Comments

SP. wrote on 7/19/2021, 1:37 PM

@jeremy-curry Yes, you need a license for commercial use. You need to purchase the commercial license from Producerplanet.com for every Soundpool you use in your compositions. This is a one time fee that allows you to commercially release as many compositions and songs as you want that are made with this Soundpool. The prices are usually between $20-$40 per Soundpool. There is no canadian site. I would suggest you use the US site. If you make all sounds and melodies yourself by recording them or using Vita instruments you don't need any license and can release everything for free.

emmrecs wrote on 7/19/2021, 1:54 PM

@jeremy-curry

I think there is some degree of misunderstanding in your post, sorry!

You asked Do I need to individually copyright every song?  @SP. has explained that if you use any Magix Soundpool  in a song that you intend to release, you must have the appropriate Magix Commercial Licence for each soundpool you use in order to do so. Just be aware that there are two types of Commercial Licence, the differences between them are listed here.

However, a finished song is the completed composition, the "whole thing". As such, assuming you have a suitable licence to use any part of any Magix soundpool included in that song, the copyright in that song belongs to you as the originator. Automatically, you own all the rights in the finished composition, albeit the song's components (in this case any Magix Soundpool) are still owned by their creators and you must have that suitable licence to use them.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Last changed by emmrecs on 7/19/2021, 1:56 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 7/19/2021, 6:01 PM

@jeremy-curry

Hi

To add to @SP. and @emmrecs comments

. . . . copyright in that song belongs to you. . . . .

With one exception - the Soundtrack Maker wizard, if this is used, then by strict definition, it is not your 'own work'.

A potential issue you may have with using loops is future copyright claims from other artists, scammers or automated Content ID.

This is due to the use of loops which are available to all users of Music Maker. Such claims with respect to the use of a loop, or part of a loop are not sustainable as they cannot be copyrighted by a user - copyright always belongs to Magix.

If you are in the position of having your creations taken up by music publishers, radio, TV etc then you may need to provide a proof of your commercial licence - this will be you purchase confirmation emails as there is no physical distinction between private use and commercial loops. You have to be careful - only provide proof to bona fide music publishers, radio, TV and other commercial entities that require it - never to person or persons unknown on the Internet.

The downside of using loops is that commercial entities such as bona fide music publishers, radio, TV etc tend to frown upon music created from them - if this is a commercial route you intend to go down, then @SP.'s comment

. . . . If you make all sounds and melodies yourself by recording them or using Vita instruments you don't need any license and can release everything for free . . .

Is very applicable in this scenario.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/19/2021, 6:03 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.