Comments

SP. wrote on 7/3/2021, 2:13 PM

@Douglas-Wimberly It is recommended to uninstall the software with a tool like the free Revo Uninstaller. Maybe it will work after reinstalling.

Douglas-Wimberly wrote on 7/3/2021, 7:05 PM

I uninstalled Sound Forge V15 using Revo uninstaller. I reinstalled and have the same problem. MP3 is not even listed in the dropdown of Media File Types. Please advise.

SP. wrote on 7/4/2021, 1:02 AM

@Douglas-Wimberly I'm not sure what is blocking the MP3- plugin-DLL. Maybe Windows Defender is overprotective and deletes it. Maybe it helps to disable it temporarily if you reinstall Sound Forge. But I have sent you a private message. Please read it first.

rraud wrote on 7/4/2021, 10:38 AM

Which version of Sound Forge (Pro or AS)?

Assuming you have the 64 bit version installed, look in the C:\Program Files\SOUND FORGE> "FileIO Plug-Ins" (folder) > "mp3plug2" (folder), which should contain the "mp3plug2.dll" codec file. If the data is missing, an anti-virus app may very well be the cause as @SP. stated. The folder and file(s) can usually be pasted in if it is missing.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Douglas-Wimberly

Douglas-Wimberly wrote on 7/4/2021, 12:39 PM

I disabled my PCMatic Supershield and tried again. Here are some screenshots. As you can see the dll is in the directory but the MP3 file type is still not showing in the dropdown.

Douglas-Wimberly wrote on 7/4/2021, 12:59 PM

BTW I am running Sound Forge AS v15 64 bit.

rraud wrote on 7/4/2021, 1:04 PM

Re-read my above comment and state, 'Which version of Sound Forge 15 and look for the MP3 <.dll> codec file (or it's absence). 'FileIO Plug-Ins\mp3plug2\mp3plug2.dll' file.

Douglas-Wimberly wrote on 7/4/2021, 1:11 PM

I thought I did. Did the images I posted not show this? Yes, the mp3plug2.dll is in the FileIO Plug-Ins\mp3plug2 directory. Sound Forge AS v15.0 64 bit.

rraud wrote on 7/4/2021, 5:06 PM

In most cases the MP3 codec file is missing, since the codec file is there, I can only recommend uninstalling again with Revo, using the 'Advanced' scan mode. After removing the suggested data with Revo, shut down and cold boot the PC, then reinstall SF AS. If that does not work, you may have to request a support ticket from Magix Sound Forge Tech Support. btw, the tech support request sequence is confusing, you may want to peruse my multi-step cheat sheet.

Product-Owner_OOO_ wrote on 9/3/2021, 12:52 PM

Please update to the latest version. If this didn't help, check the solution in this thread: https://www.magix.info/de/forum/mp3-files-cannot-opened--1281380/

Please let us know, if this solution worked for you.