Installation error 1620. The Installation Package could not be opened.

Rick-mid wrote on 8/20/2022, 7:55 AM

I'm getting an error when I install the upgraded versions of Magix Music Maker.

The error goes as the

Installation Package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installation Package Error: 1620.

Oddly enough, I cannot install the updates on the free version.

Anyone know what is going on here?

Comments

SP. wrote on 8/20/2022, 8:09 AM

@Rick-mid It's possible that the antivirus deletes the update installer after it was downloaded. You could try to temporarily disable it.

Rick-mid wrote on 8/20/2022, 8:14 AM

@Rick-mid It's possible that the antivirus deletes the update installer after it was downloaded. You could try to temporarily disable it.

Ok I will do that, but I only have Windows Defender working now.
My problems have occurred because of Windows Update. I've been using Magix Music Maker for over a decade, yet with Windows 10, I am getting these problems.

I've disabled Windows Defender. The problem remains.

johnebaker wrote on 8/20/2022, 8:33 AM

@Rick-mid

Hi

Microsoft Defender (Windows Security) is your Antivirus/Firewall program if you have no other AV software installed.

Try temporarily turning off the Folder/Ransomware protection feature.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Rick-mid wrote on 8/20/2022, 12:40 PM

@Rick-mid

Hi

Microsoft Defender (Windows Security) is your Antivirus/Firewall program if you have no other AV software installed.

Try temporarily turning off the Folder/Ransomware protection feature.

John EB
Forum Moderator

I did this, and the same issue.
Has there been any issue like this before, and was it resolved?

Windows 10 has given me so much problems. I suspect it's Windows Updates tinkering with the Registry, but Microsoft Forums has been little help to me.

johnebaker wrote on 8/20/2022, 2:54 PM

@Rick-mid

Hi

Check that the Windows .NET installations are all turned on as shown below:

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/20/2022, 2:54 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

SP. wrote on 8/20/2022, 3:23 PM

@Rick-mid In my Windows 10 settings the Antivirus settings are under a different menu than the Defender Firewall settings, which also should be disabled just to be sure nothing is interfering with your installation (Settings > Update and Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Manage settings) Here you need to disable Real-time protection.

You can also try to disable the controlled folder access in this menu.

The .NET tip is a good idea. You can also try to install the C++ Runtime redistributables from here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170 Try the "Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022" package and the "Visual Studio 2013 (VC++ 12.0)" package.

If you have problems with an update, the update is downloaded into the folder C:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\AppData\Local\Temp\MAGIX\mm31 and should have the filename MxUpdate.exe. Just open the folder before you download the update. Check if a MxUpdate.exe is created here after you start the download and isn't deleted when download has finished. You can copy the file to a different location and save it as a backup or run it manually.

Rick-mid wrote on 8/20/2022, 9:40 PM

I did everything as stated, but the weird thing was that my computer froze, and while I forced a shutdown, Windows Updates began to install and failed to install updates.

Windows Updates are now downloading again and slowing down my computer.

I'm beginning to believe that Windows Updates is messing with my OS installation features.

SP. wrote on 8/21/2022, 2:02 AM

@Rick-mid It sounds like your Windows installation is damaged. I had the same problem some time ago after I installed a Windows update. You can backup all your data to an external hard drive and then restart your computer while holding the SHIFT key on your keyboard to enter the a menu where you can reinstall Windows from scratch.

johnebaker wrote on 8/21/2022, 5:43 AM

@Rick-mid, @SP.

Hi

. . . . restart your computer while holding the SHIFT key on your keyboard to enter the a menu where you can reinstall Windows from scratch . . . .

This may not be necessary, it is possible that a Windows update pending a restart caused the issue - this is normally quite rare.

Allow the Windows updates to complete and reboot the computer.

Then follow this tutorial steps 4 - 11 to check that the Windows installation is OK.

