How to make DEL hard-delete selection again?

Freble wrote on 1/9/2024, 11:07 AM

Hi,

For some reason when hitting DEL the currently selected audio is not getting deleted any more, but seems to only be marked to be deleted. I never had it set up like that and am not used that Sound Forge works that way, so I must have hit a wrong keyboard shortcut or whatever some while ago that had triggered this different behaviour.

How can I make DEL just remove the selection again without this 'soft delete' type of thing? (and because I'm curious; what changed the behaviour? Is there a shortcut I should know of that toggles this behaviour perhaps?)

Thanks in advance

Using Soundforge Pro 15.0

Comments

rraud wrote on 1/9/2024, 12:35 PM

Hi @Freble I am not sure. what you mean by "marked to be deleted". When you delete a selection, does the waveform remain?
- Are you working in the (normal) 'Edit Tool' (Edit> Tool> Edit), and not the 'Event' edit mode ?
- Is the file an MP3 and do PCM (wave) files exhibit the same behavior ?
- Was the file previously saved as a Sound Forge project <.frg> ?

Freble wrote on 1/10/2024, 2:25 AM

Hi Rick @rraud,

Thanks for your response. With 'Marked to be deleted' (which is my assumption) I mean that it's not actually deleting the selection, but is marking it in the waveform. The only reason that is that I can imagine is to mark it to delete later.

- I've checked and am indeed 'just' in the Edit-mode.
- I don't think it's file dependent. Just editing in wave-files
- I never use .frg files/projects

Hereby a screenshot of how it looks:

For your info, in the past, when it was still Sony and Sonic Foundry, I used Soundforge a lot for years, even to create full tracks from scratch. Last years I got back to Sound forge but don't use it that often anymore, mostly only for quick edits to wave files as I use other software to create music (like ableton). But most keyboard shortcuts are still muscle memory. That to say I never have seen this before while I don't consider myself a newby, although I didn't follow all recent developments since it became magix so it looks like I am missing a feature here that I should know about. I looked in the 'manual', but couldn't find anything about this what's happening here now.

Any clue?

Thanks again!

Freble wrote on 1/10/2024, 2:41 AM

I just now found out that when holding SHIFT when pressing DEL (on windows) it IS hard-deleting the part instead of marking it. But that's obviously not what I want (I just want to use DEL to delete as it was before), and it wasn't like that before. So I must have toggled some feature by accidentally hitting another keyboard shortcut to activate this state (where I need to use Shift to hard-delete), because I didn't update the software recently.

So there must be some kind of toggle that I'm not aware of. If I knew what that toggle is that would answer my question

johnebaker wrote on 1/10/2024, 5:16 AM

@Freble

Hi

. . . . SHIFT when pressing DEL (on windows) it IS hard-deleting . . . .

A bit of a longshot.

Does DEL work normally in other programs?

If not are, and you are working on a laptop, or have a keyboard with multiple functions ie a Fn key, then you may have inadvertently switched the keyboard mode.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

rraud wrote on 1/10/2024, 12:57 PM

Hi @Freble, simply pressing the keyboard 'Delete' key, 'Edit> Delete (Clear)', or the toolbar delete (red X) icon always worked for me as far back as I can recall. There are no bugs or other reports of that behavior that I am aware of, so it is probably a setting in your PC that is causing the issue. If your PC deletes other data in general, you might try the SF reset in the file menu). Be be aware that most of your SF customizations will be reset to the factory defaults.

Freble wrote on 1/10/2024, 1:25 PM

@Freble

Does DEL work normally in other programs?

If not are, and you are working on a laptop, or have a keyboard with multiple functions ie a Fn key, then you may have inadvertently switched the keyboard mode.

Hi John, thanks for your response. Yes DEL works fine everywhere else and I'm not behind a laptop. Also the keyboard is just a regular querty keyboard.

Hi @Freble, simply pressing the keyboard 'Delete' key, 'Edit> Delete (Clear)', or the toolbar delete (red X) icon always worked for me as far back as I can recall. There are no bugs or other reports of that behavior that I am aware of, so it is probably a setting in your PC that is causing the issue. If your PC deletes other data in general, you might try the SF reset in the file menu). Be be aware that most of your SF customizations will be reset to the factory defaults.

The same for me. I never encountered this issue before. This is really something inside Soundforge as this issue appears nowhere else, and I'm using quite a lot of software here.

Resetting the Sound Forge Preferences did it though. Which also proves that this was truly either a Sound forge bug/issue or some setting or toggle function the three of us obviously don't know about. Would've been nice to know what actually caused this, but hey, if it works for the next 10 years you don't hear me complaining ;)

Thanks for the tip to reset, I didn't even know about that option, so will document that one for myself! Just in case something like this happens again in the future! Have a nice day y'all