How do I redo an audio track in Movie Studio 2024 Platinum?

Eric-Elliott wrote on 6/29/2024, 3:56 PM

Hi all,

A few of you will be "delighted"? to know that I am trying to work in Timeline mode in Movie Studio. I'm not so sure I am delighted, but I am sort of starting to see the benefits......I think.
I have slowed way down in making videos with voiceover. I'm 1/4 of 1/4 speed I was which was slow. It is a literal snails pace now. I just decided to submit to it.

I made my first video (I'm redoing everything I did in Video Easy). I have some questions and am stuck on something.

1) I tried setting the number of Tracks to 4, but it keeps going back to 32, which is far too many! I wonder if it is the fact that I changed it after I started the new video instead of before?

2) I am struggling with an odd behavior, when I go to work in a track, say the text track and make a change or what have you, I notice it disappears from the track list. It was there in pink a second ago and now it is gone. I just started moving on thinking I would not see it and settle for not having it and then all of the sudden it appeared again, but I don't know how I got it back.

3) I am stuck on something. I want to redo my voiceover in Movie Studio, but I do not see such an option when I right click on the audio track. The closest I see is doing an audio track outside of Movie Studio, which is physically impossible for me. It might be if it was just music or something, but NOT for voiceover.
Is there a way to redo my voiceover in Movie Studio I am just not seeing?

Thank you.

Comments

browj2 wrote on 6/29/2024, 10:24 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi,

1. Just leave it at 32 tracks - and never 4 tracks, 16 minimum. They are there if you need them. Normally you will probably only use 5 or 6 tracks and the others are off-screen anyways.

2. Not sure what you mean.

3. Once you have accepted an audio clip, it goes to the timeline. If you want to do it over again, delete it from the timeline. Then record another audio clip by placing the playback marker where your want the recording to start. To make sure the recording goes to the track that you want, first select the track by clicking in the header area of the track to turn it on (light blue). Then open the legacy audio recording screen as I told you in another thread.

In the image below, the recording will be placed at the location indicated on track 4. See the parameters screen part for turning on normalizing, indicating the filename if you don't want the default, and setting the location (file folder).

You can always edit the audio object by trimming it (or doing cleaning), but you can't change what has been recorded. I often have to trim back an audio clip because after 2 sentences, the third one went wrong. I accept the recording and just drag the end back to the left to trim off the bad part. This is a simple and normal part of editing.

BTW, you posted a message asking where the recorded audio file went. In the recording parameters, you can select the filename and the location and it is best to do that. The file is recorded to your hard drive with that path/filename and put on your timeline. If you delete the audio object from the timeline, it's still at the same location on your hard drive with the same file name.

I another thread, I believe that you mentioned that if you recorded with 2 cameras or a camera and cell phone, or something, and you wouldn't be able to align them in the video editor. Of course you can. You put them on separate tracks, one below the other, select the audio part of the object on the reference track, and holding down Ctrl, select the other audio part of object to be adjusted on the other track, right click, Align other audio objects with this track. It will usually do it. Then, you can mute the audio that you don't want.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Eric-Elliott wrote on 6/30/2024, 10:01 AM

Hi John,

Having it at 32 tracks is causing some irritations for me at the moment. I will never need more than 4 tracks and 99% of the time I'll be using a max of 3 tracks. I'll leave it for now to see if it clears up.

As for #2 it is hard to explain what it is doing. All I know is that when I go back into a track to do something, it disappears when I go back and is nowhere to be found, then a few minutes later it appears again. I'm not sure if there is a bug in the program or if it is normal and I do not understand what is going on. Either way it is frustrating.

So to delete the audio track from the time line I would click the "X" on the front end of the track? If so, would it put the new audio track in Track #2?

In fact, the other thing that caught me is that when I recorded the audio track, it put it in track #4. It was supposed to put it in Track #2 by default per the manual and tutorials, but it did not. Thank you for the trick to fix that, I did not know about selecting the track first. Now I won't have to do a scary move like before.

