Can't get Sound Forge Pro 14 or Vegas Video Pro 18 to reinstall

jeff-powell wrote on 2/8/2022, 12:45 AM

Last Friday, using SF Pro 14 and a handful of third-party plugins, I was able to complete a client game audio project with no problems. Then, on Sunday, the program wouldn't launch at all. In fact all my Magix programs wouldn't launch: Sound Forge Pro 12, Vegas Video Pro 18, Sound Forge Studio 12, Audio Cleaner (which I've never used).

I had to complete a commercial VO edit and music mix using Cubase - fortunately I had that as a workaround.

Monday, I uninstalled everything, went to my Magix account and downloaded fresh installation files for SF Pro 14 and Vegas Pro 18, and attempted to reinstall. Both programs would NOT reinstall - no error messages, only the first progress bar, then POOF! Gone!

I found online instructions for clean uninstalls for Magix programs, including registry keys. Deleted all related folders and files I could find for EVERYTHING related to Magix versions of Sound Forge and Vegas Video. Still no luck with either program.

My setup: HP Envy laptop, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Edition. Main I/O: Focusrite 18i8 generation 2. I mainly use Vegas for audio mixes and occasional video editing only.

In 25 years of using Sound Forge, I've never experienced a problem like this. Could a recent Windows update have broken everything Magix-related?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 2/8/2022, 4:20 AM

@jeff-powell

Hi

. . . . Could a recent Windows update have broken everything Magix-related . . . .

It is remotely possible, however it is more likely that an Antivirus update has 'broken' the programs, this has been seen before where the Folder protection/Real time scan/Ransomware protection features detect the program or parts of the program as suspect and quarantines them or blocks access to a folder.

Try turning off your AV - if the program work, add exceptions for the features mentioned above.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jeff-powell wrote on 2/8/2022, 9:30 AM

John,

Thank you for the quick response. I had tried turning off Windows Defender during one install attempt (both SF and Vegas), but I still got the same non-result.

I got a surprisingly quick response from a tech support ticket - the thinking was a long similar lines. They also provided some folder/file info to dig into, as well as a direct download link.

I will dig into this and report back. It may take a few days, as I'm suddenly on the road to attend a family matter (when it rains, it pours).

Again, thanks for the ideas! I'll update when I can get back to working on this issue.

-Jeff

rraud wrote on 2/8/2022, 10:47 AM

Uninstalling with a third-party uninstaller like 'Revo Uninstall' can remove left-over registry entries and other pertinent data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which in usually the root of recurring issues
Revo Uninstall has pro and freeware versions, the free version is usually adequate in most cases For a 'forced uninstall' the pro version is needed.
https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

jeff-powell wrote on 2/15/2022, 12:15 AM

I thought about all of the suggestions while I was on the road to Ohio. I finally got an afternoon to spend on fixing this issue - thought I'd share what I did.

A day or two after I first posted here, I noticed that my network adapter card was starting to act up...again. By the time I got back from Ohio, I couldn't connect to the internet at all.

Two or three times a year I get a "Wi-fi doesn't have a Valid IP Configuration" message. It's been like that for the past 5 or so years with my current HP laptop - apparently certain Windows 10 updates corrupt a driver somewhere and I have to manually reset the IP configuration using the command prompt. It took me nearly three years to finally find a solution that works, without me having to call HP tech support anymore.

Anyway, I had to do this network adaptor fix before I could get back to the Sound Forge issue. But, just as I got my laptop reconnected to the internet, Nvidia popped up a message recommending a graphics card driver update. I wanted to see if their installer was working. It did.

So, before I started looking for registry cleaners or anything related to anti-virus programs, I thought I should try the Sound Forge installer one more time. Lo and behold, this time it worked. And, the Vegas installer worked!

My hunch is this had more to do with the network adapter getting corrupted by a Windows update than my graphics card asking for a new driver. Or, maybe it was neither. But, I wanted to share this, as we all know the strangest little things can cause a lot of havoc sometimes.

Again, thank you both for the quick response!

-Jeff