Comments

SP. wrote on 4/13/2022, 6:40 PM

@Former userΒ In the Suite version you will get a new EQ plugin. It's nothing special if you already own a similar plugin from a different developer. In the normal version you will also get a some new loudness visualisations and a redesigned plugin manager. Multichannel functionality seems to support more audio formats in the new version. I think the only interesting new feature is the new resampling algorithm. But that will not justify the upgrade price for me.

I personally skip two or three versions, for example I used version 12 and upgraded to version 15. I think this will make the upgrade costs much more reasonable. In the Suite version you will basically pay the higher price for the Magix/Celemony plugins and programs like SpectraLayers. If you don't use them or if you already own them, that's wasted money. SpectraLayers can be upgraded for very little during Black Friday directly at Steinberg, so there is no need to pay high prices for an upgrade at Magix to get the newest version. The next problem is, once you own the Suite version, you basically need to stay on the expensive Suite level for future upgrades because everything else would be a feature downgrade compared to the Suite version.

Former user wrote on 4/13/2022, 8:59 PM

@SP. Thank you. I am a relative newb with SFP so it is hard to cut through the marketing noise.

Audio repair is important for my work and Spectra Layers Pro is a great deal with SFP. iZotope RX series advanced is out of budget. For complex audio restoration, the SFP suite seems to be the best deal out of all vendors. Acon Digital is the poor person's iZotope.

My current goto EQ are the native ones on SFP, DDMF IIEQPro and SplineEQ. I have an EQ from Harrison Mixbus, the AVA LegacyQ, which crashes SFP 100% of the time. If I ever strike it rich, I will get EQuilibrium by DMG Audio. 😎

Usually the cream-of-the-crop pro's stick with the exact same software and do not upgrade for years and years, but the marketing and promo pricing can be compelling at times.

rraud wrote on 4/14/2022, 11:49 AM

Hi @Former user, If you initially purchased the SFP-15 Suite and you upgrade to the standard version of SFP-16, the 'Suite' plug-ins will work with SFP-16, but they will not be upgraded unless you upgrade the SFP-16 Suite version.

As @SP. stated, there is not a huge difference between SFP-15 and 16, Personally I can live without the 'new' features: 'Loudness visualization; 'Optimized multichannel workflow; 'Advanced plugin manager' and redesigned 'Resampling engine'.

Former user wrote on 5/6/2022, 8:08 PM

Can anyone comment on how big a jump SFP 16 is over 15? What about 16 suite over 15? Would you surmise it is okay to skip a version until some bigger changes come down the pipeline?

IMO, Sound Forge Pro isn't worth upgrade off of anything v12 and later unless they decide to add a Multi-Track Workflow like the Audio Montages in WaveLab (or similar feature in Acon Acoustica). Until then, I don't see much value in it when you can use a Free DAW and just export clips to a Wave Editor for editing... and Audio Studio works fine for that.

You are better off getting Samplitude Pro X Suite when it's on sale, instead, which comes with the previous version of Sound Forge Pro, and all of the same plug-ins (and often SpectraLayers Pro). For Audio Editing and mastering, it is a superior option.

I don't think upgrading Suite to Suite is good value because you're paying a tax for a bunch of plug-ins that haven't been updated in a decade [or more], and which you've already paid for in the previous version you own. Economically speaking, that's a wasteful upgrade path. Honestly, the same can be said of Samplitude Pro X Suite, but you can easily use the same version for several years (Windows).

SpectraLayers is cheaper to upgrade at Steinberg, after you acquire your initial version (which can sometimes be cheaper to acquire there as well, due to sales and further discounts at retail partners). The sales for it are cyclical and fairly predictable. I think they just had one.

But I'd wait for SpectraLayers to move [officially] to the new Steinberg Licensing before getting a new license. I would never upgrade for an "additional" license as that license will become redundant when the next version of SLP releases (though, you may get it for free depending on timing).

Former user wrote on 5/6/2022, 8:18 PM

@SP. Thank you. I am a relative newb with SFP so it is hard to cut through the marketing noise.

Audio repair is important for my work and Spectra Layers Pro is a great deal with SFP. iZotope RX series advanced is out of budget. For complex audio restoration, the SFP suite seems to be the best deal out of all vendors. Acon Digital is the poor person's iZotope.