The audio edit screen and clean up screen is not needed for me. All my audio edits will be do-overs because it is just my voice. I'm not sure I understand your edit process. If I need three sentences and the third one goes bad, why would I trim it off and try to do some crazy move with it and just leave it? No no, I re-do everything, it is much longer, but easier for me. I figure I am supposed to spend at least 1.5 to 2 hours editing a 3 minute video and longer for 5 min vids and so on. That is just how I understand it goes for newbies for the first 12 months at least. It is what it is. It is the hardest thing about creating content outside of screwing up 6 or 7 times in filming and having to do the entire thing over.

What I meant about asking where the audio file goes I was referring to the tracks. When I fist did it I could not find it in all 32 tracks, it just was not there. When I did one yesterday it showed, but in the wrong track. I just let the file go wherever the default is except for saving the project, I put that in a different folder so I can find it easier. I will put the finished videos (if I ever actually get to finish one) in the same folder as an MP4 so I can post it later, plus I will have the MS project right there in case of later editing or something, then just re-save it as MP4 replacing the other one. I have a feeling that once I have about 5 short vids I will need an external hard drive. My PC has 1TB (two 500GB SSD HDD), but obviously not empty to start with. I have some mechanical HDDs I can use (I have a dock and enclosures as well as stand alone external mech HDDs). I do plan on getting a 1TB external SSD in future as well, which will likely be for music though.

That was someone else with the two cameras and phone and all that mess. I just have one camcorder and two still cams (one old SLR and one "point n shoot"). I use the SLR for stills (Example: I use it for showing some CDs) and the vid cam will be for showing the vinyl records, demos and everything else except screen recording of course.

browj2 wrote on 6/30/2024, 10:55 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

Here is a quick and dirty video on many things that you should know, particularly about adding and editing narration. I didn't edit my audio narration in this video, so it's a bit all over the place. For example, I think that I said that I use Music Studio instead of Movie Studio. My capture program doesn't have a mono button for audio, so my narration is only on one channel - left.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/5/2024, 1:07 PM

Damn it!!!!! This is the most frustrating thing in the universe. Movie Studio failed on me. I went in and followed the instructions to redo my voice over. When I deleted the track #2 where I manually dragged the audio to it was replaced by the "Text" track, which became Track #2. I want the audio there so I highlighted the header of Track #2 so when I record the audio will go there. I assumed some intelligence that the program would then move the Text track down to #3.

WRONG. My audio track is nowhere to be found! When I played the video back there was no audio!

I don't know what to do because now it will not even record audio at all! The screen is there and registering, but the audio goes no place.

I'm so flustered now that I think I may just give up and throw all the gear and everything away. I'm am getting nowhere. I take one step forward and five steps back. It just should not be this hard. I am really hating Movie Studio at this point, it just doesn't work as advertised.

browj2 wrote on 7/5/2024, 1:43 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi,

You have tracks to work with. I showed you what to do in the video.

If you have something in the way where you want to record, move it to another track or record on another track.

You can record on any track and move the object later.

That is why you have all of these tracks available.

When I deleted the track #2

Don't delete tracks! Delete or move the objects on the tracks.

If you delete an object (video, photo, audio) from the timeline the file is still on your hard drive. However, if you delete a text object, this is done in the program, not in an external file, so your text will be deleted.

Your recording probably went to the end of the timeline. Did you look there? If it's there, just drag it to where you want it.

If not, the file will still be there on your hard drive where your recorded it. That is why I showed you how to name and where to locate your recordings. Just go there with Windows Explorer and drag it to the timeline - on an empty track and move it to where you want it. This is basic editing.

John CB

John C.B.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/5/2024, 3:05 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi,

You have tracks to work with. I showed you what to do in the video.

If you have something in the way where you want to record, move it to another track or record on another track.

You can record on any track and move the object later.

