Freezing MIDI to .Wav: sound cuts in and out in certain spots in .Wav

Marc-Caroul wrote on 11/15/2023, 11:12 PM

I posted this question on https://community.samplitude.com/ and opened up a ticket but alas to no avail yet. I want to try this forum as a last resort. I am using Samplitude Music Studio 2021 on Windows 10 (64-bit, 16 GB RAM). I compose using virtual instruments and do everything I can to save resources: I have very few MIDI tracks loaded with VSTs at one time and I have purged articulations I am not using so I know this is not a RAM issue.  MIDI plays back just fine but when I bounce a track to audio, often times some notes get cut short or there are breaks in long notes.  Sometimes simply bouncing the track again a second or third time makes it go away, but most times I have the issue in the same places in the track, again even though MIDI plays back fine and I don't have any issues related to peak level approaching 0 db.  Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting?  I did an experiment where I exported the same MIDI files into 3 other DAWs and did not experience this issue. Freezing a MIDI track should be a "what you hear is what you get" result. I am currently experiencing the same issue in my free trial of Samplitude Music Studio X8. This used to happen only intermittently but it seems to be happening more often. I love Samplitude's workflow but if I have to go to another DAW just to reliably bounce MIDI to .wav than that will be a deal breaker in my continuing to use Samplitude. I am using BBC SO from Spitfire Audio as my main orchestral virtual instruments, but I use other lighter weight Spitfire libraries as well as samples from other developers; the issue I am describing is not limited to BBC SO.  Many thanks in advance

Comments

SP. wrote on 11/16/2023, 2:09 AM

@Marc-Caroul Have you tried to increase the ASIO buffer by a lot?

Marc-Caroul wrote on 11/16/2023, 8:20 AM

Thank you so much. I cannot begin to express how grateful I am for your help and how many hours of work you just saved me! Here is what I did which I want to share with others: In the VST / Rewire menu, the maximum buffer size had been set to -2, but once I set it to 0 ("no maximum") the track that was glitching out every time finally froze properly. This step alone seemed to do the trick, but for good measure I also went to System Options > Audio Setup and doubled my VIP Object Buffer settings from 4096 to 8192.