Movie studio platinum 2022 has no timeline and content is missing

chris-carb wrote on 8/23/2022, 1:44 PM

This morning, I had movie studio 15. I wanted to simply split video and audio, couldn't do it, then discovered I also couldn't link to my audio editor as the option to link was missing in options, so I thought I'd upgrade. I assumed movie studio 2022 platinum was the version with absolutely everything in it, as the upgrade page said it included a ton of video content, so I thought it was a good deal. I chose the one-off annual payment instead of the subscription as I generally don't like subscriptions.

After a few hours downloading, installing, configuring....I now have a movie studio platinum 2022 which doesn't have the timeline section at the bottom where you see the audio and video tracks. It also does NOT have the content the upgrade page said it would have ( when I click magix content, it takes me to a page where I login, and it tells me the content is only for subscribers of video plus, video deluxe or something, and Movie studio platinum WHICH IS WHAT I BOUGHT !!! ). I paid more than the subscription price, so if I'm gonna be excluded from this, even though I paid more, then I want a refund.

On top of that, I've spent ages trying to find a direct contact link so I could message the contents of this post to Magix support, but everything led me here, so I'm making this post....very disappointed in this software, which is NOT the all singing all dancing software I thought I was paying for, and I don't even know if this will be seen by Magix support. Feel like I've wasted the entire day with this.

I'm using windows 10 64bit

Can anyone help with this ??

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 8/23/2022, 2:16 PM

@chris-carb

Hi and welcome to the forum.

. . . . does NOT have the content the upgrade page said it would have ( when I click magix content, it takes me to a page where I login, and it tells me the content is only for subscribers of video plus, video deluxe or something, and Movie studio platinum . . . .

After installing the main program did the activation with the serial number complete successfully?

If so, did you download and install all the extra content - you would have seen a dialog similar to this:

If not, the option to do this under Help in the program.

Clicking Magix Content shown below is for the Storyblocks content which is available only to subscribers and is clearly stated on the Magix website

. . . . video plus, video deluxe . . . .

In the EU the program is called Magix VideoDeluxe, for the rest of the world it is Magix Movie Studio.

. . . .  I had movie studio 15 . . . .

Vegas Movie Studio development was discontinued a year ago by Vegas Creative Software, what you have now is an entirely different program based on Movie Edit Pro, and was rebranded to Magix Movie Studio earlier this year.

The interface should look like this:

Note: - this is the same program before the rebranding.

If yours does not look like this then try resetting the program window arrangement selecting Window, Window arrangement, Standard.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/23/2022, 2:18 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

chris-carb wrote on 8/23/2022, 4:10 PM

Thank you.

For some reason the timeline window was dragged right down to the bottom by default as soon as I opened it up. I didn't touch a thing, and accidentally found the draggable bar after I posted.

Yes I downloaded that content, but it's just transition effects etc.....The content I was after was actual video content. That's what it showed on the upgrade page. I took a screenshot of it, but by the looks of it I can't attach an image here. It's not clear at all, and I feel duped. The main reason I upgraded, was for the content, because I'm a musician, and don't have the time or expertise to learn the whole video side of it, so when I upgrade and find out there is yet another higher tier that I have to subscribe to, that's really not what I signed up for.

I'm used to upgrade paths as I deal with audio DAWs and vsts etc....day in day out, so this was not clear at all.

How do I fade in an effect on a clip gradually ?
I want to start with the clip having no distortion, and then over about 5 seconds, gradually introduce the distortion. In the audio world it's done via an automation lane and you draw a curve from left to right. I'm assuming it's something similar in MS but can't find it.

chris-carb wrote on 8/23/2022, 4:27 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, it says "millions" there, so where is it ? Are you trying to tell me that is only for people who choose to rent it and pay $4 a month, and the ones who paid $54 for the year upfront, can't access this ??

This was on the upgrade page, just under where it says magix content.

johnebaker wrote on 8/23/2022, 4:33 PM

@chris-carb

Hi

. . . . The content I was after was actual video content. . . .

Are you referring to this item

This is the Magix content link I mentioned above.

. . . .How do I fade in an effect on a clip gradually ? . . .

Ther are several ways the quickest is to select the clip zoom in enough so you can see the orange/blue icons, indicated by the green arrows in the image below, at the beginning and end of a clip, click it and select your fade in / transition type. Use either the cyan arrowed option or drag the red arrow indicated handles to adjust the length - default is 1 second for a fade in/out.