That is why you have all of these tracks available.

When I deleted the track #2

Don't delete tracks! Delete or move the objects on the tracks.

If you delete an object (video, photo, audio) from the timeline the file is still on your hard drive. However, if you delete a text object, this is done in the program, not in an external file, so your text will be deleted.

Your recording probably went to the end of the timeline. Did you look there? If it's there, just drag it to where you want it.

If not, the file will still be there on your hard drive where your recorded it. That is why I showed you how to name and where to locate your recordings. Just go there with Windows Explorer and drag it to the timeline - on an empty track and move it to where you want it. This is basic editing.

John CB

I thought I had to click the "x" at the head of the track to delete and redo. I'll watch the video again, but that is what I thought I saw.

Yes, I scrolled forever and did indeed find the audio at the end of Track #2. It took me about 6 minutes to move it to Track #3 where I do not want it (far too long a time). Now I can't figure out how to move it to Track #2 where it needs to be. I tried dragging it there, but that doesn't work.

I now hear my audio when I playback, however it needs to be on Track#2 otherwise I can't edit the video part to match. I just need to extend the time of the video part, but I can't do that unless the audio is right below it, my eyes don't work normally. I get sick just moving them side to side in tests. So how do I delete the audio in the track and re-do it if it is not the little "x" at the header?

I watched your video again, but it doesn't really address what I am trying to do. I want to put my voiceover on track #2. If I find that I messed up someplace in my narration, I want to re-do the entire thing. I have no interest in trying to just fix it, I don't have a Phd in video or audio editing. I taught myself the basics of audio editing, but they do not apply here.

I also do not want to save my narration in a separate folder in some file tree. I will never be able to use it that way. I want to save it in the same project so I don't have to look for all the parts and try to figure out how they fit together. That is what the program is supposed to do.

The 500 page manual to this thing is almost useless. I talks more about stuff I will never use, than what I need to use. I have not and will not download all the stuff it keeps asking me on startup either as I'm sure it is not for me and likely problematic at best. I got this version of the program only because it was the least expensive. I was not interested in all the extra stuff.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/6/2024, 10:58 AM

What do I do to redo an audio track (voice over)? The only option I see is "delete". The other options are "copy" "Paste", "cut" and "add". I can't use "cut" because it needs to be pasted someplace.

I don't understand what to do if I am not supposed to "delete" the track?

browj2 wrote on 7/6/2024, 12:13 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

Please watch my video several times.

What do I do to redo an audio track (voice over)?

First, let's get the jargon straight. You don't redo an audio track, you simply record again to an audio file. In Movie Studio (MMS), tracks are what you put objects on. Objects are video files, photo files, audio files.

In MMS, you do not record a track. When you record, as I pointed out, the program creates an audio file with the name and at the location that you specify. It also puts that audio file onto a track where you specify or wherever it can. The audio file is not actually in MMS - it is just a pointer to the file that is on your hard drive. The same applies to photos and videos - what you put on the timeline is just a pointer to the real file. These files always need to exist on your hard drive.

Delete - yes, to remove an object, be it and audio file (your recording), photo or video or text, select it and either click on the garbage can on the toolbar above the timeline or right-click and select Delete from the menu or use the Delete key on your keyboard just like every other program.

Do not delete a track. If you put 10 photos on track 1 and want to delete 1 of them, do you delete the track, meaning that you remove all photos or do you just delete 1 photo?

You said that you have to put the audio on track 2 so that you can line it up with the video. I told you to use the setting with video and its audio on separate tracks. That means track 1 for the video and 2 for the audio, just like in my video.

Then record onto track 3 or 4 or 5. I showed you how to record in the video.

I don't understand what you mean by having to line up your audio with the video by having the audio immediately below the video object. Use the preview monitor to see what is in the video, not the little images on track 1. That is next to useless.

Can you post some screen shots so that we can see what you are doing?

John CB

John C.B.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/6/2024, 1:07 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

Please watch my video several times.

