Getting Skype Audio in decent shape with SFP?

Former user wrote on 3/26/2021, 11:29 AM

I am working on an audio webcast series and have an interview recorded with someone via Skype. The interviewee is in a kitchen, so there is reverb and some of the compression that comes with Skype. How would you handle the audio and what tools would you use to make it sound manageable? Here is a sample clip: https://bit.ly/31kSXrE

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/26/2021, 12:26 PM

I would EQ the file to attenuate the high frequencies a few dBs or so, (2 or 3khz and up), maybe a de-esser as well to smooth the harshness.
Attenuating the room's acoustic reflections is another problem altogether. Sound Forge AS or Pro does not natively include a de-verb process but plug-ins and stand-alone software is available. iZotope's RX Advanced is ofter a go-to. Other options include SPL's De-verb and Steinberg's SpectraLayers Pro 7 (which btw is included in the SFP-15 Suite). There are a few others as well... search. I am not aware of any freeware de-verb plug-ins, unless one has a limited time demo version without audible or rendering restrictions. in any case, none can totally eliminate room reflections.. at least without artifacts that are worse than the original annoyance.

Former user wrote on 3/26/2021, 1:04 PM

@rraud Thanks for the advice. I have Izotope RX5, old...but the best I can do for now. What sequence would you apply the filters/effects?

rraud wrote on 3/26/2021, 1:48 PM

You can also try an EQ notch filter to attenuate the primary room reflection frequency with a parametric EQ.
I am not familiar with RX5 (Standard or Advanced), I would try a conservative amount of de-verb (if RX5 has it) before and after the EQ, which usually produces less artifacts. instead of one heavy-handed process.

emmrecs wrote on 3/26/2021, 2:28 PM

@rraud @Former user

From my memories of using the app I'm pretty certain RX5 Advanced did not include the Dereverb module - it first appeared in a later version - so it will not be in RX5 Standard either.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

condex wrote on 3/26/2021, 6:04 PM

From an online review of RX5 by https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/izotope-rx5-631302 it is noted:

iZotope has made the De-reverb module standard to all RX5 packages (it was Advanced only)

Given that the OP has RX5, at least he can check out for sure whether RX5 has De-reverb.

But 'Dialogue De-Reverb' was introduced with RX7 and is only in RX7 + 8 Advanced.

Former user wrote on 3/27/2021, 11:07 AM

From my discussions with audio engineers, getting audio in shape is similar to cooking. Sequence, timing, and measurements of ingredients are important. So, perhaps EQ would come first and then the other things like noise reduction and deverb. RX5 does have Deverb. However, I am interested in @rraud assertion that SFP has plugins natively that handle this. Newer software (?) is better instead of old ones.

rraud wrote on 3/27/2021, 1:46 PM

The only plug-in that is 'included' would be in the Sound Forge Pro-15 Suite which is significantly more $ than the standard SF Pro.

EQ is 'generally' applied prior to compression and limiting and guitar/vocal type Fx.

Former user wrote on 3/27/2021, 2:03 PM

Yep, SFP Suite is currently out of my budget range. I will have to make do with what I got now.