HTH

John EB

Rick-mid wrote on 8/21/2022, 3:00 PM

@Rick-mid It sounds like your Windows installation is damaged. I had the same problem some time ago after I installed a Windows update. You can backup all your data to an external hard drive and then restart your computer while holding the SHIFT key on your keyboard to enter the a menu where you can reinstall Windows from scratch.

I don't mind getting a new computer, but I got at least 20 sessions I have to export. With the Free Music Maker version, I can't export, and even though I bought an upgraded version, I cannot install the program.

My only other option is to buy the add in for more tracks and export for C$14.99, but if it means to install then I'm back at square one, like the crappy Windows 21H2 update which keeps on downloading, installing and uninstalling during restart.

Can I rely on the backup of the C/drive to work with the new computer's OS? As in, can I get the backup of this crappy Windows Update curse to use as data for the Magix on the new system?

Rick-mid wrote on 8/21/2022, 3:09 PM

@Rick-mid, @SP.

Hi

. . . . restart your computer while holding the SHIFT key on your keyboard to enter the a menu where you can reinstall Windows from scratch . . . .

This may not be necessary, it is possible that a Windows update pending a restart caused the issue - this is normally quite rare.

Allow the Windows updates to complete and reboot the computer.

Then follow this tutorial steps 4 - 11 to check that the Windows installation is OK.

HTH

John EB

Windows Updates keeps on downloading, rebooting and then uninstalling the downloaded update.

I'll do the sfc /scannow command, but is it necessary to uninstall the Magix 64 bit free version as I am working on some tracks? I've uninstalled the Magix 2018 Plus version from my PC.

I've been working with Magix since 2009, and with Windows 10 and their crappy updates, this is a first for me getting a detrimental error that inhibits me from exporting my tracks or upgrading my version.

UPDATE: Completed the MSDOS command. Computer runs a bit faster. Still getting error 1620. There is something with Windows Update which is messing up my computer.

Good news: I bought the More Tracks and Export option in the Store app of the Magix 64 bit. Works!

Bad news: I might have wasted money purchasing Magix Music Maker 2022 as it's not installing.

johnebaker wrote on 8/22/2022, 4:14 AM

@Rick-mid

Hi

. . . . Good news: I bought the More Tracks and Export option in the Store app of the Magix 64 bit. Works!

Bad news: I might have wasted money purchasing Magix Music Maker 2022 as it's not installing
. . . . .

There is no such program as Magix 64 bit - what is the name of the program and the edition which is running and the version number as found under Help, About?

John EB

Rick-mid wrote on 8/22/2022, 8:01 PM

@Rick-mid

Hi

. . . . Good news: I bought the More Tracks and Export option in the Store app of the Magix 64 bit. Works!

Bad news: I might have wasted money purchasing Magix Music Maker 2022 as it's not installing
. . . . .

There is no such program as Magix 64 bit - what is the name of the program and the edition which is running and the version number as found under Help, About?

John EB

It says Magix 64 bit. It's the Freeware Backup version I downloaded. Version 31.0

I had Magix 2018 for a while, but after Windows Update it says that I can't open due to a missing DLL file SAMCLI.DLL

Right now, Windows Update is attempting for the 25th time to download and install this crappy update. I would assume that this problem with Windows Update exacerbates the issue as the Windows Modules Installer is frying up my laptop heat sink using up resources during a heat wave.

johnebaker wrote on 8/23/2022, 3:24 AM

@Rick-mid

Hi

. . . . It says Magix 64 bit. It's the Freeware Backup version I downloaded. Version 31.0 I had Magix 2018 . . .

Apologies if this seems to be being pedantic, Magix is the name of the company, not the software which is Music Maker 2023 for the version number you have given.

'Freeware Backup version' - do you mean the free edition of Music Maker downloaded from the Magix website or have you downloaded this from elsewhere, if so where?

. . . . Right now, Windows Update is attempting for the 25th time to download and install this crappy update.. . . .