What do I do to redo an audio track (voice over)?

First, let's get the jargon straight. You don't redo an audio track, you simply record again to an audio file. In Movie Studio (MMS), tracks are what you put objects on. Objects are video files, photo files, audio files.

In MMS, you do not record a track. When you record, as I pointed out, the program creates an audio file with the name and at the location that you specify. It also puts that audio file onto a track where you specify or wherever it can. The audio file is not actually in MMS - it is just a pointer to the file that is on your hard drive. The same applies to photos and videos - what you put on the timeline is just a pointer to the real file. These files always need to exist on your hard drive.

Delete - yes, to remove an object, be it and audio file (your recording), photo or video or text, select it and either click on the garbage can on the toolbar above the timeline or right-click and select Delete from the menu or use the Delete key on your keyboard just like every other program.

Do not delete a track. If you put 10 photos on track 1 and want to delete 1 of them, do you delete the track, meaning that you remove all photos or do you just delete 1 photo?

You said that you have to put the audio on track 2 so that you can line it up with the video. I told you to use the setting with video and its audio on separate tracks. That means track 1 for the video and 2 for the audio, just like in my video.

Then record onto track 3 or 4 or 5. I showed you how to record in the video.

I don't understand what you mean by having to line up your audio with the video by having the audio immediately below the video object. Use the preview monitor to see what is in the video, not the little images on track 1. That is next to useless.

John CB

Hi John,

I'm more confused that ever now. I'll watch your video for the sixth time, but I am not understanding.

Unfortunately, my system can not do screenshots without special software, which I have but have not learned how to use yet. I tried just taking a screenshot, but it will not let me save it anywhere as a jpeg or anything. I can't even put it in MS Paint or anything. I can put it in a Word doc, but it will not save as a jpeg or anything.

My English is not enough to learn to call things what they don't seem to be. If I don't delete a track, but I do the same procedure to "delete" the "object" and the track disappears, then what is happening? I live on a different earth I guess. I did not highlight anything when I did that before, I just clicked the "x". Maybe that is the difference and would work differently.
MS does not allow me to specify the track I want to place my narration beforehand, it only let's me specify the filename and where to put it in my PC. I tried doing that and it still ended up in Track #4.

The audio is on a separate track, it defaults to track #4 and I have to carefully try to move it to Track# 2 so it is right below the "object (s)" in Track#1. That way I can see if Track #1 is too short or long and adjust it to fit the narration. It is near impossible to do when I have to scroll to find track #4 or when it is two or more tracks away from track #1. My text defaults to track #3 or something, which is fine, that can be anywhere it wants. This is why I need the audio to be directly below track #1. IK can watch the preview all day and that won't help even if IU use a stopwatch, which is ridiculous. I can't edit in the preview window (although MS says you can). I only use the preview to see how it flows or whatever.

If I don't learn or understand this stuff in the next week, I am giving up and tossing all my gear for this attempt. I just was looking to share my knowledge accumulated over 57+ years on music and my knowledge on custodianship, audio gear, etc. I can't monetize so I don't even concern myself with that, but did have to get the basic equipment. This stuff is way harder than I thought. It seems to require that I pay tons of tuition for 10 years of higher learning to do it. This is not something one can learn in ones own.

browj2 wrote on 7/6/2024, 2:18 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi,

I can't even put it in MS Paint or anything. I can put it in a Word doc, but it will not save as a jpeg or anything.

Simply paste the screen shot in Word, right-click on it and you'll see Save as Picture. Do that and in the drop down for the type, select jpeg. Give the file a name and save it somewhere. Then upload that using the upload button at the top of your next message in the forum.

I just tried audio recording to track 2 in Movie Studio 2024 and you are right, it puts the audio on track 4 the first time. The next time, it put it on track 2. I don't have MS2025 so I don't know if it wants to put the subsequent audio recordings on track 2 or 4.

