MIDI Device not recognized

jonas-geusebroek wrote on 1/13/2022, 4:11 PM

I have a keyboard (Yamaha) and a Focusrite MIDI audio interface, which I am trying to use with my Magix software (Premium 2021).

I got so far as to install the correct driver for the Focusrite audio interface and I have my computer recognize it as an "audio device". In the Windows sound panel I can also find it in the "recording" section. Better yet, if I have my keyboard connected to it and press a key, I can actually see (in the sound panel) that the audio device is getting audio through.

Now this is my problem: even though everything seems to work smoothly, in the program settings "Midi" page of Magix, it just doesn't show in the dropdown as input device, nor as an output device. However it does seem to be recognized as a playback device in the dropdown on the left side (audio playback section) of the program settings.

Please help me out!

Comments

MarcoStorm wrote on 1/14/2022, 2:00 AM

Dear @jonas-geusebroek,

it would be helpful if you could write down which exact keyboard and audio interface you have and what you want to do. As far as I understand is that your keyboard is not only a midi controller but can also create sounds, right? As you have that connectet to your interface as an audio input it could not be recognized by Music Maker as Midi Input, because there is no Midi connection to your keyboard. If your keyboard has an usb midi interface, you have to connect that to your pc via usb. If it only has midi din, you have to connect the keyboard via midi cable to your interface (midi in port). Then you could send midi from the keyboard over the interface to Music Maker, but the midi input device for Music Maker is then your audio interface.

jonas-geusebroek wrote on 1/16/2022, 5:57 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I have a variety of instruments (guitar, electronic drumkit etc) that I at some point would like to use as well.

My keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-E313, which is directly connected to a focusrite Scarlett Solo 1st Gen audio interface via large size audio jack.

The focusrite audio interface doesn't need external power supply, it is directly connected via usb to my laptop.

My hope and expectation was that anything going through the focusrite into a computer would be recognized as Midi signals, but I am starting to think I may be very wrong ;)

Graham-Hawker wrote on 1/16/2022, 6:49 AM

My keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-E313, which is directly connected to a focusrite Scarlett Solo 1st Gen audio interface via large size audio jack.

But what about midi connections. Midi is data not audio. I believe that the PSR-E313 has midi out and which need to be connected to the computer via a midi interface. The Scarlett Solo has no midi connection.

SP. wrote on 1/16/2022, 7:07 AM

@jonas-geusebroek You need to connect your keyboard also with the MIDI input on the backside of the Focusrite. This is only possible if you have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, 4i4 or better. Otherwise you need a MIDI USB interface.

jonas-geusebroek wrote on 1/16/2022, 10:04 AM

Thanks for all the input. I see that I perhaps need to obtain a Midi specific cable/interface to plug into the back of the keyboard and my laptop. My focusrite indeed does not have a USB input, so that seems useless. Would I be right in saying that I need something looking like this:

I do wonder how this would work using a microphone for vocals or guitar however. Obviously a guitar or microphone do not have that particular MIDI cable connection. My keyboard and drumkit do have those, the two black pinned connector interfaces (right?).

So, the only way I see recording vocals or guitar would still be through the focusrite audio interface.

SP. wrote on 1/16/2022, 11:21 AM

@jonas-geusebroek Yes, just connect your microphone and guitar to the Focusrite input to record the audio signal.

If you want create MIDI with a guitar or microphone there are special converters that convert sound to MIDI or software like Jam Origin MIDI Guitar or Vochlea Dubler.

Graham-Hawker wrote on 1/16/2022, 2:48 PM

I do wonder how this would work using a microphone for vocals or guitar however. Obviously a guitar or microphone do not have that particular MIDI cable connection.

Your still confusing audio and midi. Midi is not audio. You can't record midi and think you'll have an audio file that will play. You just have data which then drives something that can output audio like a synth.