There are a series of tutorials listed here which will help you find you way round the program, although they are done using Movie Edit Pro the principles are the same in Movie Studio.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

chris-carb wrote on 8/23/2022, 5:55 PM

@chris-carb

Hi

. . . . The content I was after was actual video content. . . .

Are you referring to this item

This is the Magix content link I mentioned above.

. . . .How do I fade in an effect on a clip gradually ? . . .

Ther are several ways the quickest is to select the clip zoom in enough so you can see the orange/blue icons, indicated by the green arrows in the image below, at the beginning and end of a clip, click it and select your fade in / transition type. Use either the cyan arrowed option or drag the red arrow indicated handles to adjust the length - default is 1 second for a fade in/out.

There are a series of tutorials listed here which will help you find you way round the program, although they are done using Movie Edit Pro the principles are the same in Movie Studio.

HTH

John EB

yes, that's the page I did the screenshot of. Mine was white because I have my browser set to dark mode, but fireshot sometimes takes screenshots like that when the page defies the dark mode rule. Another annoyance.

When I clicked to upgrade there was no other option to upgrade to anything else. There was nothing to click on to get either platinum or suite. I don't even know if I could upgrade to another version to get access to that content now.

Thanks. I figured out the transition thing and can make two images crossfade, but I still haven't managed to bring in an effect gradually

browj2 wrote on 8/23/2022, 8:02 PM

@chris-carb

Here is a proper screen shot of the page that you show:

You can download 10 per month; you don't get millions. And you have to have a subscription to get access. Other than being obvious and logical, it is clearly shown.

I think that you are thinking that you are going to get all kinds of wonderful things from StoryBlocks; you will likely be disappointed.

I suggest that you first look at what you now have - the content that comes from Magix with Movie Studio Platinum/Suite before you even think about something like StoryBlocks. Vegas Movie Studio came with almost zero content and templates; Magix Movie Studio is loaded.

For transitions, watch my tutorials:

There are many tutorials to help you under the Tutorials tab of this forum and on my YT channel.

For bringing in an effect gradually, in other words, animation, you need to learn about keyframing. Watch some tutorials and search for "keyframe" and "keyframing" in this forum and you'll find plenty of instruction and examples.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

chris-carb wrote on 8/24/2022, 9:32 AM

@chris-carb

Here is a proper screen shot of the page that you show:

You can download 10 per month; you don't get millions. And you have to have a subscription to get access. Other than being obvious and logical, it is clearly shown.

I think that you are thinking that you are going to get all kinds of wonderful things from StoryBlocks; you will likely be disappointed.

John CB

I don't even know what storyblocks are, so why would I think that ?

Why is this for subscription only ?

The two options were subscription at $4 per month, or pay $52 for the entire year. I paid the annual amount which is $4 more than the monthly amount, so why am I not allowed to access the same content when I paid more ? Mine was also paid in advance. Those who pay for the year should have exactly the same access as those who pay a month at a time. That, is my point.

CubeAce wrote on 8/24/2022, 10:27 AM

@chris-carb

Hi Chris.

With the monthly subscription (if people bother to read the terms and conditions) there is a minimum year contract and if someone wishes to withdraw early they could find themselves paying quite a bit more to cancel the contract and would not have access to the program during the cancellation period.

And then most of the audio and video content within MEP or from the store is neither royalty or copyright free, so to use it on a public platform would normally end with a copyright strike against you unless you pay additional fees for each clip or soundtrack you use. Those are not cheap. For home personal use then yes. but, not to be rebroadcast in any form be it disk or any form of electronic distribution. That is a fairly widespread contractual agreement across most editing software packages.

The reason for the price discrepancy is you get to keep your copy of the program after a year when your free technical support ends. Subscribers do not.

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4894

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

johnebaker wrote on 8/24/2022, 12:56 PM

@chris-carb

. . . . I don't even know what storyblocks are . . . .

If you had subscribed to Movie Studio you would have received access, through the Magix Content link to Storyblocks a resource of video, images, templates, effects etc.

. . . . Why is this for subscription only ? . . .

Because Storyblocks content is not free, and the subscription gives free access to Storyblocks resources to use in your own videos which you would otherwise, as in your case, would have to purchase from Storyblocks.