Here is another video for you to watch. It's a bit disjointed. When I make my tutorials, they are planned and scripted and edited in detail. This was done live.

Basic editing is simple but you still have to learn how. I presume that you have not read the Quick Start part of the manual or watched my videos on basic editing, which you should have done. If you want to use any video program, you have to do some learning. Movie Studio is one of the most basic and straight-forward video editors available.

To learn, I create test projects and play around, learning whatever I need to, just like in the above video. I suggest that you do the same. Trying to learn by doing a real project can be very frustrating and time consuming.

John CB

John C.B.

CubeAce wrote on 7/6/2024, 3:08 PM

Hi Eric.

I do understand that for some people who have not had much experience with computers all of this can be daunting.

What you may not realise is the people who have been trying to help you are also (mostly) older or at least retired. I myself am 68 years old. In my younger working days worked in the film/TV/Audio industry Editing film and recording audio so I had a technical background all be it in the days of analog and physical handling of media and not the digital media now represented in ones and zeros.

I left that in the late 70s and went into industry then later self employment so I have had to relearn stuff all my life so having to grasp new ideas has not been maybe such a struggle as it could be for others.

In earlier posts you have said you would prefer individual tutorage. This I understand as I that was a large part of my job when self employed. That path to learning is expensive but there are other ways of getting tutorage dependent on where you live.

If you live in the UK there is a volunteer group called 'Men In Sheds' who comprise of men (and surprisingly women) who have worked in various disciplines or have avid interests in various hobbies and can tutor on one to one or a group basis for a small donation to the group that allows them to rent meeting places or buy materials etc, or if one does not have the disposable income can be offered help for free.

There may be similar groups in your area that you could contact for help. A lot may depend on the country you reside in.

The relatively small amount of people trying to help you here are from all over the world. The UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, The USA and possibly others of who I am not aware of their home country.

While I don't think age is a barrier to learning, as we get older, getting to grips with newer ways of working does become much harder and slower to adapt to.

I am lucky. Although I left the entertainment industry my passion for photography and recording audio in general got me into the digital age and side of things quite early. With Windows 98 to be precise and using a an audio program called Cubase for my audio recording and using Photoshop for developing my images from my Digital cameras

. From there it was not a big leap to start using Video editing software and for me at least the graphical layout and the way the Magix programs worked were close enough to what I was already used to seeing as to make it almost second nature.

I know, and we see from others that went straight into Video editing with the original Sony Vegas programs, that using The Magix versions of that program is just as alien and confusing to them as it is to you. Possibly more so.

But just because I and others here can do all of this and we accept it as being easy, it is only because of our past experiences that we have built upon that have got us to this point.

Ask me to do something similar on my smart phone and I would not know where to begin. I know it is possible and possibly a bit more long winded but where to start? I haven't a clue.

I can see your frustration in your replies on the pages that you post to and possibly the frustration of those trying to help you when they can't get what is to them now a simple process across to you so that you can do it for yourself.

But please know this. All the time you do not give up, nor will most the people here stop trying to help you.

That it will possibly be frustrating on both sides but I don't think impossible.

I think for those trying to help it would be first helpful to try to help you understand what the timeline editor is and is not.

Images with some small amount of text may help more to explain rather than video with lots of text.

I will at some point try to start doing that. Bit by bit if you are still replying to the posts here.

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4894

Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2130 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 560.81 - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MMS 2024 Suite v 23.0.1.182 (UDP3) and VPX 14 - v20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MMS 2024 Suite, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio. Mixcraft Pro 10 Studio.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

Gid wrote on 7/6/2024, 4:42 PM

John CB

Hi John,

I'm more confused that ever now. I'll watch your video for the sixth time, but I am not understanding.

Unfortunately, my system can not do screenshots without special software, which I have but have not learned how to use yet. I tried just taking a screenshot, but it will not let me save it anywhere as a jpeg or anything. I can't even put it in MS Paint or anything. I can put it in a Word doc, but it will not save as a jpeg or anything.

