In Photostory 2013 I want to zoom into particular areas of a photo

carricurrier wrote on 8/2/2015, 9:35 PM

I have inherited a photo album which I'm trying to digitize and create a video. I've taken pictures of each page and would like to zoom into each photograph on the page.  I can't figure out how to specify the area to zoom into and how long to hold it.  Some of the items are obituary notices and need more time than a photo.

Comments

browj2 wrote on 8/3/2015, 10:14 AM

Hi,

I have the 2013 Deluxe version.

Simple zoom

Set the playback marker over your image on the timeline and click on it to select it. Open the effects tab, View & Animation, Size&Position, and you will see a dashed line around your image. Note the Size dimensions. Move the zoom slider to the right to zoom in on the image. Drag the image in the preview monitor to get the part that you want in the middle of the screen. Zoom in more or out if you want.

Zooming effect

It's best to be in timeline mode for this, so switch to timeline. Select the photo and place the playback marker at the beginning of the image or where you want to start zooming in. Select Size&Position under View & Animation.  Look at the position and size boxes and look at the other buttons and the zoom slider which should be at 100. You will see some lines below the effects stuff and one of them will say Image size/position. This is for key framing. If the playback marker is where you want to start zooming, click on the + icon in the toolbar just above the keyframe box. This will add a keyframe on the keyframe timeline. The zoom slider should still be at 100. Move the playback marker along the timeline, either in the arranger or the keyframe timeline. Stop where you want the zoom to end, say about 3 seconds from the end of the object. Use the zoom slider to zoom in on the object, and drag the object in the preview window to centre the part that you want. You will see that a keyframe has been placed at that location. It contains the size and position information. If you don't like where it is located, then drag it along the keyframe timeline to a different location. The image will be zoomed in and resized smoothly between the keyframes.

You can add more keyframes if you want. Say you want to start zooming back out after a second. Copy the second keyframe (there is a button beside the +  and trashcan for copying a keyframe), move the playback marker a second along the timeline and click on the paste button which appeared beside the copy button. Then copy the first keyframe, move the playback marker to the end or close to it, and paste the keyframe. Now the image will zoom in and position, hold it for a second, then zoom back out to the full image.

Do not use Section for this. Section is mainly for cropping, so the part under Camera/zoom would need to be Custom and you need to know how to adjust things. You don't have as much control as under Size&Position..

Good luck!

Last changed by browj2 on 8/3/2015, 10:14 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

carricurrier wrote on 8/4/2015, 9:29 PM

Thanks, browi2 for your quick and so thorough response.  I didn't reply quickly because I followed your instructions but it didn't work.  I thought if I came with fresh eyes and I would see what I'm doing wrong but I can't.  there are several + icons on the screen.  One is over the time which is over the "image size/position" another is over the number of seconds for the slide and another just below that next to a slider.  None of them seem to do what you suggested so I tried the one just above the timeline, next to the name of the project.  When I clicked on that it started a new slideshow but there were no pictures in the timeline nor anything in the preview box.  What am I missing?  Is there, perhaps, a preference setting?  I can't find a definition of "key frame" but I presume it is the image in the timeline which includes the .jpg file (picture) and the other "instructions" (fading, length, transitions etc.).

I think what's supposed to happen is clicking on the + is suppose to duplicate my album page and allow me to zoom in on one photo on the page.  Then I would duplicate the album page again and zoom on a different photo or newspaper clipping.  If this is true it is like taking several photos of the album page; one the entire page and another for each photo & clipping.  I can do this using Photoshop but I then have 5-6 more .jpgs in my slide show which with 150 pages in the album will result in an enormous .avi.

Here are the screens of what I am trying to describe:

Before clicking on +

After clicking on +

It will save me hours of editting if I can figure this out... thank you, thank you, thank you  Carri

browj2 wrote on 8/4/2015, 11:40 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words.

If you still can't get it, let me know and I will do a quick video.

Also, to post images, see this tutorial. You probably have all of the tools to do this without taking a photo of your screen. Do Alt+PrtSc (look for the button to the right of F12). Then open Paint or Word or something, Ctrl+V to paste the image of your screen. Right+Click on the image and do a Save As give it a name and select jpg as the format. Then post this.

Last changed by browj2 on 8/4/2015, 11:40 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

carricurrier wrote on 8/5/2015, 12:21 AM

Yes, I tried the screen capture and was able to copy it into Word & Wordpad but SAVE AS doesn't offer .jpg.  That's why I resorted to taking a picture.

