MP3 customization

Blaine-WItherow wrote on 5/2/2022, 2:21 PM

I want to save video files (audio) as MP3 192kps 48K, and not convert to 44.1K. In Sound Forge Pro 16, I no longer see a way to do that. I did this in many previous versions of Sound Forge. Converting to 44.1K seems to change the duration, or some players appear to change the duration. It is for broadcast so exact length is critical.

Comments

rraud wrote on 5/2/2022, 3:42 PM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Blaine-WItherow.

Just select the MP3 preset you desire.. or use the custom menu to set the encode parameters for your MP3.. Even If you select a different sample rate than what the original file is, it should not change the speed, pitch and duration.
If however, you change the file's sample rate in Sound Forge 'Properties' menu, that would cause a file to playback fast/slower and change the duration.

btw, 'Bit rate' is different from 'sample rate' and 'bit depth'. The maximum bit rate for the MP3 format is inherently 320kps, which would have better quality than a192kbs (or lower) MP3, but the file size would be larger. FYI, if you encode a mono (single-channel) MP3, the resolution doubles without doubling the file size .. which is good for material without any spacial (left-right) information (spoken word recordings for instance)..

Blaine-WItherow wrote on 1/15/2024, 10:46 AM

Although you can do 48K at 320kps, they no longer let you change 44.1K to 48K at 192kps, in SoundForgePro16, at least I have not found a way to do that. So I still use Sound Forge Pro 15. (I am coming from video which is 48K). I know most players should play the correct duration anyway, but some players, and windows explorer list the duration or length slightly shorter (which it shouldn't) and causes confustion.

rraud wrote on 1/15/2024, 2:38 PM

Hi @Blaine-WItherow, see my recent "Activate legacy MP3 plug-in" instruction comment. The current MP3 encoder in SF 16>17 has illogical restrictions .