Comments

cpc000cpc wrote on 9/21/2013, 5:49 AM

jaynaidu,

Generally speaking the Pro X version has added features that gradually appear in the MEP level programs as new versions are released. For example, VPX has had proxy editing for some time but this has only been available in MPE with the release of version 2014.

I kept up with VPX only until version 2.5 and now find MEP does all I need for video editing. To choose between the two you have to consider what sort of editing you want to do -- and how deep your pocket.

Others may have more personal experiences to share, but I suggest you go to the Magix site and read for yourself...

http://pro.magix.com/en/video-pro-x/features.280.html

http://pro.magix.com/en/video-pro-x/technical-data.300.html

Regards,

Carl

gramon55 wrote on 1/22/2014, 12:00 PM

I own both, Movie Edit Pro MX Plus and Video Pro x5. They are totally different programs with the Magix interface. I also have PowerDirector and Corel Video Studio. I use each for different types of desired outcomes. Video Pro is the best for complicated multiple track long videos. The main problem I have is how intensive the processing is. Some times I have to mix the tracks without effects, export them, and import them again as a single track. Then, applying the effects with only one track is easier to process for the computer. I use an 8 core AMD 4100 mhz card overclocked to 4600, a 2g Radeon hd 7750 video card, an Asus gamers motherboar, 8 silent fans, a front fan control, a 750 wat power. Still, I have to crank up the processor to have smooth video when editing 1080, 60 fps. Corel Video Studio is more tolerant.

Movie edit pro is simpler and great for shorter videos with less tracks. It does not have a simultaneous multi track viewer. When I was using this program. I had a regular dell computer with 16 gigs of slower RAM and an integrated 1 gig video card. I made very nice music videos with this set up with no complications.

SullyPanda76us wrote on 6/26/2017, 9:04 PM

So are they the same or not?

johnebaker wrote on 6/27/2017, 2:06 AM

Hi

Please do not resurrect old topics, this one is over 3 years old

. . . . So are they the same or not? . . . .

No - you can see all the features of Video Pro X here and Movie Edit Pro here

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jann wrote on 11/25/2017, 6:40 AM

I have also been interested to switch from Movie Edit Pro to Video Pro X - and had also difficulties to find out what exactly is the difference between these programs, when i tested it some time ago. And what makes everything more confusing, is all that announcing of new versions and new features and new patches ...but the Magix customer service told me (24.11.2017)  that there hasn't been any updates during the past 6 months or so.

Other unclear thing is the price. At the moment there is a favorable upgrade offer (from Movie Edit Pro to Video Pro X), but as Magix' video software is now on "subscription", and the future subscription price is unknown, i find it maybe too risky to switch over :-/

Anyway, there seems to be a comparison here: www.magix.com/gb/video-pro-x/product-comparison

BTW: Anybody knows if Video Pro X is fully compatible with NewBlueFX Elements plugins? as Movie Edit Pro isn't.

RogerGunkel wrote on 11/25/2017, 10:14 AM

Hi Jann,

As John said in his post, if you use the links you can see the difference between the programmes.

When I changed from MEP to VPX7 a while ago, I noticed an improvement in stability and speed, plus a number of useful extras, although I really can't remember what they were now, but enough to justify the change. Certainly the multi camera edit facility from 9 cameras was useful, with four in view at once. Mercalli was also extremely useful. I then upgraded to VPX a few weeks ago and have found additional improvements that have again speeded up editing and rendering. NewBlue Essentials, NB Video Essentials, NB Stylizers and NB filters were all included in the upgrade, plus LUTs, Colour matching and other improvements to numerous features that you will see in John's Links.

Although the future subscription price is unknown, updates are free for 12 months and whatever Magix told you, I have had two improvement updates since moving to VPX very recently. The annual subsciption is unlikely to be any more than the previous user updates that seemed to be available every 12 months or so. Of course you won't have to update if you don't want to as the programme will continue to operate but with no further updates.

Roger

jann wrote on 11/25/2017, 2:15 PM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your comments. Interesting that you mentioned stability. The main reason i skipped Video Pro X trial after very short testing was instability.

However, I had similar problems with Movie Edit Pro - and something that got resolved later - so i wanted to give Video Pro X another try. But it seems that the new trial won't run in my computer, as i have tested the program a half a year ago.

