Comments

rraud wrote on 1/26/2022, 1:47 PM

You can use normalization to boost the overall peak amplitude (volume) to 0.0dBFS or below in Sound Forge' Process menu, A peak normalizer will not compress or change the dynamic range, it will just raise (or lower) the file's entire amplitude, An RMS normalizer can affect the dynamic range similar to a compressor/limiter. Sound Forge Pro has both, Audio Studio only has peak normalization which is plenty adequate in most cases
You can also use a volume maximizer tool, which is basically a brick-wall peak limiter with automatic volume compensation. I like the legacy 'Wave Hammer' in Sound Forge Pro which adds a vintage (1176 FET) sound (good or bad). OTOH, the Loudmax loudness maximizer VST plug-in is relatively transparent and simple to use.. best of all it is free,. Many maximizers have a maximum peak ceiling parameter setting Lowering the threshold fader will raise the output volume, There are many other 'volume maximizer' plug-ins available, free or otherwise.
FWIW, Volume maximizers and comp / limiters in general are often missued, more is not necessarily better.

btw, welcome to the Sound Forge Forum @Alain-Leduc

Walter.I wrote on 1/27/2022, 2:10 PM

A peak normalizer will not compress or change the dynamic range, it will just raise (or lower) the file's entire amplitude, An RMS normalizer can affect the dynamic range similar to a compressor/limiter.

I apologize if I stumble in here:

@rraud
Do you happen to know which normalizer is applied in Vegas Pro (peak or RMS) when you select Normalize from the right-click menu?

Last changed by Walter.I on 1/27/2022, 2:12 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

rraud wrote on 1/27/2022, 3:02 PM

If so enabled, Vegas can Peak normalize event(s). It does not have the RMS option. Comp/limiting or volume max plug-ins can be applied to events, tracks and master busses.. lest not forget the volume envelopes.

Walter.I wrote on 1/27/2022, 4:22 PM

If so enabled, Vegas can Peak normalize event(s). It does not have the RMS option.

Thanks for the info!

lest not forget the volume envelopes.

Of course - thanks anyway for pointing it out.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111