How do I know when/if Smart Cleaning has actually been actioned

Xenofex2 wrote on 1/26/2024, 10:15 AM

An old program, Magix Audio & Music Lab Premium (22-2-0-53), I have just started recording some of my (very old) Vinyl. I am currently at a loss to see how I would know when using the ‘Auto Cleaning’ tool that the recommended effects have been effected.  

Looking at the Help Menu in the program, the way I read the guidance, it appears all I have to do is click on the ‘close’ button and these effects take effect. This seems to be exactly the same as in ‘Sound Forge’.

Unfortunately I cannot see any such button or possibility on which to click for the cleaning effects to take place. I attach a screenshot. Any suggestions please?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/26/2024, 10:45 AM

@Xenofex2

Hi George

Did you get the result pane after selecting the cleaning tools required and then clicking the Automatic Cleaning button?

It should look something like this - this is from Video Sound Cleaning lab, however the interfaces are nearly identical.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/26/2024, 10:48 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Xenofex2 wrote on 1/26/2024, 11:00 AM

John,

Thankyou once again. Looking at your screenshot, I moved on to clean the first track on Side Two, taking a longer look at the screen and it was there. I guess I must have clicked on it automatically when cleaning the first side of the Album, and then later wondering as to whether the Effects had been actioned, looked at the Manual, and of course the cross had already been ticked by then. Thankyou for your help.

browj2 wrote on 1/26/2024, 11:05 AM

@Xenofex2

Hi George,

When you click on the Auto Cleaning button, the audio is analyzed and a screen pops up showing the result.

The program just uses the built-in tools and makes adjustments to them as per the analysis. Look at the values that are in the above screen - in your project - and note them. These will be the values in the tools that are used. You can make adjustments here or later in the tools themselves.

When you click on the Cleaning button to get the tools, you get the screen in your image showing the result on the cleaning tools - in your case, DeClicker/DeCrackler and DeHisser. That is why they are highlighted. Click on the gear of the DeClicker/DeCrackler and look at the values. Same with the DeHisser. The values from the Auto Cleaning have turned on the tools and you have the same values.

That is all.

If you don't like the result, you tweak them or use other tools like VST plugins. But, you have to know what you are doing.

In my test (using SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4), there was a lot of noise, but the Auto Cleaning tool did not detect it or use the DeNoiser.

So, I opened the DeNoiser and did it myself. Of course, I could have adjusted the DeNoiser in the first instance, but then it uses the default noise print which is probably not even close to the noise in my recording.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Xenofex2 wrote on 1/26/2024, 1:06 PM

John

Thankyou for those Tips and Suggestions.

In the last few days I have re-checked out my USB Turntable and can now listen as I record on Audio & Music Lab. Will enjoy re discovering my old LPs

Shame there is only 24hours in a day.

George