If you do not think you would use any resources from Storyblocks then there is no need to subscribe to Movie Studio.

John EB

chris-carb wrote on 8/24/2022, 3:24 PM

@chris-carb

Hi Chris.

With the monthly subscription (if people bother to read the terms and conditions) there is a minimum year contract and if someone wishes to withdraw early they could find themselves paying quite a bit more to cancel the contract and would not have access to the program during the cancellation period.

And then most of the audio and video content within MEP or from the store is neither royalty or copyright free, so to use it on a public platform would normally end with a copyright strike against you unless you pay additional fees for each clip or soundtrack you use. Those are not cheap. For home personal use then yes. but, not to be rebroadcast in any form be it disk or any form of electronic distribution. That is a fairly widespread contractual agreement across most editing software packages.

The reason for the price discrepancy is you get to keep your copy of the program after a year when your free technical support ends. Subscribers do not.

Ray.

That's ok. I made the correct choice then. I've no interest in using anything that isn't royalty free. I don't do it with my music, and I'm not gonna start doing it with video.
It begs the question of why magix would provide content for people to make videos that they then couldn't upload to youtube, vimeo etc....because of copyright infringement. It's like handing someone the keys to a ferrari and telling them they can't drive it.
I'm making videos cos I want them on youtube etc... promoting my albums, not so I can sit watching it on my own, unable to share it with anyone.
I get the copyright thing, and I'm all for it, because it protects my work too, but I don't get why they would knowingly provide material for people to make videos with that isn't copyright-free.

CubeAce wrote on 8/24/2022, 4:39 PM

@chris-carb

It begs the question of why magix would provide content for people to make videos that they then couldn't upload to youtube, vimeo etc....because of copyright infringement. It's like handing someone the keys to a ferrari and telling them they can't drive it.

Try hiring a Ferrari and see the terms and conditions that come with the hire agreement 😂.

It's just the way the industry goes in general now. It is better in my opinion to find a site that provides music and video stock that can be used both royalty free and copyright free but with non exclusive rights for a small monthly fee. There are one or two sites out there now doing just that and even a few that allow just a one month subscription but limited to ten choices which you can only use each file you chose once (as in one video) but even after your subscription has lapsed you can continue to use that file in that uploaded video.

For music, use YouTube's own free to use library.

Everything has a value now and more recently the means to enforce that value. Sometimes claims can be false or incorrect but the hassle of trying to get a claim revoked is often more difficult than just removing the offending article with the added risk of having your channel shut down. In most cases you are allowed to keep the offending item in a video with a claim against it but any money the video makes then goes to the person who made the claim,

Its a wonderful world we live in.

Ray.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

Former user wrote on 8/24/2022, 7:48 PM

@chris-carb Hi, a lot of people who upload to sites other than YT aren't making any money from it, you need a large amount of followers or subs to be able to monetise your videos, I upload videos occasionally to FB with music, i get no copyright flag or warning but if i upload to YT where i do monetise my videos, whether i monetise that video or not i get a copyright notice in my email, It's more to do with if you profit from the use of that video, that's why a lot of the Ticktock & Instagram videos seem to have the same backing track, it must be a royalty free option for public use offered by Ticktock & Instagram just as YT offers some tracks, .

Google - copyright vs royalty free - I did once 😱🤯😂 It's deep hole, I have never even tried to add music to my YT videos, way too much fuss

browj2 wrote on 8/24/2022, 10:04 PM

@chris-carb

A little late but:

I don't even know what storyblocks are, so why would I think that ?

Look at the first image that you posted - it says Storyblock in large letters at the right hand side. That is why you should think that.

Magix has to remit a monthly fee to Storyblocks for those who subscribe. I said obvious and logical - it should be obvious to all that neither Magix nor Storyblocks is going to give you unlimited access forever because you happened to purchase (license) a program for a small amount of money. And, it is clearly stated that it is only for those who subscribe; stop subscribing and no more access to Storyblocks and the program no longer works.

@CubeAce @Former user

All Magix content is Royaly-free. It is whether or not you have a non-commercial or commercial license that is important. There is no "copyright free" content from Magix and probably no one else, except for material that is in the public domain.. The copyright is retained by the owner of the copyright; you can get a license to use it. For content from Magix, please do not confuse Royalty-free with the type of license, they are not the same.

