I too NOW HAVE - Could not start scan server VST2-SCANNER-32bit

sathyme wrote on 2/10/2022, 12:44 PM

I read some of the other posts of people who had this problem - BUT didn't really see a solution. I have SF 15, Windows 7, and YES I have RX8 as a standalone as well as what came with SF 15 - and I ALSO have SF 12 STILL installed as well as SF 9 - (I won't delete them as this has saved me when SF 15 AND SF 12 goes wonky - which it does sometimes but I have my Trusty SF 9!)

This JUST started approx. 2 days ago - I think it was after the latest update I clicked on. Whenever I start up SF 15 I get the above msg. YES - I added BOTH exceptions to my Anti-Virus system - Kaspersky - did not work - I manually tried turning off ANti-virus and File anti-virus - NOPE! - I've attached a jpg of the msg that pops up - AND YES - I could JUST ignore it and go on - BUT it MUST MEAN SOMETHING - SO I am turning to the Forum.

Comments

sathyme wrote on 2/10/2022, 12:45 PM

OH - I am Windows 7 64bit - in case that wasn't clear - So not even sure what the 32 bit has to do with my system?

rraud wrote on 2/10/2022, 2:52 PM

@sathyme, I have not experienced that issue nor have I read of it on this forum.
You might try re-setting SF, In the 'File' menu. select "Reset and clear cached data". Close and restart Sound Forge

You can request a Magix Sound Forge Tech Support ticket
It is a little confusing, peruse the cheat sheet from this comment,
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/unable-to-record--1272206/#ca1661047

There is a way to stop SF from scanning VSTs at each start-up if that would help.

sathyme wrote on 2/10/2022, 2:58 PM

Hi - Actually - You have, as you responded in THIS Forum - question - thread - (Whatever it is called!):

https://www.magix.info/us/forum/could-not-start-scan-server-vst2-scanner-32bit-vst3-scanner-64bit--1272297/

So - it is an issue - BUT - I think I will do a tkt - as I really don't want to mess up settings - as you may or may not know it takes AWHILE to get the SF the way you want it after every NEW install and such - But check out the thread Iink above - you will remember once you read it I'm sure.

rraud wrote on 2/11/2022, 10:55 AM

Yeah.. there is no easy way to restore SF settings. The keyboard shortcuts and layouts can be archived and restored, as can the Fx chains, Direct X and VST presets, but the toolbars and display settings are buried in the registry.

durham-b wrote on 2/26/2022, 8:31 PM

I just started seeing this too. Afraid I can't offer any help directly.

But , if you want to hunt down registry stuff...

the toolbars and display settings are buried in the registry.

...use Process Monitor (procmon.exe). It looks intimidating at first, but it really isn't. You just need to learn to filter the throughput. It's one of the best, and oldest, registry hacking tools. You will have to monitor and change values to find them, but they should be grouped together (might not be...this is an old codebase). Check out this article, it's pretty comprehensive.

Using Process Monitor (ProcMon) to Track File and Registry Changes

One thing to note: as they say later in the article do not leave procmon running and ingesting changes indefinitely. It stores all of the data in RAM so it will bog down pretty much any machine before too long. Set your filters, start monitoring, change values, then stop monitoring and divine which registry keys you are after. You can save the results to a flat file several different ways for later analysis, just don't leave the thing running or it'll eat your RAM. Might crash your 'puter too.

Sorry I can't help with the VST Scanner. I am also getting an identical error for the 64-bit scanner as well.

Question: is your machine running the DAW connected to the internet?

I have a pretty tight firewall on mine and some things do not like it. The error in question is in fact for a "server" (no clue what it is serving or to what endpoint) and it gives instructions to whitelist it to AV software. That's kind of odd to me. I've been using SF and ACID Pro since they were in beta with Sonic Foundry, have used all sorts of other DAWs and have never had to whitelist them with my AV software. These apps have been passed around a bit though. Sony bought out Sonic Foundry, then MAGIX absorbed them from Sony, so the codebase is bound to be quirky by now.

sathyme wrote on 2/26/2022, 10:35 PM

Hi - Thank you for all the Registry info. Since I wrote the above - I ALSO had a problem with SF 15 Crashing - closing down in the middle of record or listening back or what have you - ALL of a sudden - and sometimes in succession - no way to recreate it - I thought ALL of the problems was b/c I bought a new Scarlet 2i2 - 3rd Gen - and wrote them - Focusrite - as well - but It just seemed odd - SO - I contacted Magix Support and they sent me a PREVIOUS build - 64 - the one with the annoying - "Do you want to save..." even though you've already saved etc. as I told them I didn't have the problem with the older builds - I Uninstalled and re-installed it instead - and waited a good 4 days before I contacted them again and told them IT WORKED. Now - the VST problem - I haven't rebooted or rather closed out SF 15 yet - I keep my computer on - so I don't know if THAT also got rid of the VST problem noted above - but I suspect it will be fine when I do - tomorrow - So there is something with the New Build I think that interferes with some set-ups.

sathyme wrote on 2/27/2022, 1:46 PM

Hi - Further to my answer above - the VST PROBLEM is GONE with the reversion to the older build that I wrote about in the above thread. So indeed, it must be something within the SF 15 Pro new build that gave me that problem. And again, before I reverted, I WAS using :

Product version:
- SoundForge 15 Pro - Build 161 - 64 Bit

Clive-Delves wrote on 4/1/2022, 9:23 PM

Hi there.. I just started getting this problem too, first time using SF since the update to version 14.0 build 138 64-bit...

Clive-Delves wrote on 4/1/2022, 9:47 PM

Updated to build 140 of SF Pro V14 and the erro is gone..

sathyme wrote on 4/1/2022, 10:52 PM

So you are using SF 14 Pro? I'm using 15 Pro - but as I wrote above - ALL my problems - not just the VST problem - but the constant shutting down - are gone - I saw my logs recently as I was doing a backup - and there were like 30-40 Plus in one day - So I am using an older build as per Magix who suggested - and sent it to me - Build 64 - and I decided I better keep it as everything is running fine now.

But the thing Magix did tell me is - The more they hear/read/know about these problems - the better - as they had not encountered these problems - so if there are a bunch of us that have it or any problem - they can look into it - so thanks for writing!

SP. wrote on 4/2/2022, 4:01 AM

@Daniel-Toomey Contract sales support at infoservice@magix.net and ask them for a refund.

emmrecs wrote on 4/2/2022, 4:03 AM

@Daniel-Toomey

Your first post here has been hidden since it is completely irrelevant to the subject of this thread, sorry!

Please read this pinned post about SF Mac and all recent versions of Mac OS.

To receive a refund you should email infoservice@magix.net, explain what has happened and ask for their help.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam