How do you reduce the lag in the preview on Magix video pro x5

jimmybob wrote on 6/18/2013, 7:09 AM

In the trailer, it clearly says that due to the system on all computers it can run without lag. I am using an HP G62 NOTEBOOK and my camera is recording in 1920 by 1080p 25 fps AVCHD. Even when I import just one clip in it lags a lot. Even after effects can run one clip without lag on my computer. Can anyone help me? I need to edit a half an hour film by tomorrow so I need to do this smoothely.

My camera--Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ150

My computer specs

AMD phenom II N830 triple-core processor 2.10GHz

4.00GB of RAM 3.74GB usable

64bit operating system

I would also like to say that the cpu usage percentage is very high. It goes up to 70%

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 6/18/2013, 10:39 AM

Hi.

VPX5 can handle AVCHD very well(!), especially if you select the option when starting the project to "Automatically create proxy files" AND ensure that the "lightning flash" (Enable smooth playback) below the Program screen is active - there are various options on its drop-down, including reduce frame rate and reduce resolution, which will allow any reasonably-high spec computer to successfully playback your footage.

However, I wonder what OS you're using (you say 64 bit but not which version)?  My system runs Win 7 32 bit but with an Intel Q9650 Quad-core at 3 GHz (with dynamic over-clocking) and effect or transition-heavy AVCHD can make it "labour" rather hard.  I have no experience of using AMD processors so cannot comment on how your spec relates to mine.

So, AVCHD can run smoothly (especially if you activate proxy files and the Enable smooth playback options) but the computer spec does need to be pretty "high". 

HTH

Jeff

BTW, all these options to make the playback smooth have NO EFFECT WHATEVER on the quality of your rendered footage.  They merely allow smoother playback on the timeline.

Last changed by emmrecs on 6/18/2013, 10:41 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

jimmybob wrote on 6/18/2013, 11:55 AM

Hi.

VPX5 can handle AVCHD very well(!), especially if you select the option when starting the project to "Automatically create proxy files" AND ensure that the "lightning flash" (Enable smooth playback) below the Program screen is active - there are various options on its drop-down, including reduce frame rate and reduce resolution, which will allow any reasonably-high spec computer to successfully playback your footage.

However, I wonder what OS you're using (you say 64 bit but not which version)?  My system runs Win 7 32 bit but with an Intel Q9650 Quad-core at 3 GHz (with dynamic over-clocking) and effect or transition-heavy AVCHD can make it "labour" rather hard.  I have no experience of using AMD processors so cannot comment on how your spec relates to mine.

So, AVCHD can run smoothly (especially if you activate proxy files and the Enable smooth playback options) but the computer spec does need to be pretty "high". 

HTH

Jeff

BTW, all these options to make the playback smooth have NO EFFECT WHATEVER on the quality of your rendered footage.  They merely allow smoother playback on the timeline.

Thanks for your answer, but, just to clarify, does that mean I would need to buy a better computer to run the videos without lag? It is just I need to present a film (roughly half an hour) by tomorrow and it contains many clips so I need to preview them without lag.

jimmybob wrote on 6/18/2013, 11:58 AM

Hi.

HTH

Jeff

I activated the proxy files, but no change still a ton load of lag :( It is annoying becuase a much more advanced software like after effects can run 1 file like this without lag

emmrecs wrote on 6/19/2013, 6:33 AM

I activated the proxy files, but no change still a ton load of lag :( It is annoying becuase a much more advanced software like after effects can run 1 file like this without lag

"Activated" or "created" the proxy files?  Activating the Enable smooth playback button and choosing to use proxies can only work if those proxies have been created first.  I don't think they are created automatically.

However, if using proxy files still does not solve your problem then you will need to take a long, hard look at your computer.  I'm still not sure which OS you are running; what about antivirus/firewall/other security (it is not unknown for such programs to grab the CPU and hence prevent other apps having unreserved access to it)?  You've also not said how much HDD space you have.  This should not be an issue but you need to remember that, to play AVCHD, VPX needs to decompress it and simultaneously "play" it.

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 6/19/2013, 6:33 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 6/19/2013, 1:36 PM

Hi

. . . . does that mean I would need to buy a better computer to run the videos without lag . . .

In my opinion - most definitely - the minimum spec system recommednded for HD is :-

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core-Processor with 2,83 GHz (Intel® Core™ i7 recommended), AMD® Quad-Core-Processor with 2,8 GHz   RAM: 4 GB

From experience I have found that the AMD's are not as efficient with video as Intel processors and 4Gb of RAM is the bare minimum - 8 - 16 GB is better.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/19/2013, 1:36 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jimmybob wrote on 6/21/2013, 3:48 PM

"Activated" or "created" the proxy files?  Activating the Enable smooth playback button and choosing to use proxies can only work if those proxies have been created first.  I don't think they are created automatically.

However, if using proxy files still does not solve your problem then you will need to take a long, hard look at your computer.  I'm still not sure which OS you are running; what about antivirus/firewall/other security (it is not unknown for such programs to grab the CPU and hence prevent other apps having unreserved access to it)?  You've also not said how much HDD space you have.  This should not be an issue but you need to remember that, to play AVCHD, VPX needs to decompress it and simultaneously "play" it.

Jeff

Kk the proxy files are created and if I set the project settings down to 720p I can run fairly smoothly (still slight lag, but I can deal with it), but, now, when ever I import a video it takes about 10 minutes creating the proxy files for the video! Really annoying, to be honest after all this trouble I think I am going to get another editing software

johnebaker wrote on 6/21/2013, 4:02 PM

Hi

. . . . Really annoying, to be honest after all this trouble I think I am going to get another editing software . . . .

The problem is not the software but what you are asking the Notebook to do..

Playback of HD from within editing software is very processor intensive, particular where you have transitions, fades and complex edits such as picture in picture .

This is the reason why the minimum spec requires a quad core processor and although the minmum RAM is specified at 4GB this does not leave a lot much headroom, hence the reason I recommend a minimum of 8GB.

Most editing software will struggle with HD on the Notebook.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/21/2013, 4:05 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.