Constant freezing and issues with software

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 8:30 AM

Software freezes EVERY single use, especially when using the MIDI or various instruments in the application. Audio occasionally stops playing when selecting instrument preset, also program freezes completely, though in task manager it does not display "not responding", and I am forced to "end task" as the close or minimize buttons in the application are unresponsive. This is the only software on my PC that ever does this.

Music Maker 2021 Premium is the installed software with version 29.0.5.32(64-bit).

This is incredibly frustrating as I just purchased the program last week and have constant issues MOSTLY with the MIDI and instruments only. There are hardly ZERO problems when working with just the soundpool loops included in my library.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    BATMANS-PUTER
System Manufacturer    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model    ROG Strix GL12CX
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. GL12CX.312, 10/16/2020
SMBIOS Version    3.2
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product    GL12CX
BaseBoard Version    1.0
Platform Role    Desktop
Secure Boot State    On
PCR7 Configuration    Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.18362.1350"
Time Zone    Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory    9.89 GB
Total Virtual Memory    29.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory    18.6 GB
Page File Space    13.5 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection    Off
Virtualization-based security    Not enabled
Device Encryption Support    Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

Comments

SP. wrote on 2/26/2021, 8:41 AM

@cheatcode Are you using an external audio interface or your computers sound chip? Have you selected ASIO as a driver in the program settings? Does the program also crash if you switch the driver to Direct Sound?

In case you only use your audio chipset I guess that it is overloaded and cannot keep up with computations for MIDI and audio in realtime. Computers often use Realtek Audio chipsets which are good enough for playback (like Soundpools) but often not good enough for playing MIDI virtual instruments. In this case it would be a good idea to get an external audio interface.

johnebaker wrote on 2/26/2021, 8:48 AM

@cheatcode

Hi and welcome to the forum.

. . . . I just purchased the program last week . . . .

Did you:

1. have a previous version of Music Maker (MMM) installed before getting the MMM 2021?

2. activate MMM 2021 with the serial number you received by email on purchase?

If you did have an earlier version installed and did not activate MMM 2021 with the new serial number - the program is in effect running as the free version and cannot use the older versions Instruments.

If you purchased the Plus version and had an older version installed, then MMM 2021 is missing the VST Bridge which allows you to use the old VST instruments, this comes with the Premium version only, however can be purchased and added to the Plus version.

3. install all the Extra Content that became available on activation with the new serial number?

If not then do so - this will install updated Instruments as well additional features and functions

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 8:54 AM

@cheatcode Are you using an external audio interface or your computers sound chip? Have you selected ASIO as a driver in the program settings? Does the program also crash if you switch the driver to Direct Sound?

In case you only use your audio chipset I guess that it is overloaded and cannot keep up with computations for MIDI and audio in realtime. Computers often use Realtek Audio chipsets which are good enough for playback (like Soundpools) but often not good enough for playing MIDI virtual instruments. In this case it would be a good idea to get an external audio interface.

I am using Magix Low Latency 2016 Out 1+2

WASAPI Driver: Headphones (4-Arctis 7 Game) headset, my PC does not appear to have ASIO driver, and my soundcard is RealTek however I use my wireless headset.

The sound cutting in and out randomly (still rare though) is not my concern, my issue is that EVERY single time I run MM21 I end up having to end task whenever a MIDI instrument is being used. May be 5 minutes after using it or 30 minutes.

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 8:57 AM

@cheatcode

Hi and welcome to the forum.

. . . . I just purchased the program last week . . . .

Did you:

1. have a previous version of Music Maker (MMM) installed before getting the MMM 2021?

2. activate MMM 2021 with the serial number you received by email on purchase?

If you did have an earlier version installed and did not activate MMM 2021 with the new serial number - the program is in effect running as the free version and cannot use the older versions Instruments.

If you purchased the Plus version and had an older version installed, then MMM 2021 is missing the VST Bridge which allows you to use the old VST instruments, this comes with the Premium version only, however can be purchased and added to the Plus version.

3. install all the Extra Content that became available on activation with the new serial number?

If not then do so - this will install updated Instruments as well additional features and functions

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Hi, I have all the required and activated instruments and add ons that came with the purchase. VST and bridge are installed, as well as the correct Seriel number. I have already been using the program for a week and have made 8-9 tracks produced from the Unlimited Loops subscription.

The only issues I am having with this application is the MIDI editor and various instruments being used. MM21 ends up freezing nearly every time.

Side note, when looking at my CPU usage with the application open my % usage is less than 15% and my memory usage is less than 40%.

emmrecs wrote on 2/26/2021, 9:13 AM

@cheatcode

You should not be using both the Magix Low Latency (ASIO) Driver and WASAPI. I'm pretty certain that will create a quite serious conflict!

If you go into the Advanced settings screen for the Magix driver you should see an option to select your headphones as the output destination. Have a look at the screenshots posted in this thread (the third reply).

