Channel 2 volume is so low I can't hear it

Bob-Konigsberg wrote on 8/10/2024, 1:36 PM

When I record something (Channels 1 and 2), the wave forms on the display look normal, but when I play it back, the sound for channel 2 is so low I can't hear it.

If I save the file and play it back in Windows Media player, then everything is normal.

I'm guessing this is a setting, but haven't found it yet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

Bob

Comments

rraud wrote on 8/11/2024, 10:33 AM

Hi @Bob-Konigsberg,
What version of Sound Forge.. Pro or AS? If you have SF Pro, check the hardware meter volume settings (View menu).
Do the SF playback meters indicate the low level as well?
Try another audio playback driver in Windows sound settings and confirm the L/R balance is centered.
Does this occur with PCM files or just lossy types (MP3 and such) If lossy types only, enable 'Always Proxy compressed formats' in "Options> Preferences> General".
If all the Windows sound settings are good, try the SF reset procedure (File menu).

Bob-Konigsberg wrote on 8/11/2024, 2:38 PM

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

I'm using Sound Forge Audio Studio 17, and the files are MP3. BUT, the missing audio occurs only in Audio Studio, even with MP3's recorded prior to having this problem.

One odd thing is that when I play an audio file recorded in SF/AS on Windows Media Player, it works just fine.

That's why I suspect it's a setting of some sort. I have not KNOWINGLY changed anything, but mistakes do happen which is what I suspect might have happened.

Thanks,

Bob

SP. wrote on 8/11/2024, 2:45 PM

@Bob-Konigsberg You can reset the program settings under the File menu. After this, the program should work like a fresh install. Maybe it will work correctly again.

Or simply try a restart of your computer first. Select the restart option and not the Shut down option. Restarting will reinitialize the audio drivers.

Bob-Konigsberg wrote on 8/11/2024, 5:38 PM

Thanks for your suggestions rraud. That got me thinking more about all the nitty-gritty details.

Rebooting did not help.

What DID help was to look at the Options->Preferences->Audio and change the output/playback from ASIO Low-Latency driver (and the Magix 2016 driver) to the Windows Classic Wave Driver.

I still don't understand why, since the ASIO driver used to work, but now at least I can move forward.

rraud wrote on 8/11/2024, 5:47 PM

The files are MP3. BUT, the missing audio occurs only in Audio Studio, even with MP3's recorded prior to having this problem.

The 'proxy' setting is for lossy files playback. I have not read any reports of that particular issue though.