INSTALLING NEW & OLD VERSION

Burton-Allan wrote on 7/20/2022, 9:17 PM

Hi, I just purchased upgrade to Sound Forge 16 Suite. I have not installed it, yet. I have an older version of Sound Forge on my Windows 11 computer, Version 11. When I start the install, will it overwrite Version 11 ? I would prefer to keep both versions on the computer. Version 11 came with this very cool Mastering Suite Bundle from Izotope that won't work with any other version, so, I have to have Sound Forge 11 installed in order to use those plug-ins and I would not like to lose them even though the new version has its own cool plug-ins. Could you advise what to expect when I install version 16. Can you keep an older version on same computer with the new version? Thanks

Comments

rraud wrote on 7/21/2022, 9:56 AM

Hi @Burton-Allan, you do not need to uninstall Sound Forge 11. Multiple versions of Sound Forge will coexist on the same PC without issue. I currently have Sound Forge Pro 10 through 16 and SF Audio Studio 15 and 16 installed.

FWIW, If the iZotope Mastering suite is Direct X, that will run on the 32bit (x86) version of SF-16. I occasionally use the iZ Mastering Suite that came with SF Pro 10 on SF-16 (x86).

FYI, Both the x64 and x86 bit versions of SF-16 can be installed on the same PC as well, They share most of the settings and only count a single activation, so SF could be installed and activated on an alternate PC (both your desktop and laptop for instance).

Burton-Allan wrote on 7/21/2022, 10:36 AM

Wow! Thank You, RRaud! When I got this new Windows 11 computer, I ran into problems installing Sound Forge 11. I also had purchased Nectar 3+ from Izotope which is a 64-bit plug-in only, but nothing else worked because it required the 32-bit version and the default install even on Sound Forge 11 was the 64-bit version.

I compromised and installed the 32-bit version to get the Mastering Suite working and some other plug-ins, but, I was afraid to try to do a re-install because I had so much trouble getting the legacy version working with all my plug-ins in Windows 11.

So, this means I can go ahead and install version 16 - twice - as a 32 bit and a 64-bit version and all my plug-ins, old and new will work. That would be awesome!

Izotope does not even sell that "Mastering Suite" seperately, but, the plug-ins are comparable to their $1000 RX bundle and they are really great. It would be a real loss not to have them. That Mastering Suite is one reason I never looked at any other DAW. You have a Denoiser, Compressor, Exciter, Limiter and a million presets for just about everything. The "Overmaximized" preset fixes just about anything with a really tight broadcast squeeze and punch. I've yet to see any other plug-in suite so versatile and complete that does such a good job quickly and with so many presets and options.

One other question: I'm not familiar with the version 10 Izotope bundle. Were you able to load it into version 16 and it works or do you need to run it "only" in version 10? I've never been able to get that Mastering Suite to work in anything except Sound Forge 11. It seems exclusive to that version. It's not like an independent plug-in suite. Thank You.

rraud wrote on 7/21/2022, 12:38 PM

I use the iZotope Mastering Suite-2 and is what was included with Sound Forge Pro 10 , I specifically like the multiband tools (compressor, exciter and imager), the other tools (EQ, Reverb, Limiter, are decent but not on my 'go-to' list. The iZ mastering suite plug-ins will only run on SCS (Sony) host apps like Sound Forge, Vegas and Acid, but they run on 32 bit Magix Sound Forge versions too. I am not very familiar with the suite that came with SFP-11, but I recall it was 32 bit VST.
The newer iZotope 'Elements' plug-ins (Ozone and RX) that are included with SFP-16 are decent nd will run on any host app that supports VST. I like the Magix 'Dynamic EQ' that is included with the SFP-16 Suite version, but it is not as fast as setting the iZ multiband comp, The Dynamic EQ can be much more precise though if needed. IMO, the included SpctraLayers Pro alone is worth the cost of the upgrade.. though spectral editing has somewhat of a learning cure. There are many 'auto' tools in SLP as well though.

FYI, Sound Forge 11 was published during the Magix acquisition from Sony and the SCS builds are different from the Magix.. for instance the early builds will run on Win XP or Vista and the Magix builds will not. There are also plug-in compatibility issues with the Magix builds as you eluded to. Otherwise I prefer SFP-10 over SFP-11, the UI for recording was changed as well going to a modal plug-in chainer. both were less intuitive FWIW, I was on the beta test team for Sony SF-11 and objected dropping the more intuitive UI items.. I have the installation file for a SCS build of SFP-11 if you need it. Your SFP-11 activation serial should work with any of the SFP-11 builds.

Burton-Allan wrote on 7/21/2022, 1:42 PM

Hi, RRaud, Great speaking with you! You "get it." I was originally a Sony customer with some earlier versions of Sound Forge and I also go back to a couple of earlier versions of Magix Audio Cleaning Lab, but, I really found that Izotope Mastering Suite awesome. Not ready to let it go!

