MMM Crashes/Freezes at every start

giant4ray wrote on 4/17/2018, 12:01 PM

Hey,
I installed Music Maker, after launching it seems to start like it should, goes through the whole launch screen, then opens the normal program interface, then opens a smaller window with "welcome to music maker" and an activate edition button, which i would be glad to press but then the "magix" (i am sorry) happens.

The whole thing freezes to death, 0 Cpu utilization, can not tab into it, not clickable, not even closable without taskmanager. That is about the moment when the "ofa helper" shows up in the taskmanager, I dont know if this has something to do with it.

Sometimes the activation window is not fast enough to get through the freeze and a smaller window is visible which simply says "Loading..." and is frozen with the whole program stuck at 0%
I suspect that MMM is trying to load something and has an error while doing so?

I tried reinstalling several times, with rebooting after every step, without it, only at certain steps.

If i knew where to find an error log or something i would provide it.
I also dont know which version this is, its freshly downloaded and does not provide that much information as far as i know.

Read in that mentioned post that a new post should provide pc specs, so:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
GPU: Asus GTX 1060 Strix
RAM: 16 GB 3200
Storage: 240 gb SSD (to which MMM was installed by default, did not change that) +2Tb HDD+1Tb HDD

If there is something I should do to help you to help me just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 4/17/2018, 1:17 PM

Hi

The Magix_Ofa_Helper is the news feed function of the program. When this fails it can crash the program - normally it stops it closing.

By turning of the news feed you may be able to start the program correctly, to do this, with Music Maker closed, using Windows Explorer, locate the MusicMaker.ini file which is in the following folder

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\MAGIX\mm25

where username is the name you log on to the computer with.

Open it - using a text editor, not a word processing program, eg Notepad or Notepad++ which is my preferred text editor as it will format the ini correctly so you can see the sections easier, and locate the following section

[NewsFeedControl]
ItemCount=0
Settings=0
LastUpdate=0

Change the value of the Settings= to 1 so that it looks like this

[NewsFeedControl]
ItemCount=0
Settings=1
LastUpdate=0

then save the ini file.

Assuming there are no other issues the program should start correctly.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

giant4ray wrote on 4/17/2018, 1:50 PM

Sadly this did not fix it for me, as MusicMaker.ini was empty. I tried putting

[NewsFeedControl]
ItemCount=0
Settings=1
LastUpdate=0

in there and launching but it didnt change anything so i cleared the file again.

But in the same folder I found the crash log which has a long list of crashes with everytime the same description

"ASIO Boost Driver - cannot open SCM"

Does that help finding my problem?

johnebaker wrote on 4/17/2018, 2:58 PM

Hi

. . . . "ASIO Boost Driver - cannot open SCM" . . . .

That would suggest there is an issue with either Windows 10 or the program has not installed correctly.

Try re-installing using this procedure. This will check the Windows installation and ensure a clean re-install.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

giant4ray wrote on 4/17/2018, 4:01 PM

I followed the guide, system file checker did not find anything, clean install still freezes upon launch
Edit: Mh, found the version number: V25.1.0.59

giant4ray wrote on 4/17/2018, 4:47 PM

I dont know if this is a permanent solution but i tried everything i know could work right now and i managed to get past the freeze.

I used windows troubleshooting for compatibillity issues and it prompted me to use compatibillity mode for windows 8. So i did that and it did not freeze anymore, i did not use it since but i will enter my key now and hope the best

thanks a lot anyway, i really appreciate your help today😁

johnebaker wrote on 4/18/2018, 5:23 AM

Hi

Thanks for letting us know - hopefully you can get you serial number entered and register the program - you appear to be missing several updates - the latest version number is 25.1.2.78 as found under Help, About . . .

John EB

G4schberle wrote on 7/17/2018, 10:18 AM

Hi

I have the exact same problem as giant4ray had. Tried to clean install MM several times but it did not help. I also get the 'ASIO Boost driver - cannot open scm' message in the crash logfile. Logged in as a different user I get 'ASIO Boost driver not working' instead.

Sadly I can not use giant4rays workaround as my OS is a win 7, so launching an app in compatibility mode with win 8 is impossible. Launching MM with any other compatibility mode still leads to the crash.

The system is:

• Win 7 64Bit
  • Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Realtek onboard (gigabyte ga-g31m s2) soundcard

Hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

ralftaro wrote on 7/19/2018, 8:52 AM

Hi G4schberle,

Please get in touch with MAGIX support regarding this problem, if you haven't done so yet:

https://support2.magix.com/

This kind of issue calls for a closer look. I do see the message regarding the "ASIO Boost driver" in Music Maker log files frequently. However, from my experience, it doesn't really indicate any actual major problems with the program (or even the ASIO drivers) that would keep it from working. So, the real problem is likely somewhere else and needs to be properly diagnosed.

Cheers!