Frequent crashes in SFP after applying effects.

Former user wrote on 3/27/2021, 2:06 PM

I have about two hours of dialog that I am in the process of whittling down. When I apply an EQ, I notice the processor working hard, and then a deesser, SFP crashes. So far it is 3/3 times after I apply effects. I have 64 and 32 bit installed, though my OS is 64 bit. I was thinking to perhaps try to edit with the 32 bit version and that might lead to more stability. Any thoughts on boosting stability?

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/27/2021, 5:23 PM

Hi @Former user, what file type are you working with? SF can work more efficiently with the uncompressed PCM format. Go to "Options> Preferences> General" and choose "Always proxy compressed formats".

Former user wrote on 3/27/2021, 6:37 PM

It is a wav file, no compressed formats.

rraud wrote on 3/28/2021, 11:55 AM

Which EQ? How are you applying the process?? As a single plug-in (no-chain)? In a non- destructive timeline plug-in chain? Applying in the destructive mode in an Fx Favorites plug-in chain? Are there other plug-ins in the chain? If so, what?

You could try resetting SF and clearing the cache (File menu).. which in some cases has been known to remedy twitchy performance.

Former user wrote on 3/28/2021, 1:13 PM

@rraud Thanks for your response. I am new to Sound Forge, so if there is a native parametric EQ and deesser I can use that will make the program less likely to crash, I am all for it. Initially I tried Ozone 5 and then Harrison AVA plugin, 'legacy q'. I also used the Harrison AVA Deesser. I went to FX favorites and then picked out the plugins I wanted. Maybe that was the wrong way. Am not sure how to change the menus. I picked the plugin I wanted, double clicked and previewed my changes, then applied it and then, 'crash!'

rraud wrote on 3/28/2021, 1:59 PM

There are lots of EQs in SFP both VST and Direct X (DX) Try one of the DX EQs, I use the legacy Track EQ' here and there, There is also the other legacy SCS Graphic. Parametric and Paragraphic. The free Kjaerhus Classic Graphic EQ (VST) is another favorite with very low CPU draw,

That said, EQs in general do not tax the CPU, so the problem may be elsewhere. How much RAM is in your system? 8GB would be the absolute minimum for SFP. Ozone (a known resource hog) loads slow on my PC but never any preview glitches. The newer Waves VSTs on the other hand are known to cause problems when it's GUI is open. I ahve never had that problem with iZotope or Plug-in Alliance VSTs

You could also try the 32 bit version of SF, both will coexist w/o issue and share many of the same settings. Have have the 32 bit version installed for some favorite DX plugs that don not run on 64 bit hosts.

Former user wrote on 3/28/2021, 3:06 PM

@rraud Thanks, I will try those options you mentioned. I have 32 GB of RAM. Will first give the editing another go with the ones you mention, if that fails, will switch to 32 bit version. Suspect this is also an OS (Windows OS) problem as experience shows that most programs do not run well on Windows. If SF ever gets to working on Linux, like Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve, stability would greatly improve.

Daniel-Toft wrote on 3/28/2021, 3:28 PM

I just wasted an over an hour my laptop battery died tried everything to upgrade purchase acid 10 Pro sweet before deadline not the first time the system is flawed made every step until last purchase would not put in my cart would not complete please honor and fix it this is beyond ridiculous I'm totally pissed I hate the system please fix it honor upgrade purchase thanks

rraud wrote on 3/28/2021, 5:27 PM

This is a users network @Daniel-Toft, there are no Magix employees here. Your comment is also irrelevant to the current tech issue. You can start a new post if your wish, but you will still need to request support at Magix Customer Service .. or unofficially by email: infoservice@magix.net