@Eric-Elliott I showed you how to create & save a screenshot, you even replied saying that you would do it. This link will take you straight to my comment where I showed you https://www.magix.info/us/forum/where-did-my-audio-go--1339300/#ca1939664

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/6/2024, 4:52 PM

John CB

Hi John,

@Eric-Elliott I showed you how to create & save a screenshot, you even replied saying that you would do it. This link will take you straight to my comment where I showed you https://www.magix.info/us/forum/where-did-my-audio-go--1339300/#ca1939664

Yes, Sorry, but there is so much I get lost easy. I just tried that trick and it doesn't work. What it does do is brings up a menu specific to MS about batch files or something. (I call it a bug that should be fixed).
I am going to try to do a screenshot through Word.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/6/2024, 5:07 PM

Here is my screen shot:

I don't have MS Word as it is not available to me. I am using German software that is like MS Word (Ashampoo), but does not function the same. I had to go through several steps to find a work around to convert to jpeg, but I did it.

As you can see, my narration track is #3 and I need it to be #2. I am going to attempt to move it.

I also need to make sure the time the picture and scrolling text appears is the same as the length of narration. I think I got it, but have not confirmed yet. I get dead stopped when I run into such problems and get very fearful of going further until resolved.

I may scrap this video all together and just put in the written description what I am doing here if it is not right.

I am going to work on shorter video segments I think. I was trying to show pics of the artist and then pics of the CDs in one take and narrate through it. However, I recently got the idea to do segments instead and stitch them together, which should be as easy as simply adding them from on the same track from the contents container or whatever it is called. However, something tells me I will run into a huge problem when I do that such as the narration won't import with the picture/video. If that happens I am giving up, because there is no easy fix for that. In that case, I will forget the CDs and move on to live takes.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/6/2024, 5:18 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi,

I can't even put it in MS Paint or anything. I can put it in a Word doc, but it will not save as a jpeg or anything.

Simply paste the screen shot in Word, right-click on it and you'll see Save as Picture. Do that and in the drop down for the type, select jpeg. Give the file a name and save it somewhere. Then upload that using the upload button at the top of your next message in the forum.

I just tried audio recording to track 2 in Movie Studio 2024 and you are right, it puts the audio on track 4 the first time. The next time, it put it on track 2. I don't have MS2025 so I don't know if it wants to put the subsequent audio recordings on track 2 or 4.

Here is another video for you to watch. It's a bit disjointed. When I make my tutorials, they are planned and scripted and edited in detail. This was done live.

Basic editing is simple but you still have to learn how. I presume that you have not read the Quick Start part of the manual or watched my videos on basic editing, which you should have done. If you want to use any video program, you have to do some learning. Movie Studio is one of the most basic and straight-forward video editors available.

To learn, I create test projects and play around, learning whatever I need to, just like in the above video. I suggest that you do the same. Trying to learn by doing a real project can be very frustrating and time consuming.

John CB

I have read the quick start part of the manual and I'm not sure what program it discusses, it is disjointed. I have also read through parts of the main manual trying to find what is relative, but that is difficult the way the contents table is laid out. I have watched the quick start and your videos twice and struggle to follow. The official tutorials don't cover the basics for what I am trying to do. I'm trying to be very minimal, I have no interest in high quality or Hollywood productions. If I need that I would have to hire a crew.

As for doing tests that are not real projects, that is not easy for me. I need things to act they way they would with real projects and what I am trying to do is very minimal in function. I don't care about color saturation, algorithms, tags, hues, advanced stuff I can't even pronounce, etc.

I expected to be able to learn the very basic minimum without 7 years of higher education needed, but I am proven wrong. I am beginning to believe that video editing programs and complicated music programs and such are for those who want a career in those fields and not for the casual creator or what have you.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/6/2024, 5:32 PM

Hi Eric.

I do understand that for some people who have not had much experience with computers all of this can be daunting.

