From DAW to Sound Forge ( through Interface? )

mike-m wrote on 9/29/2021, 3:45 PM

I have an UA Apollo and love the "Analog" sound quality from it.

I read that When Bouncing / mixdown directly IN a Daw, that it does Not through interface.

But what if I record From Daw into Sound Forge, will that go from Daw-through Interface-then into Sound Forge?

( Trying to take advantage of Apollo analog type studio or fat sound type thing..?..etc..)
Can anyone advise?
Mike

Comments

SP. wrote on 9/29/2021, 4:48 PM

@mike-m You need to check if your interface has a loopback features that allows other programs to record your computer audio. Then it should work. Otherwise you need audio cables to connect to outputs of your interface with its inputs and then you should be able to record the computer audio.

mike-m wrote on 9/29/2021, 5:37 PM

Thanks. I am a bit confused though..
I would assume Sound forge is recording from my interface (which is my only soundcard as well) , so if I have a Daw (Studio One 5) playing song in real time and I go and arm and record sound forge, and it records, isn't it recording though the interface?

rraud wrote on 9/30/2021, 10:43 AM

I am not sure about the Apollo, but the typical 'record what you hear', does not loop through the interface's analog input stage, which I assume gives the analog character you like.
As @SP., stated, you likely need to physically connect cables from one device output to the Apollo's input.
An analog modeling plug-in is an easier option. There are many available, free and otherwise. I have auditioned more than a few, including Wave's Abby Rd J37 and Jeroen Breebaart's free 'Ferox'. Ferox stands out because it is free and has settings to tweak the 'analog' character.

craig-d wrote on 10/1/2021, 1:37 AM

An analog modeling plug-in is an easier option. There are many available, free and otherwise. I have auditioned more than a few, including Wave's Abby Rd J37 and Jeroen Breebaart's free 'Ferox'. Ferox stands out because it is free and has settings to tweak the 'analog' character.

I agree with this...I also use Ferox, and the Abby Road J37 plugin...they are both pretty solid, and will save you a headache