Import external MIDI files

Michael-Smith7480 wrote on 3/2/2021, 5:53 AM

Hi everyone, I hope you can help with what is probably a very simple matter, I have got some chords and melodies in MIDI file format but after dropping them in the soundpool folder can not get them to play when selecting them and dropping them into the work area. In other words how do you import and use external midi files?

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/2/2021, 6:02 AM

@Michael-Smith7480 You don't need the MIDI files in the Soundpool folder. These folders should not be altered. You just drag and drop the MIDI files into a track and then you need to add a VST or a Vita Instrument of your choice to create a sound out of the MIDI notes.

Michael-Smith7480 wrote on 4/3/2021, 10:43 AM

@Michael-Smith7480 You don't need the MIDI files in the Soundpool folder. These folders should not be altered. You just drag and drop the MIDI files into a track and then you need to add a VST or a Vita Instrument of your choice to create a sound out of the MIDI notes.

Thank you (if I had not thanked you before), this worked but I now have a new problem with a midi file I created externally to Music Maker, does anyone recognise this error message :-

It would appear that Music Maker does not recognise this mid file?

johnebaker wrote on 4/3/2021, 11:27 AM

@Michael-Smith7480

Hi

The MIDI file could be an older type 0 midi file which Music Maker is struggling to recognised - type 1 MIDI files do work in Music Maker.

Importing an MIDI will also give you another issue in that if it contains more than 1 active channel eg has piano, drums, wind instruments etc in the one file you will need to separate the channels out to individual tracks and assign instruments as appropriate.

To do this you add the same midi file to separate tracks - up to 16 if all channels are used - and then use the MIDI editor to filter out the channels as shown below

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Michael-Smith7480 wrote on 4/4/2021, 5:43 AM

Thanks for your patience, I have googled the hell out of MIDI files (I'm one of these lock-down-music-producer-wanabe's with lots of time and no expertise), and now know the difference between type 0, 1 and the never caught on 2. But there is no explanation given on how to check what type you have, is there a way I can check (no obvious indications in file properties).

I created this midi file in reaper for use in music maker (easier to use and more tools in instruments and loops to use) and think I may have an issue with making a file type that can only be used in reaper, so I'll need to check this with REAPER.

johnebaker wrote on 4/4/2021, 11:30 AM

@Michael-Smith7480

Hi

. . . . I created this midi file in reaper  easier to use and more tools in instruments and loops to use . . . .

By 'loops' do you mean audio loops? If so these cannot be incorporated in a MIDI file which is a series of instructions for the instrument(s). They would have to be exported as audio files eg WAV - one per track of loops.

When exporting the MIDI file from Reaper did you select the option to merge to single MIDI file.

If so this may be the issue, and would also create the issue I identified above about having to separate the channel out in Music Maker (MMM).

Try exporting a single MIDI track in Reaper as a MIDI file and see if this imports into MMM, if it does then this is the route to use and will avoid the issue of separating the instruments out.

While Reapers instruments may be easier to use, working across different programs from different companies is, IMHO, creating more work. Unless you can get MMM to use Reaper instruments then on importing you will have to reassign these to MMM's instruments and have to adjust the instrument parameters.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

emmrecs wrote on 4/4/2021, 11:46 AM

@Michael-Smith7480

I think your reference to more tools in instruments actually refers to MM. Is that correct?

@johnebaker, in and of itself Reaper has no instruments, or rather, it can use any standard VSTi on the host computer but actually includes none itself.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Michael-Smith7480 wrote on 4/4/2021, 2:29 PM

Thanks to you both, a bit of lazy typing and the whole lock down so more time than expertise thing on my part. But for me MM is easiest to use and REAPER comes with only basic synths, the only VST or plugin I am using with REAPER is oVox which is a great vocal blender/synth. But yes you are right I have to now figure out how to make sure the midi file I produced was not part of a REAPER project and need to create a stand alone midi from the track itself.