Comments

rraud wrote on 6/17/2022, 11:01 AM

Can I customize the keyboard to create a shortcut for mute

Yes and no @David-Lay5409 ,
Do you have SF Audio Studio or SF Pro? SFAS does not have a keyboard shortcut editor, but the control file's code can be edited manually. If you have SFP, the shortcut editor is in the 'Options' menu. Select the 'Global' mode type in "Mute" in the search box, then create the desired key command. If it is already being used, try another or remove the default. That said, Sound Forge's 'Mute' command will delete the waveform data. If you wish to only mute your PC's speakers, that would need to be done on the PC (outside of SF). I created an onscreen shortcut to mute the system volume using Nirsoft's free nifty 'command' utilitiy. I then made a keyboard command from that. 'VoluMouse' is another handy Nirsoft utility for controlling system volume. Otherwise Sound Forge's 'Hardware Meters' (View menu) has an output volume fader (which does not affect the file's amplitude), that window also has a "dim" button, which attenuates the output volume about 20dB. The window can be resized and docked to the SF display.

David-Lay5409 wrote on 6/17/2022, 8:46 PM

Thanks for the reply - I have SFAS.

I don't want to mute the speakers - I want to mute the audio in the sound file with a shortcut.

How can I edit the control file's code? Will that have the same effect as a shortcut?

rraud wrote on 6/18/2022, 10:58 AM

What shortcut keys would you like to use @David-Lay5409 ?
All versions of Sound Forge Pro have a 'wizard' type utility to edit the shortcut keys. SF Audio Studio does not have this utility and custom key commands must be written manually. It is basically as simple as entering in a few lines of text to the 'keyboard' file in the Appdata system folder and unlike editing a registry entry, if you mess up the keyboard file, no damage will occur to the PC or Sound Forge.
Not all key combinations or single key commands are possible and most must start with Ctrl, Shift, Alt or a combination of. For example, I use Ctrl+Shift+E to go to the end of the file, Alt+M for 'Mute' and Alt+N to open 'Normalize. I use the single F8 key for 'Edit> Repeat'.
As you are probably aware, a 'Mute' command toolbar icon can be added as well (View> Toolbars> Customize).

David-Lay5409 wrote on 6/18/2022, 8:37 PM

I hadn't even thought about customizing the toolbar! I've added the Mute command and now I'm happy!

Thanks again.