Microphone and playback sound

beth-hall wrote on 3/30/2022, 11:34 AM

I work in Samplitue Pro X6 and also Vegas 19. I use the MME driver in Samplitude. I have Windows 10. I bought a USB condenser mic, the Tula microphone. When the mic is plugged in, I have playback sound in Samplitude. When I unplug, I now lose the sound. I took some music I've been working on in Samplitude and dropped it into Vegas. No sound. If I unplug the mic, I have sound in Vegas. So, I now have to plug in or unplug the mic to simply have playback sound in software. Is it a problem in the control panel of my PC? Is it a problem in the audio set up of Samplitude? I tried a different driver and only MME gives me sound.

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/30/2022, 1:13 PM

@beth-hall Has your computer a Realtek sound chip? Have you looked into the Realtek HD Audio Manager and its settings?

beth-hall wrote on 3/30/2022, 1:51 PM

I do have Realtek. I just went through the settings in Realtek and I can't fix it. Interestingly, I have sound when the mic is plugged in. I can pull the plug with playback on and I still have sound. If I stop the playback and start again, the sound is gone unless I plug the mic back in. Can you tell me the relevant setting to look at in Realtek?

beth-hall wrote on 3/30/2022, 2:02 PM

I plugged the mic into a port on top of the computer. Should I have found a way to plug into the back so that Realtek recognizes this mic as the Realtek microphone?

SP. wrote on 3/30/2022, 2:55 PM

@beth-hall Are you using an USB microphone or an audio jack microphone?

beth-hall wrote on 3/30/2022, 3:04 PM

The mic I used for years was audio jack. The new mic is USB condenser.

SP. wrote on 3/30/2022, 5:57 PM

@beth-hall Could you upload a screenshot of your Samplitude audio and driver settings? You can use the arrow icon above the text box to upload it to this forum. Usually you should get an USB microphone working by configuring it in the Magix Low Latency audio driver settings as an input device.

beth-hall wrote on 3/30/2022, 8:18 PM

I just switched to the low latency driver and playback is fine. The mic is not plugged in.

beth-hall wrote on 3/31/2022, 10:22 AM

I plugged in the mic using the low latency driver. I opened audio device and had it recognize the USB mic. When I arm the track, it's picking up the mic so I know I could record. When I try to playback with the mic plugged in, there's no sound. If I pull the mic, I have sound. Is this normal? Do I really have to plug and unplug every time I record and want to check the work? I don't know if such a cable exists, but would it make any difference to buy a cable with USB into the mic and jack for the port on the back of the computer?

SP. wrote on 3/31/2022, 11:49 AM

@beth-hall This shouldn't be necessary. Realtek HD Audio is disabled in your screenshot. And your Monitoring Mode is set to No Audio. Maybe it helps if you enable both.

beth-hall wrote on 3/31/2022, 12:33 PM

If I'm on the MME driver, it says no audio. I'm on the low latency driver now. If I enable the Tula mic, it only works if I disable Realtek. Is there a way to enable both?

SP. wrote on 3/31/2022, 5:30 PM

@beth-hall Has your microphone a headphone output?

beth-hall wrote on 3/31/2022, 5:54 PM

Yes

beth-hall wrote on 4/1/2022, 10:10 AM

You were correct to question the headphone output. I was finally able to talk to a tech at Sweetwater about the mic. Most USB mics have the headphone output. If the microphone is plugged in, I can only have playback through the headphone connection. The mic overrides the Realtek card. I could change drivers in Samplitude until the cows came home and it wouldn't matter. I can choose to buy computer type speakers with a 3.5 ml connection if I want playback without using headphones. Or I can choose to simply unplug the mic when I playback something I recorded. Thank you for your patience and help.