So, now I know what the keyframing area is (thanks) but clicking on the + in that area says it "sets a new travel point at the current position".  I don't understand what that means.  After I click on the + and use the orange corner handle to select one of the pictures to zoom in on causes the entire album page to shrink. 

Boy, this software is powerful but not intuitive and there is no tutorial and the PDF doesn't cover much.  I really appreciate your help.  I've spent about 4 hours hacking around with this and I'm getting close to giving up and going the cut and save method.  thx cc

browj2 wrote on 8/5/2015, 6:38 AM

Use the zoom slider just above the keyframe area (travel points). Dragging a corner of the dashed box in the preview window inwards makes the image smaller, not bigger; this is the same as zooming out.  Now that you know where the keyframe area is located, follow my instructions in the second part of my first answer. To move the image around on the screen, click on it in the preview monitor and drag it with the mouse held down. See also pages 77-79 in the manual about animating objects and keyframing. See also this tutorial by Terry Pinnell; keyframing in Movie Edit Pro is the same as in PhotoStory.

I'm on my tablet and I'll check Word later, but normally if you right click on the image you will see a pop down menu that has the save as command. Don't use the normal commands from the top menu ribbon.

EDIT: Just checked in Word, right click on the pasted image give a Save as Picture, give it a name, change the Save as Type to jpg.

Last changed by browj2 on 8/5/2015, 10:39 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

John C.B.

carricurrier wrote on 8/5/2015, 11:34 PM

Thanks, John, for the link to Terry Pinnell's video.  I searched youtube for tutorials but never thought to search for Ken Burns and wouldn't have looked at movie maker at all.  I watched his video several times and used your instructions but still wasn't able to achieve what I want.  After googling I now realize that "key frame" is not a term exclusive to Magix.  I've never been in the video making world (my computer background is in financials).  When Terry says he "zoomed in" on St Pauls I see that the zoom slider goes to 350.  I can only get mine to go to 200 and it stills ends up shrinking the whole page.  I'm going hiking in the Colorado Rockies tomorrow so I'll try to start fresh tomorrow afternoon.

BTW Word 2007 doesn't allow for SAVE AS jpg.  Must be an enhancement in later releases.  thx Carri

browj2 wrote on 8/6/2015, 1:46 PM

Hi Carri,

Hope you had a nice hike in the mountains. Here is a quick and dirty tutorial that I made using PhotoStory 2013 showing keyframing for zooming and panning. You can type values into the boxes for more precision, and you can move the keyframes by simply dragging them. If you then increase the length of the image, then just check that the kf's are still where you want, otherwise slide them over. To modify a keyframe, click on it and the change the values (or move the image in the preview monitor) or use the zoom slider.

Here is a link to a clearer version.

The Ken Burns tutorial/video by Terry Pinnell is much better detailed and elegant.

Last changed by browj2 on 8/6/2015, 6:03 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

John C.B.

carricurrier wrote on 8/7/2015, 7:14 PM

Hey, John.  Great hike and learned about mining in the late 19th century.  Today it was birding (saw about 12 different species :-).  This has been an unusually busy week for me but now I'm back at my computer and have enjoyed the video you put together.  I wish I knew how to do that so I could actually show you what's happening on my computer.  I think I've honed in on the difference between your screen and Pinnells.  I load my picture, select effects and click on the picture in the timeline.  At his point an orange line appears around my picture with "handles" on the corners and each side.  When I drag the zoom slider the orange box goes in and out, not the picture.

I've checked "set up" and can't see if anything in set up would control this but, perhaps. you know.  I gather from our time difference that you are in the UK or Europe but your voice doesn't seem to convey an accent.  Where are you?  Thanks for time you're taking to help me and I'm sorry that I'm appearing so dense.  Carri

browj2 wrote on 8/7/2015, 9:49 PM

Hi Carri,

I'm in Montreal

Make sure that the playback marker is on the target photo and that the same photo is selected. If the playback marker is over a different photo than the one selected, you will see the one where the playback marker is located but you will be modifying the selected photo.

Last changed by browj2 on 8/7/2015, 9:49 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

carricurrier wrote on 8/7/2015, 10:37 PM

I'm  doing my test with only one photo . 

browj2 wrote on 8/19/2015, 1:02 PM

Hi Carri,

Have you got it figured out yet?