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 9:18 AM

@cheatcode

You should not be using both the Magix Low Latency (ASIO) Driver and WASAPI. I'm pretty certain that will create a quite serious conflict!

If you go into the Advanced settings screen for the Magix driver you should see an option to select your headphones as the output destination. Have a look at the screenshots posted in this thread (the third reply).

Jeff
Forum Moderator

According to the application the "Audio Playback" is default selection: Magix Low Latency 2016 Out (1+2)

The only selections here is 3+4, 5+6, 7+8

Driver Selection: WASAPI Driver: Headphones

emmrecs wrote on 2/26/2021, 9:23 AM

@cheatcode

Please post screenshots of the same two screens as shown in that post I linked you to.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 9:26 AM

This is all I see

emmrecs wrote on 2/26/2021, 9:36 AM

@cheatcode

If you compare what you are showing to what is shown in the screenshot in the other post you will see that there are several differences!

As a first stage, on the left hand side, select "ASIO driver" not "WASAPI driver". Then click on the "Advanced" button (near the top) and that will open the second screen in the linked screenshot. That is what would be most useful to see as a screenshot!

Jeff

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 9:36 AM

The program will not operate properly with any other audio settings selected, it in fact crashes on itself several times, and then puts back the original settings in the screenshot above. This is the only settings that will have any audio output in the application.

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 9:38 AM

@cheatcode

If you compare what you are showing to what is shown in the screenshot in the other post you will see that there are several differences!

As a first stage, on the left hand side, select "ASIO driver" not "WASAPI driver". Then click on the "Advanced" button (near the top) and that will open the second screen in the linked screenshot. That is what would be most useful to see as a screenshot!

Jeff

emmrecs wrote on 2/26/2021, 9:38 AM

@cheatcode

OK, but it would still be useful to see the requested screenshot. It will show ALL the available inputs and outputs that the ASIO driver can use; ideally it will include your wireless headphones, I hope!

Jeff

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 9:45 AM

@cheatcode

OK, but it would still be useful to see the requested screenshot. It will show ALL the available inputs and outputs that the ASIO driver can use; ideally it will include your wireless headphones, I hope!

Jeff

Requested picture is above

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 10:24 AM

Also, this is the only application on my PC that will cause all of my icons logos to disappear.

Graham-Hawker wrote on 2/26/2021, 10:50 AM

Things I don't like - wireless headset, I can see that could be a problem dealing with lots of audio, and the resample to 48khz which will cause a blockage on the system.

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 10:54 AM

Things I don't like - wireless headset, I can see that could be a problem dealing with lots of audio, and the resample to 48khz which will cause a blockage on the system.

I use my headset for everything as I use my PC for gaming, streaming, and music (when it works).

Graham-Hawker wrote on 2/26/2021, 11:16 AM

I use my headset for everything as I use my PC for gaming, streaming, and music (when it works).

This doesn't mean it will work well for audio production which can be a very different ball game.

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 11:21 AM

This doesn't mean it will work well for audio production which can be a very different ball game.

Yes but I would doubt audio would cause the entire MM21 application to become completely unresponsive, and nearly crash my computer. This only occurs when using MIDI instruments. Nothing else.

SP. wrote on 2/26/2021, 11:31 AM

@cheatcode Yes, because calculating realtime virtual instrument audio from MIDI notes plus sending it to your headset is very resource intensive and this could overload your system. Usually you would need an external audio interface or a high quality audio production sound card to produce music.

Please try disable everything in your ASIO settings except for your Realtek device by clicking on the blue button next to it and try again.

cheatcode wrote on 2/26/2021, 2:32 PM

I don't want to use external speakers to my PC, that defeats the purpose of using my headset, which is wireless. At this point, I would rather cancel everything and get a full refund for unsatisfactory product performance. I have had MM16 and MM13 and neither had this problem of crashing and freezing related to audio. My PC is more than capable of handling an applications' needs. It is incredibly frustrating that this program is literally unresponsive.

SP. wrote on 2/26/2021, 2:40 PM

@cheatcode The audio engine was changed to 64 bits which is significantly more computationally expensive.

johnebaker wrote on 2/26/2021, 4:46 PM

@cheatcode

Hi

. . . . This only occurs when using MIDI instruments. Nothing else. . . . .

That indicates this is a wrong driver issue as @emmrecs has posted above.

As @Graham-Hawker has commented

. . . .This doesn't mean it will work well for audio production which can be a very different ball game. . . .

Assuming the Arctis 7 game headset is the one with a USB connected transmitter/receiver - then it is classed as a USB headset and these are known to cause many issues with audio production software. You either need a Bluetooth headset or connect by cable direct to the audio card.

If the headset comes with a standard audio cable for direct connection to a computer try this, and use the Magix Low Latency ASIO option.

These are the setting I use and MMM 2021 works correctly.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.