Many bugs mainly in 3D from serious to trivial

clement5 wrote on 6/10/2024, 10:40 AM

There are many bugs both minor and major in Movie Studio 2025 many of which were there previously.

1.      Zooming in on a picture doesn’t allow you to move it around.  All of my photo programs do allow moving zoomed images and this is a vital function. (enhancement)

2.      Zooming in on a monitor in 3D Row interlaced enlarges it after the stereo separation which kills the stereoscopic display.  The enlargement should be done before the right/left images are separated into alternate horizontal lines.  The anaglyph display does not have problems.

3.      Moving the monitor window window or going from normal to maximize often kills the 3D row interlaced display by swapping the lines between even or odd lines.  The left image should always be displayed on the odd numbered lines, while the right image should always be on the even numbered lines.  The actual standard should be checked.  So the top line #1 should display the L image while lin #2 should display the R image.

4.      Since there is now an increased use of lenticular 3D monitors the L/R views should be on alternating vertical strips (columns) (enhancement)

5.      Since glasses free monitors have now become popular there should be a 3D display option for alternate vertical strips or column interlaced which would be an easy addition. (enhancement)

6.      The export movie menus are inconsistent.  They usually retain the options from one export to the next with one glaring inconsistency.  The Stereo3D option always changes to 2D except for “uncompressed”mode which retains the settings.  Please change the behavior so that all “export movie” menus retain the settings of this option.  Both the video and the picture export menus need to be fixed.  I have complained about this previously, but nothing gets done on this simple problem.  The correct code exists in one menu so why can’t it be moved to the others?

7.      When exporting an MP4 the Advanced settings set the Stereo3D option back to 2D.  In other words if I select MP4 export and then set the Stereo3D option to anything  other than 2D it reverts to 2D if I press the Advanced button.  This sort of sloppy attention to detail is one reason why this Magix product has a reputation for being difficult and very buggy.  Menus should behave consistently.

8.      The monitor window has a button in the upper right corner which is used to maximize of minimize it.  While minimized (normal size) if the cursor hovers over it the message “Maximizes the preview monitor” appears.  While hovering over it while maximized the message is the same, which is incorrect.  If the same message is used for both conditions the correct message should be “Toggle the preview monitor size”.  Attention to small details makes the users more confident about the software.

9.      The stereo 3D effect has a bug.  The Auto option doesn’t work.  I have a number of 3D videos in 720P where the left image is 8 pixels higher than the right image.  I have to manually adjust it as the option did nothing.  I then tried it on a 3D picture.  It adjusted the image very incorrectly.  The correction needed was just vertical alignment, which it didn’t do.  Instead it rotated the R & L images in opposite directions which make it unviewable.  As I recall in an earlier version of the program it seemed to work OK.  I think it might have worked correctly on one video, but then stopped working.  This to me indicates that there may be a problem with memory overflow.  The free Stereo Photo Maker and Stereo Movie Maker work perfectly so why can’t Movie Studio do it.

10.  Movie Studio used to output 3D videos as MP4 full width, but now will only create MP4 half width videos.  However uncompressed AVIs still can create be created with full width.  Why was that promiscuously changed?  It needs to be restored.  Cyberlink Power Director can create MP4 full width videos.  It is possible to take a side by side 3D and ouput it at 7680x2160 which is the same as a full width 3D 3840x2160 3D.  But then I have to insert the 3D metadata.  When full width is requested for MP4 it just ouputs half width compressed (anamorphic) but inserts the metadata for full width 3D which results in wrong display.

I have some other bugs that have existed in previous versions, but have not had the time to scope out in 2025. The big one is that videos with 32.976 fps (24000/1001) are output with 23976/1000 and when compared with the original by putting them on separate tracks of MS the frames get progessively out of sync and have different time lengths. Apparently they are so PAL centric that they can't understand how to handle standard NTSC frame rates of which 23.976 is common on Blu-Rays in N. America for encoding movies.

Comments

clement5 wrote on 6/10/2024, 3:00 PM

Strike item 10. It does export 3D at the correct size for full width. There is a disparity between the output and what my 3D viewer thinks the aspect ratio should be. This is a continuous problem and I don't know which is the correct metadata.