What is the KB number of the update? You should be able to find this in Windows settings, Update and security, View Update history and find the update KB number of the update that is repeatedly being downloaded and attempting to install.

. . . . I would assume that this problem with Windows Update exacerbates the issue . . . .

That is quite possible

John EB

Rick-mid wrote on 8/24/2022, 3:50 PM

@Rick-mid

Hi

. . . . It says Magix 64 bit. It's the Freeware Backup version I downloaded. Version 31.0 I had Magix 2018 . . .

Apologies if this seems to be being pedantic, Magix is the name of the company, not the software which is Music Maker 2023 for the version number you have given.

'Freeware Backup version' - do you mean the free edition of Music Maker downloaded from the Magix website or have you downloaded this from elsewhere, if so where?

. . . . Right now, Windows Update is attempting for the 25th time to download and install this crappy update.. . . .

What is the KB number of the update? You should be able to find this in Windows settings, Update and security, View Update history and find the update KB number of the update that is repeatedly being downloaded and attempting to install.

. . . . I would assume that this problem with Windows Update exacerbates the issue . . . .

That is quite possible

John EB

I got a Magix Music Maker Free Version as a backup. My Magix Music Maker 2018 edition got deleted because of Windows Update.

The Windows Update keeps on lagging, and force restarting my computer with this useless update:
Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2

Today I spent two hours in my studio dealing with Windows Updates. I do not exist to serve Windows Update!

Never has Windows Update been detrimental to Magix Music Maker than Windows 10 Windows Update.

SP. wrote on 8/25/2022, 2:08 AM

@Rick-mid I would guess that a clean new install of Windows will solve your problems. My computer showed four or five bluescreens a day after a forced Windows update to version 21H2. I wasn't able to solve this problem until I reinstalled Windows from scratch. You can now try over the next weeks to solve this without getting anywhere or just take the time and reinstall everything from scratch and be done in a day. Modern Windows just downloads the newest version directly from Microsoft during the install process and also installs nearly all drivers automatically. So you basically only need to reinstall the software your want to use again.

Rick-mid wrote on 8/29/2022, 9:38 AM

@Rick-mid I would guess that a clean new install of Windows will solve your problems. My computer showed four or five bluescreens a day after a forced Windows update to version 21H2. I wasn't able to solve this problem until I reinstalled Windows from scratch. You can now try over the next weeks to solve this without getting anywhere or just take the time and reinstall everything from scratch and be done in a day. Modern Windows just downloads the newest version directly from Microsoft during the install process and also installs nearly all drivers automatically. So you basically only need to reinstall the software your want to use again.

I got a lot of work and recording sessions. How do I back that up if I am doing a clean reset of Windows?

Windows should be sued for what their updates are doing to destroy people's work. They are just like the malware and bloatware that corrupt and damage OS'es.

I am getting the same problem with installing Autotune, other music software and updating Magix Music Maker. It's terrible.

SP. wrote on 8/29/2022, 10:00 AM

@Rick-mid

I got a lot of work and recording sessions. How do I back that up if I am doing a clean reset of Windows?

You could use software like NovaBackup (which I personally use as well. It has worked flawlessly for me so far.) to create a complete backup of your system in its current state, so that you can always go back if the reinstallation makes your data unusable. Then you would also need an additional USB stick from which to boot the backup software. You can tell Windows not to delete user data during the reinstall, but I'm not sure how well that will work. I have never used this option. Otherwise, you'll have to manually backup everything beforehand. If you can still launch the software and open your projects, you could try using Music Maker Backup's export features or exporting all tracks as individual WAV files.

Rick-mid wrote on 8/29/2022, 2:44 PM

To be on the safe side I will export the track outs of my 20 something projects onto a SSD.

These Windows Updates are garbage. When I asked Microsoft how to fix it, they tried to blame the software company (Magix) and accused the software company of hosting corrupted files. Anything but Windows Updates lol