Audio Preview - Slow response since many versions back

Paul-Jinkerson wrote on 3/23/2021, 6:35 PM

Hi, long time SF Pro user...

A question for anyone that might know since I have tried everything over the years and/or just stopped using audio preview in general because its too slow to respond(2-3secs).

In SF Pro, both the file explorer pop up and the browser itself is the same...You want to just browse through files real quick to find something, and you click(auto preview) and then 2-3 seconds later, you hear the preview. Manual preview is the same.

This has been an issue since even Sonic Foundry owned sound forge...it seems.

Does any long time user experience the same over the years?

I currently run Win10 Pro, RME Fireface UCX in ASIO mode...very low buffer of 128 with no issues in any other audio editor or DAW. The same issue occurs in SF10 Pro 10.0e build 507, and the latest SF14 Pro.

I am also a user of Reaper and its preview algorithm/engine is very responsive and quick to play.

If it's just the old preview codebase that has been around for years, then I understand and maybe Magix will get to it and I will just not use it in my general workflow.

It would also be nice for longer audio files, if you hit spacebar to start manual preview, that you can hit space again to stop and not just repeat playback. You need to manually click the stop button.

Before I submit a support ticket about this, I was just trying to get feedback from other users.

Thanks!

Comments

condex wrote on 3/23/2021, 11:47 PM

The same issue was raised nearly 3 weeks ago in:

https://www.magix.info/us/forum/auto-preview-speed--1269412/#ca1648119

This may partially address the preview response period. I can't recall there having been a delayed replay response time with SFP 10 to 15 inclusive.

Paul-Jinkerson wrote on 3/24/2021, 12:48 AM

Thanks!

These forums search function is quirky.

When searching for 'sound forge pc auto-preview", that post does not show up.

"auto-preview", works.

"sound forge auto-preview", works

I guess it does not like specifying "pc". Now I know.