How to turn off velocity sensitivity from Midi Keyboard

Bulevardi wrote on 5/6/2016, 6:35 AM

[can be treated in Dutch aswel]

Hi all,

I have a Akai MPK Mini mk2 (25 keys) keyboard, and I got it to work on Magix Samplitude Music Studio.

Unfortunatelly, the keys only send music when I push them already halfway, and when I push them to the maximum or heavy, it's not sounding loud.
I recorded something and went to the Midi Editor to see how much velocity, the maximum was 48.

While it should go from 0-127.

Anyone knows a trick to get it initially louder? e.g. starting at 50 or more?
Or some hack to turn off the sensibility so the keys are always playing at 127 ?

On the Akai forum I didn't find any solution, unless if your DAW is Ableton, there you can set the volume to the maximum as a standard effect on the track:

http://community.akaipro.com/akai_professional/topics/how-to-turn-off-velocity-sensitivity-in-mpk-mini-mk2

I was wondering if Magix has some similar solution for this?

Kind regards and hoping for a solution!

Dirk

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 5/6/2016, 11:33 AM

Hi

. . . . the keys only send music when I push them already halfway, and when I push them to the maximum or heavy, it's not sounding loud. . . . .

To use the velocity control to control the volume depends on how fast you press the keys, not how hard, the faster ( velocity ) you press a key the louder the note will be.

AFAIK the velocity setting is turned on/off in the Akai settings - you need to read the manual to find out how to do this setting.

There is also a helpful community for Akai equipment at community.akaipro.com

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/6/2016, 11:33 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Bulevardi wrote on 5/7/2016, 3:14 PM

It's not a matter of how fast or hard you should play.

I just wanted to have the incoming data at 127, no matter if I play slow or fast, soft or hard...

I found a nice VST called VeloScaler that sets your velocity to the output you want.

(this vst has aswel lots of other nice parameters to set up to randomize between chosen velocities)

However, Magix seems not capable to reroute the signal out so you can use it as input in another VST.
(other DAW's like Ableton are able to do so... )

So I found this other workaround, that finally worked!

Download 2 freewares:

- midi velocity curve changer (Trombettworks software)
- loopMIDI (loopMIDI | Tobias Erichsen)

In the first freeware (curve changer), your input signal arrives from your keyboard, you chose the output velocity you want (e.g. 127), and you choose where your output signal needs to go to: the second freeware (loopMIDI). You run loopMIDI on the background, and in Magix, you choose loopMIDI as input instead of the akai keyboard.

This way, you always have velocity 127 as input for any chosen VST in magix.

Hopefully this answer can help many others looking for the same small modification...

Maybe a good idea for a new magix version, to add an 'auto full level' option in the DAW.

browj2 wrote on 5/8/2016, 1:38 PM

Hi,

Samplitude Pro X2 has features to change the velocity, but only after recording. There is an offline screen to set the value, and a command to apply a fixed value. I don't have SMS 2016, only 2015 and Pro X2. I don't see the same features in SMS as I do in Pro X2. It seems that you have found a workaround, although simply selecting all notes in the MIDI editor and changing the velocity does the same thing. The default velocity is 110.

Here are the screen shots from Pro X2:

As for your keyboard, it is the keyboard that should be sending the correct MIDI velocity to SMS. SMS does not control the input. My keyboard sends the correct velocity information to SMS.

Last changed by browj2 on 5/8/2016, 1:38 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Bulevardi wrote on 5/9/2016, 4:34 AM

@browj2

That seems very nice in Pro X2.
However, I think this is done afterwards in editing mode?

In SMS I can change the velocity afterwards aswel to 127 via the Midi Editor.

But I want to hear 127 live when recording, as input signal already. 

On the keyboard there's a knob to get the max level for the drum pads, but not for the keys. On more expensive keyboards they have the knob for keys aswel...

Anyway, it's working now :)

zebi-tZebi wrote on 6/13/2023, 9:43 AM

Hi

. . . . the keys only send music when I push them already halfway, and when I push them to the maximum or heavy, it's not sounding loud. . . . .

To use the velocity control to control the volume depends on how fast you press the keys, not how hard, the faster ( velocity ) you press a key the louder the note will be.

AFAIK the velocity setting is turned on/off in the Akai settings - you need to read the manual to find out how to do this setting.

There is also a helpful community for Akai equipment at community.akaipro.com

HTH

John EB

Nope its how hard you press it

johnebaker wrote on 6/13/2023, 11:02 AM

@zebi-tZebi

Hi

Did you not notice that this topic was last answered 7 years ago.

. . . . Nope its how hard you press it . . . .

Nope - the APK Mini 2 does not support Pressure sensitivity ie Aftertouch - it does support Velocity sensitivity ie the speed at which the keys are pressed.

High end MIDI keyboards may support Pressure sensitivity.

This topic will be closed.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.