Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 5/21/2014, 6:58 PM

Hi, There are many applications that can defeat copy protection, but they are both illegal and professionally imoral.  So why do you want to break the copy protection on a DVD and deny the legal copright holder of their royalty or rights under copyright law?  If you can give me a valid reason, I could show you how to do it for a short segment, but not a whole DVD.

George

eddiehotaling wrote on 5/22/2014, 5:31 PM

Hi, There are many applications that can defeat copy protection, but they are both illegal and professionally imoral.  So why do you want to break the copy protection on a DVD and deny the legal copright holder of their royalty or rights under copyright law?  If you can give me a valid reason, I could show you how to do it for a short segment, but not a whole DVD.

George

Hi George,

We bring dvd's from home to play in the lobby of our shop. We want to make copies of dvd's that we own so that we don't have to keep bringing them back and forth and so that the originals don't get scratched up from employees handling them. We aren't selling them or making copies for anybody, just making backups so the originals can stay safe at home. Thanks.

emmrecs wrote on 5/23/2014, 8:35 AM

George

Hi George,

We bring dvd's from home to play in the lobby of our shop. We want to make copies of dvd's that we own so that we don't have to keep bringing them back and forth and so that the originals don't get scratched up from employees handling them. We aren't selling them or making copies for anybody, just making backups so the originals can stay safe at home. Thanks.

Hi eddiehotaling,

Not sure which part of the world you're actually in but in many countries it is strictly-speaking illegal to make a copy of any disc, even for "personal" use.  In practice, it seems very few if any copyright holders will bother to prosecute a user who makes only one copy of a disc for themselves, but the practice is nevertheless illegal.  (Those same rights holders are much more interested in pursuing and prosecuting the (often criminal) gangs which pirate DVDs etc. on a "commercial" scale.)

I'll wait for George to respond to your second post; he may well be prepared to offer you a possible solution.  if not, I'll post back later with the procedure I would use.

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 5/23/2014, 8:35 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam