Music Maker not allowing me to activate instrument

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 8:47 AM

Bought Century Guitar years ago, opens in previous version of Music Maker, will not open in the 2018 edition. It has a lock key to show it's been downloaded, but it won't accept my activation code. Which is correct!

Strangely, also bought Lead Synth, and that opens fine. I'm guessing that instrument was free with the 2018 edition, or I selected it as one of the free instruments by mistake.

Reinstalling does not help, btw.

Windows 10 pc.

Comments

Larry98 wrote on 11/16/2017, 12:38 PM

Did you unlocked the older music maker version in the newest music maker using Activation Edition? Which older music maker was it.

MAGIX Fan seit 2014.

Aktuelle Programme (jeweils neueste Version)
Video deluxe Premium, Video Pro X, VEGAS Pro Edit 15, Music Maker und Xara Designer Pro X.
Eine komplette Programmliste findest du in meinem Profil.

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 12:40 PM

Yes.

Larry98 wrote on 11/16/2017, 12:41 PM

@Luuta Which Music Maker Version was it?

MAGIX Fan seit 2014.

Video deluxe Premium, Video Pro X, VEGAS Pro Edit 15, Music Maker und Xara Designer Pro X.

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 12:42 PM

I've activated 2015 Premium, 2016 Live 2017 Premium. It wouldn't let me activate 2014. I bought it at the time I had 2015 or 2016.

Larry98 wrote on 11/16/2017, 12:50 PM

What error appears after you add the 2014 serial number?

Music Maker 2017 Premium should unlock

• Church Organ
  • Cinematic Soundscapes
  • Concert Grand
  • Pop Drums
  • Lead Synth
  • Choir
  • Drum Engine
  • Jazz Drums

Music Maker 2016 Live should unlock

• Choir
  • Drum Engine
  • Jazz Drums​​​​​​​
  • Accordion​​​​​​​
  • Cinematic Synth
  • Folk
  • Soundtrack Percussion
  • Concert Guitar

Music Maker 2015 Premium should unlock

• Drum Engine
  • Jazz Drums
  • Analog Synths
  • Celtic Harp
  • Urban Drums
  • World Flutes

None of the versions unlock century guitar since it was only available in the mx version.

MAGIX Fan seit 2014.

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 12:56 PM

I know. I bought century guitar and lead synth from the Vita store. This explains why Lead Synth still works. So it's an issue when you buy the instrument from the Vita website in 2018

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 12:58 PM

What instruments should 2018 unlock, btw? I was a little confused over the installation for the new version. And thank you for helping.

Larry98 wrote on 11/16/2017, 1:01 PM

I know. I bought century guitar and lead synth from the Vita store. This explains why Lead Synth still works. So it's an issue when you buy the instrument from the Vita website in 2018

You simply unlocked lead synth using the 2017 serial number since it was part of it.

Did you bought century guitar from here?
http://www.magix.com/gb/hidden-extras/additional-instruments/2015/

MAGIX Fan seit 2014.

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 1:04 PM

Yes, I did.

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 1:05 PM

"2015 version or higher".

browj2 wrote on 11/16/2017, 2:13 PM

There's still a problem unlocking instruments purchased through Magix from before. Magix is aware of this and hopefully working on a solution.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 3:39 PM

Sadly, Magix have a very poor history of NOT fixing bugs in Music Maker, so I doubt this will ever be addressed by them. That's certainly my experience trying to get resolutions from them on other bugs over the years. They really need to look at the software from the ground up because to release a broken version and expect money for it is totally disrespectful.

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 3:40 PM

That's also why I posted my issue here, because their support dept totally ignored my request to have this issue addressed. I was hoping a user would have come across a fix.

browj2 wrote on 11/16/2017, 4:11 PM

Sadly, Magix have a very poor history of NOT fixing bugs in Music Maker, so I doubt this will ever be addressed by them. That's certainly my experience trying to get resolutions from them on other bugs over the years. They really need to look at the software from the ground up because to release a broken version and expect money for it is totally disrespectful.

This has not been my experience; Magix does indeed fix most bugs. I have been following these through many versions. This particular problem is due to the completely new method of obtaining/downloadingactivating/buying the add-ons, etc., through the Store. I received a beta patch yesterday that resolved the problem of not being able to activate instruments received with purchases of Samplitude Music Studio. I was able to activate a couple of them and the instruments became unlocked. However, the two that I had purchased directly from Magix, I could not find a way to unlock. I reported this to Magix. We will see soon what they say. So for now, we just have to be patient.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 4:16 PM

Hope you're right. It would be great to see that they have begun listening to their naturally irate customers. Strangely, I just got an email from them in response to my complaint here, sarcastically telling me, "Have fun!" So I'm not that hopeful, lol.

Luuta wrote on 11/16/2017, 4:18 PM

Larry98 wrote on 11/18/2017, 3:07 AM

Hope you're right. It would be great to see that they have begun listening to their naturally irate customers. Strangely, I just got an email from them in response to my complaint here, sarcastically telling me, "Have fun!" So I'm not that hopeful, lol.

Trust me the MAGIX Music Maker team are hearing to the customers.
Some features which I requested were added in the newest version + some of them are still in progress.
I will pass it on directly to the team. But it can take a while since the team currently doing other things which are also important.

browj2 wrote on 11/18/2017, 8:45 AM

@Luuta

The email is an automated message advising you of a comment on a topic that you are following on the forum and is not intended in any way to be sarcastic. As Horst has indicated, Magix is working to fix everything. There have been significant improvements over the first version of the new format, which was disastrous. I did a new install on another computer yesterday and the experience was quite different from the first time. It went quite smoothly. Keep watching for the next patch. I, too, am waiting for my 2 previously purchased instruments to work in MMM.

