Cannot save in MP3 format since upgrading.

LaxMedia wrote on 2/28/2022, 12:48 PM

Sound Forge Audio Studio 16 on WIndows 7 64 bit. Just upgraded from older version of sound forge that worked fine. With V16. while trying to save in MP3 format "An error occurred while saving one or more files. An error occurred while opening a codec." I can open MP3 files without a problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled program. I have cleared out cache in general preferences. HELP. I am in the middle of a project.

Comments

rraud wrote on 2/28/2022, 3:10 PM

Assuming you already tried resetting and clearing the cache, the Magix Low Latency 2016 driver is known to cause problems..
See this comment from Magix
 https://www.magix.info/us/forum/audio-issue--1290482/#ca1738999

If this does not help, uninstall using a third-party uninstaller (Revo Uninstall is recommended) that will remove leftover registry entries and other pertinent data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which is usually the root of recurring issues. Then reinstall.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @LaxMedia.

LaxMedia wrote on 2/28/2022, 8:49 PM

Your suggestion did not solve the problem. There still a problem with the MP3 Codec

craig-d wrote on 3/1/2022, 3:39 AM

Hi @LaxMedia...if Revo didn't help, then perhaps you should go into the Internal settings option (you can reach this by clicking: Options > Hold Shift + Preferences > Internal)...then scroll down the list until you find the line 'Activate legacy MP3 plug-in' and write TRUE in the field instead of FALSE. I think this could help...or at least it is worth a try.

LaxMedia wrote on 3/1/2022, 6:52 AM

That didn't help, but nice to know how to access internal preferences. I use other software for both audio and video editing and also have K-Lite Codec Pack with the professional version of Franhaufer codec. MP3 formatting works fine on all the other software so there is something different with the new version of Sound Forge 16 (SONY earlier version also worked fine) . I am guessing that Sound Forge won't overwrite with the new "special" codec. Does anyone know the actual file name (maybe l3codeca.acm or l3codep.acm ) and location that Sound Forge is trying to install? I probably will have to temporarily remove to try reinstalling with Sound Forge. There are multiple locations for each file.

rraud wrote on 3/1/2022, 9:33 AM

The Sound Forge default MP3 codec is here:
C:\Program Files\SOUND FORGE\SOUND FORGE Audio Studio 16.0\FileIO Plug-Ins\mp3plug2\mp3plug2.dll

I am surprised uninstalling with Revo and reinstalling did not help. Did you use the advanced scan mode?
Perhaps the K-Lite Codec Pack is forking things up. Many expert users over on the Vegas Pro forum recommend avoiding it. That said, I had the K-Lite Codec Pack on an old PC when did not cause any issues with SF or VP.

LaxMedia wrote on 3/1/2022, 12:53 PM

I give up wasting any more time on this. I have tried completely deleting the software and removing any registry entries, deleted left over files etc. remaining even after REVO did its thing.    After reinstalling the mp3.dll does not register as a valid codec.  I tried copying into System32 and SystemWow64 as where the other codecs reside without luck. I do not know why SF is not using the standard and professional mp3 codecs as the original program did.  I am sure my other professional software utilizing mp3 has probably mucked up the deal but  it worked fine with earlier SONY version which I am reinstalling and other media converters I use.  I will keep the software to do limited work that the out of date SONY software won't do but this is surely disappointing and frustrating glitch. Thanks all for your suggestions.

rraud wrote on 3/1/2022, 1:43 PM

You can request a Magix Sound Forge Tech Support ticket.
It is a little confusing though.. peruse these instructions from a recent comment: https://www.magix.info/us/forum/unable-to-record--1272206/#ca1661047

Former user wrote on 3/11/2022, 9:10 AM

Not sure but I found out that the developers changed the mp3 codec in SF16. Since Sony SF through SF15, SF had been using the "xing" codec. In SF16 it seems that they change it to FhG (Fraunhofer). If you check the details of MP3 Custom Settings -> Stereo Encoding and Property Marking options are no longer available. BTW this is in SF16 Pro.