As John EB pointed out, even if you have a commercial license, you may get a copyright strike on YT. This is because there are some out there who use the same content and get someone to register the content id with YT as though they hold the copyright. They do not hold the copyright and they have no right to exclusive use. If they do not remove their copyright strike from your material, then you can round up a dozen other users who have the same material, get them to post to YT and then contest the copyright strike, warning the offending user that continuing to keep their content registered as theirs is an infringement on their terms of use and that they risk having the channel suspended or cancelled and any money from ad sense siezed by YT, or worse. YT monitors (so they say) contested content and if they see many complaints, they will act (hopefully).

Storyblocks is a different animal with different rules. The actual copyright holder may give you a copyright strike and you have to contest using the information provided by Storyblocks. More on this on the Vegas forum.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

CubeAce wrote on 8/25/2022, 3:17 AM

@browj2 @Former user @chris-carb @johnebaker

Hi John.

Thank you for the clarification.

It made me look deeper into the StoryBlocks content that comes with the subscription of VPX.

If true it is actually a very good deal as there appears (according to the website) to be no further limitations to such files after a subscription has lapsed. But looking at the wording is that just the basic Magix content or StoryBlocks?

As usual, clear as mud.

For VPX only.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 8/25/2022, 3:31 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

browj2 wrote on 8/25/2022, 1:10 PM

@CubeAce

Hi Ray,

Do not mix up the content that comes with VPX/MS with content that comes from Storyblocks with content that you purchase from the in-app Store. They are different.

VPX only - the additional content that comes with the program can be used commercially (no so in Movie Studio or Movie Edit Pro).

Store-bought - you need to purchase the proper license for the purpose intended.

Storyblocks with VPX - you can download up to 20 items per month and use them commercially. You do not have to use them during the subscription - you downloaded them for use now or later or not at all, it doesn't matter. Logic 101 - if your subscription lapses, you won't have access to Storyblocks to download anything more and, you will not be using the downloaded content in VPX - it doesn't work anymore because your subscription to VPX has lapsed and the program stops working. You can use the content in some other program to create your masterpiece (or in VPX if you purchase the perpetual license).

In all cases, Logic 101 - you can't go distributing the content to others - that would be piracy. You are supposed to use it in your creation. Just posting the song or image by itself is not your creation.

John CB

John C.B.

Former user wrote on 8/25/2022, 2:10 PM

@browj2 Thanks, I don't add music to my YT videos & if on site or in the house i'm working there's background music from radios i just avoid the issue by muting the sound 🙉😁👍,

CubeAce wrote on 8/25/2022, 2:32 PM

@browj2

Storyblocks with VPX - you can download up to 20 items per month and use them commercially. You do not have to use them during the subscription - you downloaded them for use now or later or not at all, it doesn't matter. Logic 101 - if your subscription lapses, you won't have access to Storyblocks to download anything more and, you will not be using the downloaded content in VPX - it doesn't work anymore because your subscription to VPX has lapsed and the program stops working. You can use the content in some other program to create your masterpiece (or in VPX if you purchase the perpetual license).

That's the part I find so interesting John.

That is better than the deal offered on StoryBlocks own website for individual users, and you get VPX thrown in basically for free for the duration at less than half the base price of a StoryBlocks minimum subscription.

Even then on StoryBlocks, look at the available music tracks and then the author / musician. Visit their hosting websites and see the terms and conditions there. You find not all PORs cover all countries and no relevant information what deals with which companies have been done.

I still find it a bit of a minefield especially when dealing with YouTube.

chris-carb wrote on 8/25/2022, 3:07 PM

@chris-carb Hi, a lot of people who upload to sites other than YT aren't making any money from it, you need a large amount of followers or subs to be able to monetise your videos, I upload videos occasionally to FB with music, i get no copyright flag or warning but if i upload to YT where i do monetise my videos, whether i monetise that video or not i get a copyright notice in my email, It's more to do with if you profit from the use of that video, that's why a lot of the Ticktock & Instagram videos seem to have the same backing track, it must be a royalty free option for public use offered by Ticktock & Instagram just as YT offers some tracks, .

Google - copyright vs royalty free - I did once 😱🤯😂 It's deep hole, I have never even tried to add music to my YT videos, way too much fuss

I'm not monetizing the videos. I'm using them to point to the music page by posting a link with it. I hate ads in videos when I'm watching them, so I don't want to inflict that on others.
I post the video. Hopefully the thumbnail catches their eye, they play the track and think I like this....where can I find more, then click the link. In theory, this is what I'd like to happen, but it doesn't happen as often as I'd like.

