Automatic parsing of .wav file - Ripping Vinyl

Derek-Au wrote on 2/19/2024, 4:57 PM

Hi:

I am digitizing my vinyl library. Right now I'm recording one side of the LP per .wav file. Afterwards, I manually separate the .wav file to separate .wav files, one for each song.

Are there there any tools, features, techniques that could automate the track separation process?

Thanks,

Derek

Comments

SP. wrote on 2/19/2024, 8:18 PM

@Derek-Au Depends on your version. Sound Forge Pro can automatically create regions based on silence in your recordings. These can then be exported as individual audio files. You can also write a script to automate this for as many files and folders as you want. But you need to know how to program in C#. With this you can basically do everything that C# or the Sound Forge API will allow you to do, like splitting files, renaming them, add meta-data etc.

Derek-Au wrote on 2/19/2024, 8:49 PM

Thanks! I will need to upgrade. Does it let you set a silence threshold? How does it know background surface noise from a fade out?

rraud wrote on 2/20/2024, 1:15 PM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Derek-Au.

In Sound Forge Pro, the 'Auto Region' tool has settings to adjust Threshold, Attack and Release. It is not an A.I. tool but works relatively well.
SFP also includes the legacy Noise Reduction Pack (aka, NR-2.0) and iZ's RX Elements. Both of which have specific click and crackle removal tools. The SF Pro Suite version includes Steinberg's SpectraLayers Pro. which IMO is worth the upgrade cost alone.