Instruments Not Activating from Earlier Versions

Andrew-Stevens wrote on 7/20/2018, 8:56 AM

Good day!

This is regarding the activation (importation) of instruments, I already have from previous versions.

I purchased and installed Magix Music Maker 2019 Premium.

I'm only getting the content from 2014 Premium, 2015 Premium and 2016 Live imported...

I am missing the Century Keys, Saxophonia and Space Pads (all presently treated as unpurchased), which I believe I got from my purchase of Magix Music Maker 17.

I tried to use the serial number from this version (17), but it refused to accept it.

These instruments imported into 2016 Live (2014 & 2015), just fine.  I've been using them for years.

Any suggestions?

I should also clarify, I recently migrated to a new PC (the last one is dying), I know that at least two of these instruments are associated with my purchase of 17, because I had to install 17 onto this PC, in order to get them back into 2016 Live and be able to use them again.

Thank you, so much!

I also just discovered that the Bass Machine is in my Instrument collection (and was available in a previous version), with a little padlock icon on it.  I click it, and attempt to activate it, but run into the very same problem with it refusing to accept any serial number.

My first Magix purchase was Music Maker 10, well over a decade ago.  2019 makes the tenth version of their software suite, I have purchased.  I've been a very good, faithful customer to this company.  After that rough patch with glitchy software, I thought we were finally in better times.  This is extremely frustrating.

Very last [edit] addition, I promise.

Bass Machine, Century Keys and Saxophonia are all working beautifully in 2016 Live, right now.  They just wont transfer over into 2019.

The Space Pads is a mystery, as it seems to be missing.  I swear, I've had this synth for years.  This is crazy.

I've also noticed that the "Generate Voice from Text" feature wont open up in 2019.

Comments

Larry98 wrote on 7/20/2018, 11:35 AM

The in-app store only supports music maker versions from MX-2019

Andrew-Stevens wrote on 7/20/2018, 4:24 PM

Thank you.

So, what is the practical meaning of that?

I do not expect Magix to have the gall, to "strip" me of content (make it a terrible nuisance to use, at any rate), and then expect me to pay them $30 a piece, after I just got done paying them $70 to upgrade...There is no path, in which that is okay.  In fact, that would be a kick in the teeth.

I was expecting to be able to get eight new instruments from this purchase, not four or five new ones, along with the three or four I'd be forced to re-unlock again.

Previous versions have searched for previous installations of Music Maker on your hard drive, and simply imported your existing instruments.  For the life of me, I don't see why this has become such an issue.

Thank you for your response.

I'm still trying to get a handle on what is going on with this issue, however.

If I'm understanding this correctly, those instruments are the exact same ones I've had in my possession for several years, it's just that 2019 doesn't want to recognize them, because they're connected with the purchase of a previous version of Music Maker that's "to old"?

There needs to be some mechanism, that "grandfathers" these instrument synthesizers into a customer's future upgrade versions of Music Maker.

johnebaker wrote on 7/20/2018, 5:00 PM

@Andrew-Stevens

IIRC there is a post, that I cannot find, which stated certain instruments from older versions of MMM are not compatible with MMM 2017 onwards, this probably includes Century Keys, Saxophonia and is definitely the case for Space Pad.

Similarly MMM 17 cannot be activated and has been so since MMM 2017, only MMM MX and later can be activated.

There is a new version of Space Pad is available under Cinematic Synth, Pad, however if you have and load saved patches from the old version you cannot adjust any of the settings in the new version - there is no control panel for the old patches - this does not affect patches saved from the new version.

. . . . I'm understanding this correctly, those instruments are the exact same ones I've had in my possession for several years . . . .

I suspect these were all from MMM 17 and were available as legacy instruments in the later versions of MMM.

. . . . There needs to be some mechanism, that "grandfathers" these instrument synthesizers into a customer's future upgrade versions of Music Maker. . . . .

IMHO support for legacy instruments cannot and should not be continued forever - this can result in bloating of of software, as was happening with Windows - Windows 10 removed support for a lot of older programs and legacy hardware.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

fan-boy wrote on 7/21/2018, 8:48 PM

I am running Space Pad , Century Guitar , Vibraphone , Saxophonia , all on Music Maker Premium 2018 . these were NOT integrated from previous Music Maker , but were acquired and or purchased with MM25 Premium .

Larry98 wrote on 7/21/2018, 8:52 PM

Are you using the same MAGIX Account in the newest music maker (27). Everything is aivalable for me

Andrew-Stevens wrote on 7/23/2018, 3:14 PM

Thank you, to all who've responded...I really appreciate this.

I've been out of the loop for a while, and my recent installing of MMM on this PC was more of a hasty endeavor, amidst all sorts of other installing and organizing.  I just recently got around to opening MMM up, and taking stock of what's there.  Got the notice of a new version, and thought "It's time".

I'm also new to the current MMM software/business model, buying "versions" and whatnot.  Part of the reason I haven't updated in so long, is because I was confused about what I would actually be getting (money is tight, too).

John EB, Thank you.  I'll check out the Cinematic Synth.  It was kind of in the back of my mind, that it might be "hidden" elsewhere.

fan-boy, Thank you.  I didn't realize they remade those synthesizers.

Horsti12, Thank you. I'm using my only Magix account, which I'm fairly sure I opened up when I purchased MMM 10. The synthesizers I was confused over, are available for purchase in the new version.

browj2 wrote on 7/24/2018, 10:28 AM

@Andrew-Stevens

This may all be redundant, but I'll put it here for the sake of others.

As has been pointed out, you should be able to get most instruments by using the activation codes of previous versions, but there is a limit. The most important thing is to first activate all of the old stuff before using any coupons. Keep the coupons to the end of the process.

I have found that Century Keys, which came with a version of Music Studio, did not work with MM or even other versions of Music Studio/Samplitude Music Studio for some reason. There was a workaround, but then after Windows 10 update, or program updates, or something, it would no longer work.

Also, any instruments that were purchased from the Magix site prior to the invention of the in-app Store, will not work. This has been a sticking point. I you have any, ask Magix to give you coupons for them.

Finally, and you have probably found it yourself or in the tutorial by Horsti12, you actually have to download and install everything through the Store. The old process of going through Help, install addition synths, etc. no longer exists.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 7/24/2018, 10:28 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos