MMM64 latest release seems very buggy.

Mike-Behrend wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:15 PM

I just loaded the latest release of MMM64 on my i7 PC (win10 64 bit, latest version) and it is very unstable. I rarely get 3 minutes before MMM comes crashing down or freezes. I came here to see if there is an easy fix from the community, but it seems like I must post before I can look. My response: ok - you asked for it.

If this wont fix simply and quickly, the I am done with this software, and will move on to Ableton Live lite...

Comments

SP. wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:17 PM

@Mike-Behrend What are your audio settings in Music Maker? Are you using an ASIO driver? Try maximizing the audio buffer.

Mike-Behrend wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:28 PM

I can get it to crash simply by trying to load a past saved project ( start from new, save it as something, but requiring a move up or down in the file browser within MMM) then after it crashes ( read: completely shuts down, without an error, and returns me to the desktop) reopen the program ( double click from desktop shortcut); and then the program crashes as I try to open the past saved project - even as I negotiate to what folder it should be in...

In also hangs up after pressing the stop button on the software midi controller the program implements. I do this because I am listening to samples under the folder structure before choosing to incorporate them in a project, and when I stop the samples by pressing stop or pause, the program hangs ( repeats a short sample, over and over continuously, and does not respond to any over-ruling action: break, cntl break, etc. must kill via windows task manager...

I have tried all the audio settings, but only some of them result in audible sounds. (my sound card is the realtek onboard instance that shipped on the acer motherboard)

I will see if I can get the program to survive long enough to grab the current ausio settings to post below...

Mike-Behrend wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:31 PM

I am using the ASIO driver : Magix low latency 2016 driver, with 512 samples.

I am using MMM64bit 29.0.5.32

SP. wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:34 PM

@Mike-Behrend 512 samples are very low for a Realtek Audio Chipset. Try 2048 or 4096 or even something higher.

Because you have such severe problems with Music Maker I would suggest to update all drivers of your system if possible.

Mike-Behrend wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:37 PM

Here is my system info:

Device name    
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.40 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB
Device ID    
Product ID    
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

Its an older machine but very capable (except maybe the sound card)

I am using the Realtek HD audio manager 24bit 44000 samples setting

Mike-Behrend wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:45 PM

@SP, thanks - I will try updating all the drivers.

SP. wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:45 PM

Its an older machine but very capable (except maybe the sound card)

I am using the Realtek HD audio manager 24bit 44000 samples setting

That's like playing the latest Unreal Engine powered game with Intel HD Graphics. It's likely that you can get Music Maker to run much better by using an audio interface with a good ASIO driver. But that will cost you a lot of money. I think it is better to try a maximized audio buffer and newer drivers first.

johnebaker wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:47 PM

@Mike-Behrend

Hi

Assuming you are using an internal audio card eg Realtek HDA try the following settings:

These work well for me with no crashing.

Note: - if you have a different internal audio card/chipset the settings should be similar to above.

Crashing with a project open can leave the project file in a corrupt state and reloading it may crash MMM straight away.

It may also result in the programs setting initialisation file also being in a hung/corrupt state - the fix for this is to reset the program settings to default. I have not needed to do this with MMM 2021 however in previous versions it did mean installing all the Extra Content again. Examining the initialisation file for MMM 2021 it does look as though this may no longer be the case, however be prepared, it will be quicker if, on the initial download/installation of the Extra content, you elected to keep it in the Magix downloads folder.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

SP. wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:49 PM

@Mike-Behrend I found Snappy Driver to be very helpful to update all my system drivers to the newest versions. But be careful to make a system backup first in case something goes wrong.

Mike-Behrend wrote on 2/2/2021, 2:52 PM

just as a footnote- I also have a few other audio options: HyperX 7.1 Audio ( which runs through my headset - this would be my preferred route)

an NVIDIA High Definition audio option...

Which is likely best?

SP. wrote on 2/2/2021, 3:02 PM

If you want to use your USB Headset you need to use HyperX 7.1 Audio. If you want to use your graphics card HDMI ports you need to use Nvidia High Definition Audio. If you want to use your computer speakers or audio outputs you need to use Realtek HD Audio.

Mike-Behrend wrote on 2/2/2021, 3:09 PM

Thanks again @SP...that seems pretty clear (and obvious now). It also partly explains why different functions were playing through different sound systems on my rig. ( file sampling comes through the speakers, midi playback through the headset...

I have upped my buffers and for now, stability has increased...

and thanks also @johnebaker - clarifying the corrupted saved state has explained why loading most recent autosaves might not last long...

I will stick with this a little longer.

Cheers all for your help.

MauX-65 wrote on 2/2/2021, 5:20 PM

IMHO first you should buy a real sound card with its own asio drivers. M-Audio has created two very cheap models but both are really good for the money.
For the crashes that the program gives you, have you tried to check your system?
The simplest way is to run the command line (CMD) as administrator and type: sfc/scannow and see if the system gives you any errors that will, however, be fixed with this operation.
I have a PC similar to yours and I can tell you that with the latest update Music Maker works much better ...