Last changed by browj2 on 8/19/2015, 1:02 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

carricurrier wrote on 8/20/2015, 11:49 PM

I gave up on Photostory and I started a free trial of  Proshow Gold.  They have some excellent tutorials and going through them made me understand Photostory better.  I went back to PS and copied the slide as many times as there are photos on the page.  I then created a section on each slide.  It works but it takes a long time and, of course, results in a large AVI.  I downloaded a test slide show with about 3 pages of the album and about 15 slides.  It took about 20 minutes to burn a DVD but it worked on my Tv.

So I went back to continue with more album pages and accidentally got some zooming working :-)  Today I spent a few hours trying to figure out what I did so I can recreate it.  I think I'm honing in on the process but it's quite tedious because my screen doesn't look like yours when I'm dragging the picture into the zoom area.  I left click and hold it down while I'm moving up/down/around the page.  Nothing changes on my preview window but the numbers indicating the position changes so the zooming is happening.  I then have to view the slide and tweak it several times to get the timing right and the photo zoomed in on.  Don't know why it doesn't work like your tutorial.  Perhaps I have some preferences or settings different than you.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to be "scientific" about the numbers (top, right, left etc.) so it'll take less time.  I really appreciate your help and wished it had worked better.  If you aren't totally disgusted I'm attaching one of my album pages.  If you'd like to take the time to make a tutorial from that I'd love it and maybe I can see what I'm doing wrong.  Thx cc

browj2 wrote on 8/25/2015, 9:32 AM

Hi Carri,

I'm back from a 2 week camping trip.

I hope that you are scanning the pages and taking photos of them. You will lose a lot of quality if you take photos.

You should not export to AVI; it has the lowest compression ratio and, as you found out, creates very large files. Use WMV or MP4.

I would still like to know what you are doing and why moving the image around by dragging it does not move the image in the monitor. That is very strange.

Regards,

Last changed by browj2 on 8/25/2015, 9:32 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

carricurrier wrote on 8/25/2015, 3:22 PM

Where did you go camping?  Used to do it lot... loved to get away.  My album pages won't fit on my flatbed scanner so I took photos with my iphone and they seem to come across OK.  Will WMV or MP4 work on a conventional DVD player.  The relatives I'm making this for don't really do computer stuff.  I'm going up to Hinton Sept 18 and hope to have DVD's to show them then.

I recorded two sessions trying to zoom in so you can see what's happening.  This is the first time for this so here goes:

[[VIDEO:cloud://]]

Damn it won't let me download flv files.  Should have tested that before I wasted a hour making them.  Perhaps I can attached them to an email and send it directly to you?

browj2 wrote on 8/25/2015, 6:30 PM

Hi Carri,

We went to Murphy's Point, an Ontario Provincial Park campground. Lovely! Not like the Rockies. With warm water in the Big Rideau Lake. Fishing was good. We have a tent trailer, a concession to getting older.

Hinton - Alberta?

There must be some way to scan those pages. The album page that you showed should pose no problem on a flat bed scanner, even if you have to scan it in two parts. Your goal should be to get the best images that you can from the photos, not the album pages. You are making a new album.

For DVD, you have to Burn to DVD, not export. You can have a menu with chapters, just like a commercial DVD. That is what will be played by your relatives. Make sure that you test the DVD on a couple of different machines to make sure that it works.

For posting, use one of the formats indicated like wmv (my favorite). You should be able to convert your video. Remember, that is what you are now doing with PhotoStory, creating videos.

Last changed by browj2 on 8/25/2015, 6:30 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

carricurrier wrote on 8/25/2015, 10:42 PM

Didn't want to take the time to convert the flv so I downloaded it to You Tube

The software I found wanted to change my search engine to Yahoo and didn't give me a way out :-(

Yes, Alberta.  My uncle was a park ranger in Jasper.  My grand mother was born in Penetanguishen because her father was working there as a lumberjack.  (Gives new appreciation of the Monty Python bit).  When I was married we'd migrated to an RV as a concession to age.  It was 32 feet so we could still go into campgrounds.  Self-contained so we didn't need hook-ups.  I really miss that life-style.

I've taken picture of all 150 pages of the album and the quality is OK.  I burned a DVD and played it on the TV and it looks fine. I kinda want it to look home made and not like Ken Burns did it.    I just want a quicker/easier way to zoom in on the individual pictures.  After all this effort with Magix and you it would have been quicker to just take individual photos of each item.