John CB

John C.B.

Luuta wrote on 11/18/2017, 9:18 AM

Unfortunate automated message! 😂

I do hope there has been a sea change at Magix and these issues are addressed. I have hoped through four versions that the software will once again import my Magix Jam projects, to no avail. If there has been a decision to squash the bugs at last, there is hope yet.

GRB wrote on 12/9/2017, 1:32 PM

Just reading over this topic as I am knee deep in figuring all this out for myself in the new Edition Activation and transferring of content.... so far pretty good actually, but not without a few hitches. I think this is a great idea and new direction for Magix, yet understand it may be more difficult than we know trying to offer and combine various evolution's of MM and content into one current seamless place, all the while doing authorization checks for each thing to make sure valid.

As for Magix as not having a good track record, I'm happy to say that I have had a great experience with them and the support when needed over past few years. Some issues here and there, yes, but I was always met here in forums, or officially by Magix Team with replies to my issues, in some cases the answers or fixes, other times a generous show of making it right to help ease the issue. Keep in mind that sometimes vibe is lost in translation between English speak and the return from someone where English is a second language. It can happen at times everywhere these days.

I'd suggest continuing with your official support ticket and explaining to them what you thought and what is not working so far. Never know, they may help you to get a new version of a missing instrument after verifying your ownership for it in first place.

Hope this helps offset some of the frustration for you.

Last changed by GRB on 12/9/2017, 1:33 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Cheers and may the Music Season be 24/7/365 !

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

GRB wrote on 12/9/2017, 1:36 PM

Btw, what does the "lock" icon mean in the store if I know I own it in one of my editions? Is this a 32/64 bit issue perhaps? Or a deeper validation issue if a product is not activated separately on a computer in addition to the Edition version taking ownership of it?

Thanks in advance!

Magix Installed & Loved: ACID Pro 11 / Samplitude Music Studio X8 / Music Maker 2025 Premium / Sound Forge Audio Studio 17 / SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4....

--- Current System: HP Laptop, 64bit, AMD Ryzen 5 7520U with Radeon Graphics, 16gb ram, 256gb SSD, running Win 11 Home and a Seagate 4TB external drive.

Luuta wrote on 12/9/2017, 5:22 PM

Magix sent me a new activation for Century Guitar, so that's sorted. The software still occasionally blue screens my pc, though, which isn't good, and still says things like 'cannot locate "" ..' when trying to load older projects or music jam projects, instead of actually giving the name of the missing loop and an option to find it. But you are right, the new version is much better than it was 4 years ago. I still can't trust it with my musical projects, though. Maybe in another ten years they will have made it reliable enough for it to be used for serious work.

GRB wrote on 12/9/2017, 8:11 PM

Magix sent me a new activation for Century Guitar, so that's sorted. The software still occasionally blue screens my pc, though, which isn't good, and still says things like 'cannot locate "" ..' when trying to load older projects or music jam projects, instead of actually giving the name of the missing loop and an option to find it. But you are right, the new version is much better than it was 4 years ago. I still can't trust it with my musical projects, though. Maybe in another ten years they will have made it reliable enough for it to be used for serious work.

Glad to hear you got the Century Guitar thing worked out. That is one of mine I am trying to figure out too. It shows with the lock icon at times. I will get to figuring it out better before I submit a ticket. I want to make sure I've done it all correctly and have tried everything before I say whats going on.

Ive never had a blue screen issue.... that may be an internal memory issue or something.... for kicks run your processing meter in windows and see what it shows when/if that happens again... just a guess/idea. May find its an unknown backgroud program spiking your cpu or taking all your ram for a second or two... I've had that come up before turning a bunch of stuff off that I didn't know about.

As for not trusting it with your projects, thats your call alone. In my experience and reading around, there is no music program in existence that doesn't have issues come up or over time, especially at new version or update time periods. All forums are filled with complaints on all software at times, even the big names people say are solid... problem is most daws do a million things, and each user is using it differently and features that nobody else is, so could be solid for most, not at all for some... all the same version til it gets sorted out. just saying. I've tried quite a few programs over past 5 years of playing around and learning about daw and home studio for fun, and I can say they are all great, yet all have issues in one way or another for some as I've seen or experienced myself in some cases. Logic, Studio One, Cubase, Sonar, Pro Tools, etc. Lots of complaints out there for them all for different reasons. Basically comes down to what works for you, what appeals to you about how something works, etc. Not everyone is going to agree.

If you are doing serious work projects, maybe consider using MM as a great and familiar creative tool, and export the project at some point into a more serious daw for mixing and mastering.... Samplitude Pro X (even Samplitude Music Studio) here at Magix is a great option since it share the same gui and workflow, or you could see if another product is more suited to your style for work after the creative stuff is put together... I find it fun to see whats out there.

Larry98 wrote on 12/10/2017, 1:48 AM

Glad to hear you got the Century Guitar thing worked out. That is one of mine I am trying to figure out too. It shows with the lock icon at times. I will get to figuring it out better before I submit a ticket. I want to make sure I've done it all correctly and have tried everything before I say whats going on.

How did you bought /unlocked century guitar?

MAGIX Fan seit 2014.