Music Maker won't install

Daniel-Larson wrote on 9/2/2021, 5:35 PM

I purchased Music Maker Premium Edition 2022 today. In the email I received was a link to download the software. Everytime I attempt to install it by running the exe file, I get a "The installation files could not be extracted. there is no such archive". So, I went to the site and downloaded the trial version and it also gave the same error when I attempted to install it.

Comments

SP. wrote on 9/2/2021, 7:01 PM

@Daniel-Larson Maybe your firewall or Windows Defender just delete the files after they are extracted, You could try to temporarily turn them off. You can also try to disable the controlled folder access in Windows temporarily.

Daniel-Larson wrote on 9/2/2021, 7:51 PM

Thanks for the response but I found the solution. My normal computer account has "user" privileges and is not in the Local Administrators group. When I attempted to start the install, I was prompted for a password for my Admin account to authorize the changes to the computer. It didn't make any difference, the install always failed to extract. I attempted to run the install file by right-clicking on it and choosing "Run as Administrator", but it still failed. Then I logged on to my local administrator account and added my normal account to the Local Administrators group, then restarted. That fixed it. The program installed right away.

I should not have needed to do that to install Music Maker. I know that most people run their Windows computers using an account with full administrator privileges, but that is not a smart thing to do. Normally, installing new software or making changes to my computer when my account is just a normal user account just prompts me for the Admin password and it works fine. For Music Maker, it doesn't.