Magix this is unacceptable! (MM Premium)

jubilee-nunn wrote on 9/15/2017, 3:19 AM

I recently bought Magix MM premium and I've experienced a lot of crashes and freezes and this is after the 2017 updates. But there are still so many bugs they need to fix and serious design flaws.

• In the midi editor, for instance, you can't scale notes unless you go out of inspector into full screen. Why?
  • And, why have a whole menu for instruments when you can just load them from the track (+) icons? It just seems like a huge waste of space.
  • The side menus are way too bloated! They had the right idea with the loops and files tabs which I can navigate through fine. But the instruments and store tabs, with its banners and ads, is so bloated like I'm on a windows phone. Srsly, I don't want to go through my vst library and look at boxes.
  • Why are your hotkeys so difficult and spaced out? To grab is cntrl 1 but to split is cntrl 6. Luckily I'm a veteran Starcraft player. God help me if I wasn't.
  • It constantly crashes. I know I said this in the begining but it's very unstable. Any type of complex project or operation will easily crash it. And it doesn't have autosave so you're pretty much screwed if you didn't save every 2mins.

I'm a woman and I'm saying this. DAW's shouldn't focus on aesthetics they should focus on work flow. I get this industry is mostly male dominated but one good thing about it is it's always been about work flow, they don't care if it looks pretty. You have pro's using Ableton, Mixcraft or Protools which all look ugly as sin like I'm back on Windows 95; but hey, the work flow is there. And that's my biggest grip with this software. The fact that it's unstable is one thing but also that it focuses too much on how it looks instead of its work flow. But if they don't fix these issues soon and I'm forced to move on I'm never coming back.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 9/15/2017, 3:58 AM

Hi

This is a user to user forum, however there are many experienced users of Music Maker who may be able to help with the problems you are having.

However before posting please read this topic and this topic. and, if you have not done so already, please read the installed PDF manual available under Help.

. . . . The side menus are way too bloated! . . . .

You can turn these off with the indicated button shown below.

. . . . I've experienced a lot of crashes and freezes and this is after the 2017 updates. . . . .

We need more information:

1. Computer specification - processor make/model, graphics card or chipset, RAM,  hard drive configuration, sizes and free space?

2. Windows version and is it up to date?  Press and hold down the Windows key and the R key - in the dialog that opens type in winver and press enter.

3. Software full name and version number - as found under Help, About . . .

4. Specific details of the sequence of events that causes a crash.

. . . . And it doesn't have autosave . . . .

The Auto save setting default is every 10 mins, you can change this in the Program settings (P key) as shown below

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jubilee-nunn wrote on 9/15/2017, 2:03 PM

Assuming you're a Magix employee... here's something you can do. Go out and buy a regular laptop or computer DOES NOT have to be expensive just your run of the mill. Install Magix MM Premium on there, play around with it, and see how it runs.

The point of this exercise is that a person(s) hardware shouldn't be optimal to run your software. Remember you're trying to sell this to as many people as you can.

(Windows 10 Home Version 1703 Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @1.70GHz RAM 8.00 64-bit OS and based processor.)

johnebaker wrote on 9/15/2017, 11:42 PM

Hi

I am not a Magix employee and have a PC and laptop, both Intel i5 with HD4600 integrated GPU, running Music Maker Premium and they both run fine.

Without more information on items 3 and 4 I asked above, and the specific 'bugs' you have found, it is difficult for us to help you.

We appreciate the frustration and annoyance that issues can cause, however please confine your replies to facts, extraneous comments such as the above are not necessary, and when asked for further information please respond to the request with the specific information requested and any additional information that may apply eg error messages etc.

John EB

Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

browj2 wrote on 9/15/2017, 11:48 PM

Hi,

The people here are not Magix employees, just users. What is your point?

John EB answered most of your questions. Look at the Specifications on the Magix.com website to see what the minimum requirements are, not optimal requirements. Optimal would be higher. Again, what is your point? Are you saying that Magix should not have minimum requirements to run their software?

MMM should work ok on your computer with 8 GB of RAM. Do you have some kind of a problem with MMM on your computer?

"In the midi editor, for instance, you can't scale notes unless you go out of inspector into full screen. Why?"

I don't know what you mean by "scale notes." Do you mean stretch them or shrink them? Move them? In the inspector, which is just the piano roll window that you can increase the size of, you can modify everything that you can on the full screen; it's the same thing.

"Why are your hotkeys so difficult and spaced out? To grab is cntrl 1 but to split is cntrl 6."