I understand the copyright / royalty free thing as I work in "sync" and deal with all that. Copyright is simply "the right to copy", so unless you're the copyright owner, copying the material is prohibited.

What I hoped for was content that waived those concerns, and was truly free, but there's rarely a free lunch, so I should've known better.
Well, at least I got the upgrade.......

browj2 wrote on 8/25/2022, 3:09 PM

@CubeAce

Hi Ray,

Yes, a subscription to Storyblocks is very expensive, so one would definitely want to use the material commercially. A subscription to VPX of MS is much less expensive. I expect that there are reasons why Storyblocks and Magix have the deal that they do. Probably, they figure that most subscribers would rarely download anything but they get the benefit of bulk monthly subscription fees.

@Former user

I use music in my home videos, which is most of what I do. I have music from a variety of sources - Music Maker Soundpools, Magix additional content, Magix Store, SmartSound, Pinnacle Studio music, and others - and I rarely use commercial music. Most are not uploaded to YT or, if they are, are unlisted.

I also use some music in my tutorials as you may have seen, particularly at the end and where I have a new topic. These are made using Soundpools in Music Maker. I have the commercial licenses for the Soundpools that I use. I tailor the music in Music Maker as I wish. I don't have background music while I'm narrating a tutorial, except at the end. It would be very rare that to get a copyright strike for these.

I make series of shorts in Music Maker - 5 to 10 seconds that help with transitions and subject changes.

For anyone wishing to use music in their videos, I strongly recommend using Music Maker Soundpools and instruments (some musical ability helps).

John C.B.

CubeAce wrote on 8/25/2022, 9:19 PM

@browj2 @Former user @chris-carb

Hi John.

I can say with confidence as someone who has copyright strikes against uploaded videos to YouTube that are private that you can still get copyright strikes. My sister's wedding video had such a strike for having part of an Ed Sheerer song playing in the background. Another one I changed as I got a copyright strike for having Winter Wonderland played by a Salvation Army brass band. Mainly American originated material will often get a copyright strike generated. English stuff, far less so. Especially when it comes to songs or music from old British films unless it's from the BBC. Copyright strikes can have one of three consequences..

The video would get Demonetized..

The video will not be available in all countries.

You will get a Take Down and Desist warning.

Only the last one can do a YouTube channel real harm as infringing that one more than twice can get a channel banned.

Some sound pools can be copyright protected but it is reasonable rare.

Sometimes even with a copyright strike an appeal can successfully be made and the copyright strike revoked using even quite famous soundbites depending on the context it is used within the video.

The whole process is very complex as I know two people who have had copyright strikes against their own original material with proof that it is their own material and have not been able to have the copyright strike revoked. Brought against them by companies that specialise in that type of action against YouTubers. David Harry (one YouTuber) has had to remove two of his videos over that. The appeal process has gone on for over two years now with no successful outcome.

Ray.

Last changed by CubeAce on 8/25/2022, 9:21 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

SirJM wrote on 5/4/2024, 6:40 AM

The product is Sound Forge Pro 18. I note that https://www.magix.com/int/music/sound-forge/sound-forge-pro-suite/ states that Storyblock is part of this upgrade. How does this effect with the above. Are they different or the same terms with respect to Magix's Storyblock specifications, since it did not state otherwise what is claimed by MAGIX has stated for Movie Studio 23 on this thread?!

johnebaker wrote on 5/4/2024, 12:33 PM

@SirJM

Hi

AFAICS the Storyblocks conditions are not the same as for the Magix video editors, there is a single text mention that it is limited to audio only, however the video clip regarding Storyblocks would suggest video is also included.

I would suggest you ask Magix by email to infoservice@magix.net for a definitive answer on the limitations is audio only and the number of downloads per month.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/4/2024, 12:35 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

SirJM wrote on 5/4/2024, 7:28 PM

@SirJM

"there is a single text mention that it is limited to audio only, however the video clip regarding Storyblocks would suggest video is also included."

"The video clip says that Video assets are instantly available when you upgrade to SF18 PRO Suite"

WRT "audio only", search results produced 0 results on all pages I visited WRT same.

Thank you for your time, for looking into this and your advice!