What you may not realise is the people who have been trying to help you are also (mostly) older or at least retired. I myself am 68 years old. In my younger working days worked in the film/TV/Audio industry Editing film and recording audio so I had a technical background all be it in the days of analog and physical handling of media and not the digital media now represented in ones and zeros.

In earlier posts you have said you would prefer individual tutorage. This I understand as I that was a large part of my job when self employed. That path to learning is expensive but there are other ways of getting tutorage dependent on where you live.

While I don't think age is a barrier to learning, as we get older, getting to grips with newer ways of working does become much harder and slower to adapt to.

But just because I and others here can do all of this and we accept it as being easy, it is only because of our past experiences that we have built upon that have got us to this point.

Ask me to do something similar on my smart phone and I would not know where to begin. I know it is possible and possibly a bit more long winded but where to start? I haven't a clue.

I can see your frustration in your replies on the pages that you post to and possibly the frustration of those trying to help you when they can't get what is to them now a simple process across to you so that you can do it for yourself.

But please know this. All the time you do not give up, nor will most the people here stop trying to help you.

That it will possibly be frustrating on both sides but I don't think impossible.

I think for those trying to help it would be first helpful to try to help you understand what the timeline editor is and is not.

Images with some small amount of text may help more to explain rather than video with lots of text.

I will at some point try to start doing that. Bit by bit if you are still replying to the posts here.

Ray.

I'm not retired (59) and must keep working until I'm at least 71 (although I don't think I will be around then), so my learning time is also limited, which may be a factor. I have to wait a whole week to try things.

I live in the US unfortunately.

See, that is the wall if you well, All you guys have decades of experience with this stuff as you have all had careers in it. So yes, to you lot, it all seems simple as breathing.

I'm the same way with smartphones, I barely know how to turn them on and off, I just learned how to text and can make calls. I hate those things and swore I would never have one, but it was forced on me in 2023. Not worth the $150 it cost and I often never even turn it on. I certainly can't do anything else with it and my eye sight is so bad that the screen looks like a postage stamp and the enlargement trick makes things worse. That is the entire breadth and width of what I know about "stupidphones" as I call them. Give me a rotary or simple push button phone any time!

I just figured out the screenshot stuff, but due to using German made software the usual MicroSoft instructions do not apply, so I discover the work arounds.

Gid wrote on 7/6/2024, 6:45 PM

Yes, Sorry, but there is so much I get lost easy. I just tried that trick and it doesn't work. What it does do is brings up a menu specific to MS about batch files or something. (I call it a bug that should be fixed).

@Eric-Elliott I've no idea what you're talking about, Windows key + Shift + S is a built in Windows shortcut, I doubt that would be hard to change by accident & I also doubt it is a bug,

This is how it goes.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

Gid wrote on 7/6/2024, 6:47 PM

Here is my screen shot:

As you can see, my narration track is #3 and I need it to be #2. I am going to attempt to move it.

@Eric-Elliott Just click on the audio track clip, keep the mouse button pressed & drag it up onto the track above.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

Gid wrote on 7/6/2024, 6:52 PM

See, that is the wall if you well, All you guys have decades of experience with this stuff as you have all had careers in it. So yes, to you lot, it all seems simple as breathing.

@Eric-Elliott I'm a joiner/carpenter, never worked in the film industry & I'm nearly as old as you,

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

Gid wrote on 7/6/2024, 6:54 PM

Hi John,

Having it at 32 tracks is causing some irritations for me at the moment. I will never need more than 4 tracks and 99% of the time I'll be using a max of 3 tracks. I'll leave it for now to see if it clears up.

@Eric-Elliott Just ignore the tracks below that you're not using, I don't know why this bugs you so much.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

Gid wrote on 7/6/2024, 7:03 PM

I expected to be able to learn the very basic minimum without 7 years of higher education needed, but I am proven wrong. I am beginning to believe that video editing programs and complicated music programs and such are for those who want a career in those fields and not for the casual creator or what have you.

