Length of Vocals loops in a Soundpool, change?

Pernas wrote on 7/17/2023, 11:41 AM

Hi, I’m trying to help my wife here who uses the Magix Music Maker with a topic I hope makes sense.

Someone once mentioned to her that the Vocals loops within a Soundpool (HDP-files) were possible to adjust length wise indicating that they could possibly hold more Vocals than initially shown when dragged into the project. With length wise I don’t mean just making them longer by repeating the loops. Could it be that some Vocals loops has been “masked” to show only a portion of the Vocals?

I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance,

Per

Comments

SP. wrote on 7/17/2023, 12:15 PM

@Pernas If everything is working correctly, you should always see the full loop after dragging it into the project.

Music Maker doesn't edit the audio files directly, so the original loop files never change, but instead it saves the edit the users does into additional helper files (hdp, h0, h1, h2 etc.).

This goes way back the mid 1990s where computers only had 4 MB RAM and hard drives were only offering several hundred megabytes storage space. You simply hadn't enough space for large audio files and projects. So the developers got around that limit by saving a list of edits into small helper files. The program was then loading just one audio loop and many small edit files instead of many audio loops.

But I don't think that the helper files hide parts of a loop. Usually it should, at first, always show the complete loop. Of course, you can edit the visible part manually which will then saved into the helper files.

If you're under the impression that a loop just cuts off, it is likely that the vocal loop is shifted slightly (to give it more grove in relation to the rest of the instruments) and the missing ending is actually located at the beginning of the loop. This means you need to make the loop a little bit longer at its end, so it starts looping a second time. Then it should end seamless.

If you think the loop is too fast and not long enough for your song you can make it slower, which will also change its length, because a slower loop takes longer to play. This can be done with the timestretching effect.

I hope I understood your problem correctly. If not, feel free to correct me.

Pernas wrote on 8/29/2023, 2:47 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your attempts to solve this. However, it appears to have been a misunderstanding regarding the contents of the vocal loops and all is sorted out now.

/Per