Failed registration of product I just purchased (Audio Cleaning Lab 4)

Alan-Durant wrote on 3/14/2022, 10:44 AM

I have just upgraded from my earlier Audio Cleaner Deluxe 17 (2016, and before that Audio Cleaner 3, from 2006) to Sound Forge Audio Cleaning Lab 4, to run in a virtual machine in Windows, as previous versions have.

I decided to upgrade only because I wanted to move existing programme from one virtual machine in windows (8.1) to another (Win 10) and tho installed serial number was not accepted in the Win 10 VM even after I'd uninstalled from previous VM. So I tried to reinstall on previous VM (8.1), but serial number not then not accepted there either, despite having been installed there before. Fair enough. Good programme, time I got a newer version anyway.

After downloading new [prpogramme straightforwardly, I type in my serial number activation code for ACL4 (fits letters and hyphens grouping perfectly, double checked), and it doesn't accept it. I've checked my previous purchases in my account, all there. I've looked at tech help on Magix site, installed MGX installer helper but it showed nothing in dropdown. Have had no previous difficulties with Magix 17 in a Windows VM, including after reinstalling in replacement version after unfortunate VM crash. If only in Win 10 I'd assume something to do with OS but not being able to install either new version or old version back in 8.1 - feels like an exasperating purchase.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 3/14/2022, 12:05 PM

@Alan-Durant

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

I'm not sure how many posters here actually install their software in a VM (certainly I don't) but I think that should not be an issue.

However, can you screenshot, or quote in full the error message you see, please? That might give us some sort of clue about what is "going wrong" for you.

One thought: by far the most frequent reason for serial numbers etc., not being accepted is because the user's Antivirus and/or Firewall prevent the necessary two-way communication between his computer and the Magix servers. Could this be a factor on your machine?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Alan-Durant wrote on 3/14/2022, 4:04 PM

Many thanks, Jeff! There was no error message, just the red cross. I assumed the field was active though because the hyphens appeared as I typed the serial number. But you were right: I temporarily switched off Win10's PUP and other programme restrictions and voila, all solved, registered, and Win10 settings restored. Will just need to check whether to permit programme (or some aspect of it) through the firewall /other security settings later, I suppose. But meantime thank you very much for your advice.