Tried to contact Magix customer support about that, but - as usual - there wasn't any help to get (wonder why it's called customer SUPPORT?) :-/ I just got told that the recent version is same as last time and that i have to get new computer if i want to test it again. So, it seems Video Pro X gets some small updates once or twice per year. I guess Magix has other priorities now that they acquired Vegas?

Mercalli V4 which is included, seems to have a limited license and expires after 2 years. Would be nice to know what happens then? Must buy/rent it again or...?

Anyway, i still would to give Video Pro X a change. I like the way Movie Edit Pro works and i'm used to use it - but i need just a bit more control over colors etc - so the Video Pro X might be the right choice.

johnebaker wrote on 11/25/2017, 2:30 PM

Hi

@jann

What is the specification of your computer - processor make/model, graphics card or chipset, RAM,  hard drive configuration, sizes and free space?

. . . i have to get new computer if i want to test it again . . .

Once a trial version has been installed on a PC and has expired then it cannot be re-installed.

. . . . Movie Edit Pro . . . .but i need just a bit more control over colors etc . . . .

Which version do you currently have - please give full name and version number as found under Help, About . . .

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jann wrote on 11/25/2017, 4:20 PM

Hi John,

> What is the specification of your computer

I should have power enough:
AMD A10-8750 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G, 3.60 GHz, 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R7 350 video card, 2 GB RAM

> Once a trial version has been installed on a PC and has expired then it cannot be re-installed.

Yes, that's the standard answer - but i have hard to believe there isn't a way. Of course every professional software company has trials versions that can be installed (also again) or get extended. It wouldn't make any sense to block potential customers for testing new program versions.

...Or maybe the answer really is, that Video Pro X hasn't been updated during the last half a year!? :-o

> Which version do you currently have

Movie Edit Pro Plus, newest update (17.0.1.148)

RogerGunkel wrote on 11/25/2017, 5:13 PM

Hi Jann,

My version of VPX is 15.0.5.195

I upgraded it from VPX7 at the beginning of October, so 7 weeks ago. After installing, I found that there was an update which I installed, then there was another update, about 250mb, to the current version about 3 weeks ago. Not really sure why you think there have been no updates for the last half a year.

I have a PC with AMD CPU and AMD radeon graphics, which still has VPX 7 on it, but find it too slow for 4K work, with stuttering and frequent lockups. My new system built in the last twelve months is an Intel i7-6700, 3.4 GHz 4 core 8 thread CPU with 16Gb DDR4 ram. I removed the nVidea graphics card because VPX is optimised for Intel processors and runs much faster for me, using the Intel CPU graphics. I regularly edit up to 3 x 4K parallel video tracks and VPX runs very smoothly. Rendering is also much faster than I get with VPX7 on the same machine. Typically, a timeline with cuts, transitions, titles, and some effects will export to an mp4 file at about 3x real time.

Roger

Last changed by RogerGunkel on 11/25/2017, 5:14 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Videographer and Photographer since 1984 from South Lincolnshire UK. Windows 10 Home 64 bit V1803, Intel I7-6700 3.4GHz, Editing on VPX V16.0.1.255,

jann wrote on 11/26/2017, 3:29 AM

Hi Roger,

> Not really sure why you think there have been no updates for the last half a year.

Because Magix told me so.

I guess this means that there have been some bug-fixing patches, but not any new features or improvements.

Can also see in Magix' website - in Video Pro X "update history" - that last real feature update was in May 2017, and before that January 2017, October 2016 and April 2016.

I'm still tempted to switch over to Video Pro X, but quite worried about the price (unknown price!) for subscription.

Need to also find out, if my plugins and stuff from Movie Edit Pro works with Video Pro X - but as i'm not able to test the program, i can't be sure.

emmrecs wrote on 11/26/2017, 7:19 AM

@jann

Why can you not download, install and run the Trial version? You won't get all the "extras" in trial mode but you should quickly be able to see if it suits you and your workflow.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

jann wrote on 11/26/2017, 7:57 AM

Hi Jeff,

I have tested Video Pro X before - about 6 months ago - when it didn't function so well, so i skipped it. Now i wanted to give it a new try, but apparently can't run the trial version in my computer again.

I'm not so interested to test the "extras", but the NewBlue Elements plugins i already have installed. To see if they are compatible. (As they are not fully compatible with Movie Edit Pro, i'm afraid that might be the case with Video Pro X too as the programs are quite similar).