Fade in/out lengths in Mix

BenCWin wrote on 1/4/2024, 1:34 PM

I just bought Soundforge 17 for personal podcasting and radio purposes. With previous additions of Soundforge, when using the mix function, I could add a fade in or out when I mixed. Let's say I mixed in an outro song under the end of the monologue... I could fade it in over a few seconds. This version's mix feature doesn't have fade ins or fade outs. Where do I find and enable this? Thanks.

Comments

SP. wrote on 1/4/2024, 1:43 PM

@BenCWin For Fade-Out and Fade-Ins you need to switch to the Event editing mode.

Which version of Sound Forge did you use previously?

BenCWin wrote on 1/4/2024, 1:49 PM

Like 9, it was really old but it worked.

BenCWin wrote on 1/4/2024, 2:03 PM

@BenCWin For Fade-Out and Fade-Ins you need to switch to the Event editing mode.

Which version of Sound Forge did you use previously?

How do I switch to Event editing mode when using the Mix feature?

BenCWin wrote on 1/4/2024, 2:41 PM

So when mixing speech over music, you don't want the music to immediately drop the 15db or so at the mix, you want it to fade down (and likewise, up, after the speech) because otherwise it sounds choppy and unprofessional. The previous versions had this feature in Mix. The current version, by default, does not have this fade featuring in the mix tool. When I switch it Event editing mode, all it does is highlight the sound file, and enable zoom or split. I can't see how that helps what I am trying to do. Would a screenshot on an older computer with the older version help?

rraud wrote on 1/4/2024, 2:58 PM

The 'Mix' (Ctrl+M) process in Sound Forge Pro has fade handles to adjust x-fades. The 'Audio Studio' version does not have the Mix-x-fade option. But as @SP. stated, you can use the 'Event' mode (Edit> Tools> Event) to move audio clips around, x-fade, adjust the head/tail edges and trim the gain of the clips/events by dragging the top of the event downward. There are additional Event settings in the 'Options' menu for auto x-fades as well as 'Ripple' to automatically move adjacent events on the timeline Both versions of SF have the 'Event' mode.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community .

BenCWin wrote on 1/4/2024, 3:33 PM

The 'Mix' (Ctrl+M) process in Sound Forge Pro has fade handles to adjust x-fades. The 'Audio Studio' version does not have the Mix-x-fade option. But as @SP. stated, you can use the 'Event' mode (Edit> Tools> Event) to move audio clips around, x-fade, adjust the head/tail edges and trim the gain of the clips/events by dragging the top of the event downward. There are additional Event settings in the 'Options' menu for auto x-fades as well as 'Ripple' to automatically move adjacent events on the timeline Both versions of SF have the 'Event' mode.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community .

I see. Had I known that, I wouldn't have bought it. That's the feature that set it above free options like Audacity. Otherwise this is nearly identical in function and control to Soundforge 9. But the price difference between Studio and Pro isn't worth it for this single feature, though it was the one feature I needed. Very disappointed in my purchase, as I think I am going to have to use a different program for podcasting/radio.

rraud wrote on 1/4/2024, 4:29 PM

A multi-track application is best for mixing two (or more) separate audio elements as well as overdubbing a new element. Acid, Audition, ProTools, Reaper, Samplitude and the free Audacty are popular multi-track DAW options. Vegas Pro video has a substantial multi-track DAW built in, which Sound Forge can be integrated to..
Sound Forge is a multi-channel editing and mastering application for mono, stereo. quad, and 5:1 files. SF Pro supports 7:1 surround and immersive sound files up to 32 channels.

BenCWin wrote on 1/4/2024, 6:08 PM

A multi-track application is best for mixing two (or more) separate audio elements as well as overdubbing a new element. Acid, Audition, ProTools, Reaper, Samplitude and the free Audacty are popular multi-track DAW options. Vegas Pro video has a substantial multi-track DAW built in, which Sound Forge can be integrated to..
Sound Forge is a multi-channel editing and mastering application for mono, stereo. quad, and 5:1 files. SF Pro supports 7:1 surround and immersive sound files up to 32 channels.

I've been using Soundforge 9 since 2008 for a local and eventually regional radio broadcast I host. I've tried multitrack, but they overly complicate things. The mix w/fade feature in SF9 was far simpler and yielded perfect results. The only reason I bought Soundforge 17 is because I got a new computer and 9 no longer works as it did. Trust me when I say that I have years of experience doing this thing in Soundforge, and it was by far the best tool I've tried. I'm very, very disappointed this nearly identical version lacks the mix w/fade feature.

I use multitrack to produce brass quintet recordings in my studio, so I know how those work and agree they're better for that purpose. For a simple dub over, or fading music in under the end of my radio broadcast as I do, mix w/ fade was far easier and more efficient. Again, I'm disappointed in my purchase. Maybe I can find something else. Or maybe a friend has an older but recent enough copy I can get my hands on.

rraud wrote on 1/5/2024, 12:01 PM

I have the installer files for Sound Forge 8 and 9 if you want them. You would need valid serials to activate though. If you registered SF-9. the activation serial would be in 'Magix Service Center> My products' which was ported over from Sony. If you have access to the old PC with SF-9, the serial is stated in the SF 'Help' menu