Music Maker Free Version - Dumbed Down?

digital_d wrote on 12/22/2017, 7:45 PM

I received a free version of Music Maker when I purchased MAGIX Movie Studio several months ago. I had never even installed it. About a month ago, I installed the free version that came with my Movie Studio. (I don't recall the version because of the following.)

Started learning to use it and found it interesting and fun, so I decided to check into more Soundpools for it. I eventually got a popup or something to upgrade via a file that was about 484 MB. I did that and it jacked up my access to the soundpools. This upgraded version is 24.1.6.127.

After being in contact with MAGIX support because of the upgrade locking up my program, I eventually downloaded the "new" version of the free MAGIX, as that was supposed to be a fix for the store freezing up my version. But accessing the store still locks up my program and I have to shut it down and relaunch to gain operational functions again.

But I realized with the updated free version 25.0.2.44, it only allows 8 tracks.

Just trying to confirm -- the "new" version does not offer the basic functionality of previous free versions? For instance, the "new" free version only allows for 8 tracks, whereas the previous free versions allowed up to 16 tracks.

Comments

dark_spartan wrote on 12/22/2017, 11:21 PM

Hmm, hard for me to be sure. I didn't hit the bottom of the 8 tracks until I was on premium, but there is only 8 tracks displaying by default. I had to right click on some text on a channel - I think it was on the Audio Record button text, and then press Add to add more channels.

The way they changed the software (every version is the free version, just with more or less stuff unlocked out of the store) makes sense. But if there is a channel limit, it is unlockable separate in the Features list in the store front. I really think it is a locked feature though, just in a wonky place to add. They mostly locked things like mp3 format exports and VST support.

digital_d wrote on 12/23/2017, 2:43 PM

It seems like they limited it with the update. I was able to preview the store's soundpools before my original update. Now it locks up the program on the update as well as for the new version I was told to download.

So I think I'll stick with my old free updated version and leave the new version and new soundpools alone. If you can't use your creations commercially it has limitations that I'm not accustomed to, anyway. I still use Sonic Foundry's Acid Pro (before it became Sony's IP and now Magix's IP). So I guess I'll stick with Acid for professional work, and use Magix for fun. It's just a disappointment that I can't easily obtain more loops for either.