Again, what are you talking about? Grab? Use the mouse. Split? The shortcut is "T." Shortcuts are shown in the manual starting on page 273. The ones that you mention are:

Zoom 1 frame Ctrl+1

Zoom 5 frames Ctrl+2

Zoom 1 sec Ctrl+3

Zoom 10 sec Ctrl+4

Zoom 1 min Ctrl+5

Zoom 10 min Ctrl+6

"DAW's shouldn't focus on aesthetics they should focus on work flow."

MMM isn't really a DAW; Samplitude Pro X is a DAW.

What work flow do you mean? I can't see anything simpler than MMM to do what it does.

@johnebaker

Cross-posted.

Last changed by browj2 on 9/15/2017, 11:50 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

browj2 wrote on 9/16/2017, 9:59 AM

@jubilee-nunn

I have since found that the list that I posted, copied/pasted from the MMM manual is erroneous and that you are correct. I will raise a ticket with Magix about correcting the manual. It was also the same in the 2016 version.

The Ctrl+1 and Ctrl+6 that you refer to are mouse modes. Look at the pop-down list in the image below.

You set the mouse mode and then the mouse does whatever you have set until you choose another mode. The mode most commonly used is the first one. I almost always keep this as the mode. Each of the mouse modes on the list has a shortcut. Split mode is the 6th on the list, thus the shortcut is 6 on the keypad or Ctrl+6 using the numbers on the top row of the keyboard. When I split an object, I always use T, because I am usually only splitting once, not every time that I click with the mouse. I can't understand why this is an inconvenience.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

jubilee-nunn wrote on 9/16/2017, 11:13 PM

Let me try to be more objective here,

• The SHIFT function in midi doesn't work in inspector mode.
  • Add instruments to project tab automatically go to the first track for some reason.
  • Sometimes the program glitches when you're zooming and you get an error message saying "Maximum zoom level has been reached" and then have to wait to use the program again.
  • There's no grouping on midi objects, why?
  • There are no rerouting signals for bus tracks, again why?
  • Pressing cntrl X doesn't work with deleting multiple midi objects. You'd have to press cntrl X then right click on the midi tracks and sometimes it works... but other times you're usually left with some midi objects left over.
  • Regions I still can't figure out. There's no mention of them in the help guide but I have seen them used.
  • The scrollbar is hard to use and sometimes offsets the whole arrangement window.
  • The maximize buttons on the arranger, Control tab and Media Pool often times go out of alignment having to tediously fix each window with your mouse.
  • Their video tutorials and help guides are dated and you're left figuring some of this stuff out yourself.

Anyways, those are some of the glaring problems that I found. If anyone has any more issues, and you come across this post, please list them hopefully Magix will take notice.

johnebaker wrote on 9/17/2017, 4:36 AM

Hi

1. The SHIFT function in midi doesn't work in inspector mode

The SHIFT function only selects a range of notes from the first selected note to the one you click on while holding down the shift key and works both in the Inspector and the Midi Editor.

2. Add instruments to project tab automatically go to the first track for some reason

If track 1 is empty then that is correct, Instruments and Soundpool objects are added from the top down, if you do not want this, then drag the Instrument/Soundpool object from the Media pane to the track you want it on.

3. Sometimes the program glitches when you're zooming and you get an error message saying "Maximum zoom level has been reached" and then have to wait to use the program again

How are you zooming - using the mouse wheel, keyboard short cut or the zoom buttons?

4. There's no grouping on midi objects, why?

Edit: Grouping/ungrouping uses Ctrl+G and Ctrl+U to group and ungroup the midi objects.

5. There are no rerouting signals for bus tracks, again why?

If you want signal routing then you need a more sophisticated program eg Samplitude or Sound Forge.

6. Pressing cntrl X doesn't work with deleting multiple midi objects. You'd have to press cntrl X then right click on the midi tracks and sometimes it works... but other times you're usually left with some midi objects left over

You have to press the Del key to delete multiple objects, Ctrl X is Cut, however this only works with Soundpool objects and audio files

7. Regions I still can't figure out. There's no mention of them in the help guide but I have seen them used

Do you mean Ranges? If not please give an example of what you mean by 'Region'

8. The scrollbar is hard to use and sometimes offsets the whole arrangement window. . . . . The maximize buttons on the arranger, Control tab and Media Pool often times go out of alignment having to tediously fix each window with your mouse.

What type of device, number of monitors (if applicable) and screen size are you using?

9. Their video tutorials and help guides are dated and you're left figuring some of this stuff out yourself.

The majority of the tutorial content for recent earlier versions of Music Maker are relevant to the current version, the main difference is in the layout of the interface and where there are new functions which were not in the earlier versions.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/17/2017, 5:47 PM, changed a total of 2 times.