Migrating to new PC

kevin-whitney wrote on 11/14/2021, 4:24 AM

On my old PC, I used MP3 deluxe MX to organize my music library. For each track, I added custom text comments to help me select among thousands of tracks for use in my hobby (choregraphing to music). It took more than a year to complete the project :( I now have a new PC. I have downloaded the program to my PC, and it is recognizing my music properly - but of course all of my custom comments are missing. Is there any way to migrate my custom data to my new computer? Note: I no longer have the old computer, but saved all of the content to an external hard drive. I can't open the program on the hard drive, so I can't even view the old version to copy my comments manually.

Comments

SP. wrote on 11/14/2021, 4:39 AM

@kevin-whitney 

You cannot use the program on the external hard drive because you likely didn't backup up the Windows registry which is needed to run the program correctly because a lot of settings are stored there.

I don't know how the program works but most programs store data like your comments in a database. It often is a file of the filetype db. Can you check if such a file exists in your backup folder?

PATIENT-X wrote on 11/14/2021, 4:44 AM

@kevin-whitney

Hello, Welcome

This is an old program and may not function correctly on your new Pc, more so if you are running Windows 10.

This is the latest version of MP3 deluxe here, but it may not help you recover your custom text. Unless there is an import function to install your files using the latest version. You could try out the free trial version.

Unless someone else has a workaround to your issue.

Stephen

Forum Moderator

Last changed by PATIENT-X on 11/14/2021, 4:50 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard

kevin-whitney wrote on 11/14/2021, 5:32 AM

Apologies, but I'm new to this forum and I don't see a way to reply to specific comments. For SP. - thank you. Unfortunately there are no .db files, but I appreciate your helping me to refine what I'm looking for. For Patient-X - to install MP3 deluxe MX on my new computer, I just used the download option from my personal MAGIX account. The downloaded version SEEMS to be working properly, which is indeed odd if it's an old program. Still, I think it is worth trying the newest version to see whether it has more import functionality.

PATIENT-X wrote on 11/14/2021, 9:27 AM

If you type this symbol @ an automatic list will appear of the names in the thread and you just click on the name.

See screenshot

Stephen

Forum Moderator

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard

kevin-whitney wrote on 11/14/2021, 9:36 AM

@SP. Ah, yes!! Thank you - very helpful.