How can I save or export a 2.1 (3-channel) file as a stereo file?

Jonathan-Singer wrote on 2/19/2023, 12:16 PM

This is the first time I've used multi-channel editing in Sound Forge Audio Studio 15. I imported three mono .wav files into a 3 channel file. I've edited all of the segments into the first two channels. I want to save the project as a 2-channel stereo .wav file. I can copy and paste the first two channels into a blank stereo file, but I have to imagine there is a simpler way of doing it. Copying and pasting channels into a new file seems like a recipe for human error. I've looked through the documentation and watched some videos. Is it possible to delete a channel or export three channels to stereo? Or is that not possible? Thank you in advanced.

Comments

SP. wrote on 2/19/2023, 12:45 PM

@Jonathan-Singer Try Process > Channel Converter to mix your three channels down to two channels.

rraud wrote on 2/19/2023, 12:56 PM

Sound Forge is a multi-channel editing application and is really not designed for mixing and overdubbing multiple tracks, A multi-track DAW application is much better suited for this task. Acid, Audition, ProTools, Reaper, Samplitude and the free Audacty are multi-track options. Vegas Pro video also has a substantial multi-track DAW built in, which Sound Forge can be integrated to.
Besides 'Channel Converter, for existing channels , you can copy audio from anther file or channel and 'mix' it in with "Edit> Paste special> Mix".
In any case, a multi-track application is best

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Jonathan-Singer.

Jonathan-Singer wrote on 2/19/2023, 4:01 PM

Thanks y'all. @rraud - I appreciate the clarification. I've done this very same thing using Audacity before and found it very easy. I wasn't sure why it was so difficult on Sound forge.

It appears my version of Audio Studio 15 doesn't have the Channel Converter option under Process. Not sure why.

SP. wrote on 2/19/2023, 4:11 PM

@Jonathan-Singer I see, it's probably a feature that's missing in the non-pro version.

If you export your file as a stereo WAV, does this give you the desired result or will it just remove the third channel?

Jonathan-Singer wrote on 2/19/2023, 4:24 PM

In Audio Studio you can't save/export a 3-channel project as a stereo file. You get a message saying that option has been hidden. So, the only way to do it is to copy each channel individually and paste it into a new stereo file.