My current goto EQ are the native ones on SFP, DDMF IIEQPro and SplineEQ. I have an EQ from Harrison Mixbus, the AVA LegacyQ, which crashes SFP 100% of the time. If I ever strike it rich, I will get EQuilibrium by DMG Audio. 😎

Usually the cream-of-the-crop pro's stick with the exact same software and do not upgrade for years and years, but the marketing and promo pricing can be compelling at times.

Acon Acoustica's restoration plug-ins are actually REALLY good, and a decent chunk of the selling point of that product - compared to something like the Sound Forge Noise Reduction Pack. Additionally, Acoustica has better CODEC Support as well as a Montage-Style workspace/workflow which is lacking in Sound Forge Pro. It also has Spectral Editing built-in (like WaveLab Pro).

For general Audio Restoration, you don't need RX Advanced. Standard will do. That is often quite cheap on Crossgrade from other products. Most of the disparity between RX Standard and Advanced are not going to be covered by SpectraLayers Pro, and certainly not by Sound Forge Pro.

The best "lower cost option" is actually (and IMVHO) Samplitude Pro X Suite, which basically bridges the gap between something like Sound Forge Pro and WaveLab Pro or Acon Acoustica Premium to a large degree - while still bundling a versio of Sound Forge Pro with it.

However, the Restoration Plug-ins are still no match for iZotope (or even Acoustica) or Steinberg's.

Calling Acoustica "poor person's iZotope" shows a completely lack of understanding on what type of product this is. Acoustica is actually a LOT more like WaveLab than it is like RX. It's a Wave Editor and Mastering Tool that does Spectral Editing.

RX is designed primarily as an Spectral Audio Editor for Restoration and Postproduction. A huge selling point of RX is that - like most iZotope - it is very modular. All of its processing tools are available as plug-ins that you can use directly in a DAW or NLE, without having to round trip audio out of it (or even use it as a Connect or ARA2 [in Logic Pro]) plug-in. This streamlines workflow to a decent degree (since making adjustments within a plug-in chain is easier than making an adjustment to destructively edited audio bounces).

Much of what is in RX Advanced is geared towards the postproduction market. For most people, Standard suffices.

SpectraLayers added to Sound Forge Pro doesn't bridge the gap of disparities between these product lines. It still leaves Sound Forge with largely the same disadvantages, and SpectraLayers is no RX. SpectraLayers is actually the "poor person's iZotope." Lol. Steinberg got it because they compete heavily against iZotope and Avid in that market, via Nuendo, etc.

Former user wrote on 5/6/2022, 8:57 PM

@Former user Thanks for your comments, but am not sure what you are basing your insights on.

In one specific scenario, I restore/repair old cassette interviews. Some of the interviews are clean and sound good. Other tapes capture continuous noise from nearby electronics while conducted over phone. This is where 'forensic level repair' comes in. In this specific case, the Acon Digital Restoration Suite and Spectra Layers Pro do a pretty good job. Not to mention SFP's native tools. When you look at how much something like iZotope RX advanced costs when compared to Sound Forge Pro suite, there is no comparison. Bang-for-buck, SFP comes out swinging. I would gladly use iZotope RX advanced. If I had the money.

Speaking of dream software, Zynaptiq also has some great plugins that are priced out of range for me. Audio Wizards I respect use Zynaptiq to make magic.

I also do field recordings for video and cannot always get clean location audio signals for interviews. You do your best, but 'life happens'. There could be reverb, mains hum, wind, traffic, mobile device signal interference, and so on. So good audio repair is essential.

Say what you want about me not understanding Acon Digital by calling it a poor man's iZotope is not being disrespectful. Look at the price point and what you get for your money, especially if it is on sale. I am grateful for Acon Digital. Spectra Layers Pro is actually a fantastic tool and really cleaned up some nasty tones with the 'unmix' feature. I would not be so dismissive of it.

When comparing different products for audio recording and restoration or mastering, Sound Forge Pro is one of the best deals out there for my needs. I know of no other package that gives you so many repair options and something as good as Spectra Layers Pro all rolled into one good deal. I have not even scratched the surface of SFP, but know the tool can do MUCH MORE as my skill improves. With the help of some people here, I have been able to work magic on a budget. SFP is an excellent tool.

One of the let downs of SFP is that my Harrison Mixbus AVA Legacy Q EQ crashes the program 100% of the time, but DDMF II EQ Pro and the native EQ's are great for now.

As for Samplitude Pro, I would very much love to get it. Hopefully one day! Not to mention Sequioa!!!

You could be right about the Samplitude Suite Deal being one of the best out there. Or the Vegas Pro for that matter.