on those products, export it as a video and bring it in to my Magix product.  Pinnacle is not one of the products that I use. 

There are many tutorials on YouTube.  Don't limit your search to only those created by Magix or specific to Video ProX 4.  The tutorials for Movie Edit Pro have direct relvance to ProX 4.

Finally as John points out, you have this forum.  Search the forum for quick answers to a question, if you can't find an answer ask here and try to be as specific as possible.  I know that many of the users here who respond to questions go to a great deal of work to try to simulate your question and provide detailed responses using images and or videos to step you through the answer.

Welcome to the forum!

George