How to monitor audio while recording SF Pro 12?

Neil-Humphreys wrote on 8/20/2021, 11:53 AM

First time post here. I have an Audio-Technica turntable connected via USB. I can record ok and see the waveform in SF Pro 12 and then play the file after recording is stopped. However, I can't seem to be able to hear/monitor the recording as it is being done. I just have an integrated sound card on an i3 Intel processor and running Windows 10 Home.

Is there a way to hear the recording as it is being done?

Comments

rraud wrote on 8/20/2021, 2:45 PM

I do not have a USB turntable, but in general.. You should be able to hear the turntable though the PCs speakers with or without Sound Forge open. Check your PC's sound 'Playback' settings.
In Sound Forge, select "View> Record Options" and put Sound Forge in 'record ready' mode aka, Arm) prior to initiating recording.
Keyboard shortcuts are 'Ctrl+Shift+A' (Arm) and 'Ctrl+R' (Record).

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum @Neil-Humphreys.

Neil-Humphreys wrote on 8/20/2021, 3:30 PM

Thank you @rraud this seems like a windows issue with my setup rather than a SF issue. I'll contact my PC supplier next week to see if they can help.

Neil-Humphreys wrote on 8/21/2021, 5:39 AM

Brief update, I managed to resolve this by selecting the USB recording device, selecting properties and then selecting "Listen To This Device", Step 12 at the following link:

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/support/audio-solutions-question-week-can-listen-usb-turntable-pc-speakers/

Thanks to @rraud for pointing me in the right direction of it being a Windows issue not SF.

jasmine-c9019 wrote on 6/19/2022, 11:13 PM

I have hundreds of records, many obscure and irreplaceable. I'd like to convert some to electronic format for listening in the car. There are cheap turn tables I call record wreckers and good ones. All of the USB turntables I see online look like the cheap category. Is anything out there audiophile quality? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I'd like the conversion process to be simple but I'm open to some hardware that converts the output of a regular turntable to input the PC can work with.

rraud wrote on 6/20/2022, 10:31 AM

Hi @jasmine-c9019, a new topic may get more responses.

Digitizing vinyl is not my area of expertise but I would surmise that a high-quality turntable with an equally good phono preamp and a pro A/D audio interface would work and sound good. I would recommend digitizing at a minimum sample rate of 88.2kHz and 24 bit. Save as PCM <.wav> files for editing and archival purposes. Subsequent end-user files can be encoded from the PCM masters.. or just listen to the high-resolution PCM files when format, file size and portability is not an issue.