License of Sound Loops , Premium Instruments , Independence Library

fan-boy wrote on 7/6/2018, 1:39 PM

Sound Loops
are professionally recorded .
pay for the loops , to use them in NON-commercial endeavors .
must pay extra for license to use them commercially .
i get that . makes sense .
( you can't rip a CD and use their work , in your commercial compilation )

Premium Instruments
are music instruments .
make a song fragment , jingle , 3 minute song ,
whatever .  license is Commercial Unlimited ( i certainly hope so ) .
i get that . makes sense .

Independence Library
producerplanet dot com , has 12  Independence offerings .
click on any one of them to view it's  description page .
they all  say  License is  "Standard" what ?  why ?
just below that is a link to view the constraints of
"Standard" license .
so ,...
you make a song fragment , jingle , a 3 minute song ,...whatever .
and yet , you do NOT have Exclusive commercial rights to it !  what ?  why ?

Independence Library is  NOT commercial unlimited !  why ?
( Independence interface gives access to the set of instruments ,
similar to the set of instruments , in the Vita interface )

Comments

robertNC wrote on 7/7/2018, 11:48 AM

Thanks for that find.

I hope it's just an oversight by Magix, because the Independence library is over a decade old and has been packaged with Sequoia and Samplitude for many years as well. Both the standalone versions were distributed with, I would assume, a tacit understanding that the user has full commercial rights upon license activation.

It seems odd that Magix would apply a restrictive license for use, especially when you consider the age and the pricing, and the nature of its use (it's a sampler rather than soundpools.)

fan-boy wrote on 7/7/2018, 1:09 PM

will try to find out more ,..will post back ( I was shocked to see that too , that is why I posted here )

Former user wrote on 7/7/2018, 3:54 PM

Thanks for that find.

I hope it's just an oversight by Magix, because the Independence library is over a decade old and has been packaged with Sequoia and Samplitude for many years as well. Both the standalone versions were distributed with, I would assume, a tacit understanding that the user has full commercial rights upon license activation.

It seems odd that Magix would apply a restrictive license for use, especially when you consider the age and the pricing, and the nature of its use (it's a sampler rather than soundpools.)

Magix packages the same content with multiple applications, but gives difference licenses depending on the application you buy.

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro doesn't come with a commercial content license. MAGIX Video Pro X does.

I'm avoiding their products from now on, because the licensing is a complete mess of confusion. I almost wanted to buy ACID Pro 8, but decided against it because it's likely to run into the same issues (as they're distributing a lot of the same instruments and sound pools with it).

browj2 wrote on 7/8/2018, 9:49 AM

No! The Independence Library has no songs, loops, Soundpools, only the sound that an instrument makes. You create the music using the instruments. There is no other license required. You cannot give away the instrument sounds by themselves, that is all. No one can tell if the instrument played was on from Magix, another producer of vsti's, or you playing a real instrument. There are no restrictions on these. 

Please see this article in the Magix Magazine:

http://magazine.magix.com/en/commercial-use-of-music/

Sounds, as indicated in the article, are not the sounds that an instrument makes, they are Sounds of something that someone recorded, like a plane taking off. You can buy these in the Magix store/producer planet.

Look at the end of the article. This applies to Independence as well as the Music Maker instruments:

"When you create your own melodies without ready loops using instruments from Music Maker (e.g. Vita, String Ensemble, Rock Drums, Revolta …), commercial use is possible, since these are your own melodies."

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

fan-boy wrote on 7/8/2018, 1:32 PM

that's what I was thinking , cause I read the article at Magix Magazine , everything looked correct , until I was at producerplanet ,... "commercial( Standard )" is the Posted License . I am going to have to believe the Posted License , and NOT the Magazine article , in reference to Independence .

All Premium music synths have come with commercial( unlimited ) .

why does producerplanet show commercial( Standard ) , for the 12 Independence products ?

browj2 wrote on 7/8/2018, 2:59 PM

Hi,

Instrument samples are not "Content." If you want confirmation, ask Magix directly by raising a ticket with Magix Support.

I agree that the wording is misleading in some cases. Here is their example:

"Let’s say that you produced a song for your spouse or a friend and would like to play it for them on your home stereo or send it to them as an MP3 file? Or, that you have cut and edited a video of your latest family vacation and would like to integrate it into your private website?
These are all examples of our sounds, loops and video content being used for "non-commercial" use.
"

The first paragraph is totally incorrect by itself. There is nothing in that says "...using our sounds, loops and video content..." in the first paragraph, and there should be.

When you add in the second paragraph, "These are all examples of our sounds, loops and video content being used for "non-commercial" use." If you don't use their sounds, loops or video content, then the first paragraph is false. Magix should reword it.

As for Commercial Standard vs Unlimited, I agree that Independence should be Unlimited, especially since it contains no "content."

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

fan-boy wrote on 7/12/2018, 4:18 PM

@robertNC

@Former user

@browj2

producerplanet dot com now shows license as "Unlimited" for ALL 12 Independence offerings ! Independence is "back in the game" ! makes sense .

the only constraint which is true for ALL sample based synthesizers from ALL vendors , is : you can NOT play individual notes as "Content" for the purpose of sale and redistribution of the Sampler's notes. ie : no one is allowed to "Rip" the notes of the synths , for commercial enterprise . native-instruments and Vienna Symphonic Library have this same restriction ,...makes sense

my only question for Vienna Symphonic Library is : why are they able to advertise that they Rip'ed the "Sound" of a specific Yamaha CFX piano ? that sounds fishy , unless Vienna paid Yamaha for that "Right" .

robertNC wrote on 7/13/2018, 12:57 PM

@fan-boy Any professional sampler company probably corresponded with the hardware maker to get or specify terms of clearance and terms of use. With that said, I know that Roland allowed some of their ancient samples to be used freely, but it just depends on the company and their particular hardware in question.

Here's a good summary of the legal ins&outs https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=11024240&postcount=10