@Eric-Elliott As has been mentioned on here & by me on your other posts this is a very simple editing program to use,

Did you try the simple project I suggested in your other post to get you started with editing, cutting & trimming?,

3 buttons at the bottom of the preview window & 3 keyboard keys, Z to trim the start, T to cut the clip & U to trim the end of the clip. With the clicking on the clip & dragging I mentioned above you can do everything you're are wanting on the timeline,

This link takes you to that project suggestion https://www.magix.info/us/forum/where-did-my-audio-go--1339300/?page=1#ca1939804

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/6/2024, 8:51 PM

@Eric-Elliott I've no idea what you're talking about, Windows key + Shift + S is a built in Windows shortcut, I doubt that would be hard to change by accident & I also doubt it is a bug,

This is how it goes.

What was I hitting? I did Windows key + Shift + S several times and it brought up a batch menu in MS. I just did it again to make a screen shot of that and this time it came up with a menu to select what I want in the screen shot, which would be correct.
There must be something wrong with my PC and windows. My system is clean, perhaps too clean?

AAProds wrote on 7/6/2024, 9:54 PM

@Eric-Elliott

As you can see, my narration track is #3 and I need it to be #2.

There is no need to have it on track 2. You have a title on track 2. Just leave your narration on track 3 (or any empty track, it doesn't matter if there are empty tracks).

In Single Object mouse mode:

You can click on any object (image, title or your narration object) and drag it to wherever you want it. (the other mouse modes select the other objects so you can move the whole lot and once).

You can now move your narration.

All my forum comments are based on or refer to my System 1.

My struggle is over! I built my (now) system 2 in 2011 when DV was king and MPEG 2 was just coming onto the scene and I needed a more powerful system to cope. Since then we've advanced to MP4 and to bigger and bigger resolutions. I was really suffering, not so much in editing (with proxies) but in encoding, which just took ages. A video, with Neat Video noise reduction applied, would encode at 12% of film speed. My new system 1 does the same job at 160% of film speed. Marvellous. I'm keeping my old system as a capture station for analogue video tapes and DV.

System 1

Windows 11 v23H2 severely modified by Openshell and ExplorerPatcher

Power supply: 850W Cooler Master (should have got modular)

CPU: Intel i7 13700K running at 3400mhz, cooled by a Kraken 2x140mm All In One liquid cooler.

RAM: 64gb (2x32gb sticks) G.Skill "Ripjaws" DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU 1: iGPU UHD 770

GPU 2: NVidia RTX 3060Ti Windforce 8gb

C drive: NVME 500gb

Various other SSD and HDDs.

Monitor: 27"/68cm Samsung, 2560 x 1440, 43 pixels/cm.

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

Magix Video Easy version 7.0.1.145

System 2

(Still in use for TV and videotape capture)

Windows 10 v22H2

CPU: i5-750 at 2670mhz with 12gb RAM

Onboard IEEE1394 (Firewire) port

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4770 (512mb) which is ignored by MEP

Hard drives: C Drive 256gb SSD, various other HDDs.

Monitor: Dell 22"/56cm, 1680x1050, 35 pixels/cm

MEP 2021 version 20.0.1.80

Movie Studio 2023 version 22.0.3.172

VPX 12

Eric-Elliott wrote on 7/6/2024, 11:00 PM

@Eric-Elliott

As you can see, my narration track is #3 and I need it to be #2.

There is no need to have it on track 2. You have a title on track 2. Just leave your narration on track 3 (or any empty track, it doesn't matter if there are empty tracks).

In Single Object mouse mode:

You can click on any object (image, title or your narration object) and drag it to wherever you want it. (the other mouse modes select the other objects so you can move the whole lot and once).

You can now move your narration.

It matters to me a great deal. It is easier to match up the video/picture on track #1 if my narration is on track #2 especially trying to work in Timeline