I think I will be okay since I did get SF-11 installed in Windows 11. Ran into this error, as one of the issues. Saved myself a note on it: Error 0x80131700. Failed to Bind to MS Common Language Runtime Scripting Host failed to start up. The Magix installer is tricky. I had to use compatibility mode in Windows 11 with it, but, in all fairness, it's an old version on a new operating system. I just hope it will still work in Windows 12, next year. Not ready to let that Mastering Suite go!

Glad to know you are there if I run into any problems. I will load up version 16 tonight. Thank You.

rraud wrote on 7/21/2022, 2:00 PM

Hi @Burton-Allan , there was recent topic on the 'MS Common Language Runtime' issue in SF-11. See this recent topic for information and instructions.

johnebaker wrote on 7/21/2022, 2:12 PM

@Burton-Allan

Hi

Please do not type in all bold when posting, like typing in capitals, this is considered as shouting and is not good forum etiquette.

Thanks

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Burton-Allan wrote on 7/21/2022, 10:17 PM

Sorry about the "bold" text.

Update: I installed SF16. I'm really impressed. It's loaded with a lot of toys and it was a seamless no stress installation. Like you said, RRaud, it didn't conflict with SF version 11. So, both are installed and working on my Windows 11 computer. I really liked the feature where it picked up all my other 3rd party 32-bit plug-ins. It picked up everything automatically. No stress and all the 32-bit plugins are active in both SF-16 and SF-11 and some newer 64-bit plugins I have, as well. Everything works! Except, that Mastering Suite.

Seeing that it picked up other 32-bit plug-ins in the 64-bit version of SF-16 and it is able to run them, as well, in a perfect world, I would like to move on from SF-11 if I can get the SF-11/Izotope Mastering Suite in there. It did not load it automatically, but, I did manage to get it to recognize it, manually, and it installed them. But, not well. I have never been able to load that Mastering Suite into any other DAW except SF11.

Please review the 2-screenshots, one from the install into SF-16 and one from SF-11. Any thoughts on how I can fix that? It pulled the entire Mastering Suite in, but, they are messed up. Yet, SF-16 pulled in all my other 32-bit plugins perfectly. Thanks.

in Sound Forge 16 in Sound Forge 11

johnebaker wrote on 7/22/2022, 1:09 AM

@Burton-Allan

Hi

. . . . Mastering Suite in, but, they are messed up . . . .

Check in Windows 11 settings, System, Display, Scale & Layout option is set to 100%, any other value can cause scaling issues of popups and dialogs particularly with 4K resolution screens.

. . . . Sorry about the "bold" text . . . .

Thank you.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Burton-Allan wrote on 7/22/2022, 9:40 AM

Hi, John,

It worked, but, not well. Note the warning I got from Windows in the attached screenshot about tinkering with it.

What I'm working with is a Dell XPS laptop with UHD 2560x1440, defaulting to 150%. I mirror it with a 32-inch LG UHD monitor. When I drop the scaling, of course, everything gets smaller, but, the big monitor winds up with black bars on the side because it doesn't fill up the screen, either.

At the same time, when I open Sound Forge 11, with these original settings and no tinkering with the scaling, everything looks fine and I can get to the adjustment tools in the popup.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd welcome them. Sound Forge 16 /64-bit install did a great job with all the other 32-bit plug-ins. Only having an issue with the Mastering Suite. Thanks.

rraud wrote on 7/22/2022, 10:48 AM

@Burton-Allan @johnebaker, the off-center partially hidden plug-in window is a 64 bit SFP-16.1 bug and all my 32 bit 'third-party' plug-ins exhibit the same behavior. However, Magix and SCS 32 bit plug-ins display normally (??).
Reducing the overall display DPI will just make everything smaller, and part of the plug-in's window will still be partially hidden.. been-there-done-that.
The developers are aware of this and it will 'allegedly' be fixed in the upcoming update. You can install an earlier 16.0 build (which has other issues) or wait for the update.
The 16.1 (x86) version does not exhibit this behavior, but then 64 bit plug-ins will not work in the x86 version, so there is currently no good solution. I use SFP-15 when I need to use 'both' 32 bit third-party and 64 bit plug-ins.

Burton-Allan wrote on 7/22/2022, 11:03 AM

Great news that an update is on the way! All good things, I guess, come to those with patience. I have other 64-bit plug-ins, so, I'll just wait and keep my SF-11 version installed which works fine when I want to use the Mastering plug-in, for now. But, this is a big deal!

It's one of the reasons I did not want to upgrade for awhile and ran multiple DAWs. I did not know of a feature that would be able to run 64-bit and still be able to run 32-bit plug-ins. I know friends running Apple that are still having problems with the new M-chips where a lot of their plug-ins won't work on it and they have hesitated to buy the newer hardware because of it.

Thanks Again for the great news that help is on the way!

johnebaker wrote on 7/22/2022, 12:42 PM

@rraud

Hi Rick

Thanks for the update.

John EB